Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No, I wasn’t convinced at all.

Its funny, because when he initially arrived....He was mustard....hence the permanent signing.

I can only guess, why some of these players are hit and miss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Agreed here.  However, Brighton's model is buy lots of players in that price range, farm them out on loan for a year or two and then bring the ones who are ready back in.   You can see us doing similar business with the aggressive transfer business in the academy through to prospects like Jhon Duran.   The Asensio link is an interesting one.  He's definitely the sort of player we need if we are looking to upgrade on Buendia, but then it's definitely in his interest to be able to say to Madrid other clubs are in for him if he wants to renew on favourable terms.   It's odd that he's so close to the end of his contract without having already renewed, and we definitely ain't paying the wages a guy who has spent his career in the Champions League would expect (or can get elsewhere) but it's a fun link.  Won't happen of course, but fun. 

I remember a conversation with Brian Little, where he said " We don't go in for a player, unless we are pretty sure about getting him.....because it creates a derogatory scenario, if you keep losing out"

Remembering that conversation, I would suspect these links are like frogspawn, breeding at a heavy rate.

We just have to wait, until the real ones, are declared.

19 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I do think we have a lot of promising youth too. I could say the likes of Feeney breaking into the first team in the next few years. Kid has a major future. 

fingers crossed.

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its funny, because when he initially arrived....He was mustard....hence the permanent signing.

I can only guess, why some of these players are hit and miss.

When he signed on loan yea he showed some good stuff then it fell off for like 10 games or something.

I was very uneasy about it that summer, the only thing in my head for sure was at least it should be good for marketing in a few places in the world.

• Like 1

Right heres the deal the first name on that hit list was Mcginn NOT Mings, we were all gunning for him at the time of Emery’s arrival (including myself) and rightly so.. however he has now become along with Mings as the first names on the teamsheet , it is quite a remarkable turnaround from them both but hope that puts this dilemma to bed.

Now the one player who us definitely at the top of that list now is Leon Bailey who has been awful and most if not all of us can agree and should be getting shipped out the first team with immediate effect.

It would be a terrible decision to sign a new CB with intentions of dropping Konsa and Mings who have been solid and shown great progress, we have Diego who is supposed to be a better player than them BOTH so that is not an area of our concern imo we can get by comfortably with them boys.

Also Guendouzi for me personally is a name we were more than happy to toy with when the aim was mid tablish 9-12 BUT if we are going in that powerhouse direction then our targets/options will have now changed and im certain 4-6th are the positions we will be challenging for next season mark my words our ambition is HUGE and only a few of us are recognising this at current. But this will mean a higher calibre of player or quality will be purchased.

• Thanks 1

I think with 4 or so fresh additions under Emery will not only be knocking on the door of champions league places next season but will be very comfortable in it, im only fearing Man City at this point as i can see us building a very solid attack on top of a quite rockhouse defence come summer… we are willing tear down the fences and the elite 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Right heres the deal the first name on that hit list was Mcginn NOT Mings, we were all gunning for him at the time of Emery’s arrival (including myself) and rightly so.. however he has now become along with Mings as the first names on the teamsheet , it is quite a remarkable turnaround from them both but hope that puts this dilemma to bed.

Now the one player who us definitely at the top of that list now is Leon Bailey who has been awful and most if not all of us can agree and should be getting shipped out the first team with immediate effect.

It would be a terrible decision to sign a new CB with intentions of dropping Konsa and Mings who have been solid and shown great progress, we have Diego who is supposed to be a better player than them BOTH so that is not an area of our concern imo we can get by comfortably with them boys.

Also Guendouzi for me personally is a name we were more than happy to toy with when the aim was mid tablish 9-12 BUT if we are going in that powerhouse direction then our targets/options will have now changed and im certain 4-6th are the positions we will be challenging for next season mark my words our ambition is HUGE and only a few of us are recognising this at current. But this will mean a higher calibre of player or quality will be purchased.

Just because players have improved under Emery, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign even better than them if available. If there is a CB out there who will come in and be better than Mings or Konsa we should go and get them. That’s how we push up the table. If the new signing can’t get in because Mings/Konsa raise their game even more then great.

Martinez is probably the only world class we have, everyone else can be improved upon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just because players have improved under Emery, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign even better than them if available. If there is a CB out there who will come in and be better than Mings or Konsa we should go and get them. That’s how we push up the table. If the new signing can’t get in because Mings/Konsa raise their game even more then great.

Martinez is probably the only world class we have, everyone else can be improved upon. 

But i feel like its our attack areas which require the main investment and if those areas were firing on all cylinders we would be in top four as our defence suggests its pretty solid as of now but eventually yeah they will need to be upgraded.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

McGinn isn’t one of the first names on the team sheet for me.  He’s great and has been a great turnaround but players like Martinez, Mings, Moreno, Dougie, Kamara, Ollie are well before him. Players like McGinn should be back up/option players next season if we want to progress.

Cant see us not playing Mcginn right now hes been playing immense and doesn’t deserve to lose his position, ramsey, bailey, cash/young, is where we can replace all three and juggle the rest. But we should see three new names coming straight into that starting eleven, anyone else will have to wait until theres a dip in form to get a chance but other than those guys none of these lot should be getting replaced without it warranted

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Cant see us not playing Mcginn right now hes been playing immense and doesn’t deserve to lose his position, ramsey, bailey, cash/young, is where we can replace all three and juggle the rest. But we should see three new names coming straight into that starting eleven, anyone else will have to wait until theres a dip in form to get a chance but other than those guys none of these lot should be getting replaced without it warranted

There is no room for sentimentality though, agreed McGinn has been better but he is limited...

Progress and change is the only constant (or it should be).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Can’t agree.  Kamara and Dougie are nailed on for me, add another to midfield..let’s say Guendouzi for arguments sake and then others to play further forward with Ollie…a Nico Williams, Torres…even Ollie playing off a striker or vice versa.  McGinn next season won’t be starting I don’t think.  I think that is warranted that those three positions should be upgraded.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Niall said:

I presume you've watched Mings all season and obviously realise how good he's been. How often have you seen Torres play? Why do you think he would be an upgrade?

I haven’t watched any of Torres this season. But spend an hour or so looking at him and then back it up with his stats and you can form an opinion. He’s also younger and has European football experience. Mings is great at some things but on the ball and his passing range is limited imo, upgrade on that and it improves us. 

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Our main targets should be at a minimum 

• Nico Williams (Ath Bilbao) FW
  • Vanderson (Monaco) RB
  • Pedro Goncalves (Sporting CF) LW/M

Williams and Vanderson are wonderful players. Not convinced by Goncalves though.

21 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Williams and Vanderson are wonderful players. Not convinced by Goncalves though.

It’s funny how we all see players differently, see I’d be saying Goncalves and Vanderson are wonderful players but I’m not convinced by Nico Williams.

For me, in order, I think we should go…

Starter- RB/CB - Timber or A. Silva £45m

Starter- RW/SS - Goncalves £35m

Starter - RM - Szboszlai or Otavio £50m

Starter - LM - Lee Kang-In £18m

Starter/Comp - CM - Kokcu £35m

Chuck in a ST (Openda) and a younger CBL (Inacio) and that would be perfect. Not asking for much am I?!?