Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tbf Arsenal are at a different level and place to us.

They were finishing 8th twice when he was there between ‘19-‘21 so we can’t confuse today with then.

I’m not convinced by him based on his time at Arsenal but if Emery wants him I’m not arguing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They were finishing 8th twice when he was there between ‘19-‘21 so we can’t confuse today with then.

I’m not convinced by him based on his time at Arsenal but if Emery wants him I’m not arguing.

True but that was really poor seasons for them. Some of the worst in their Premier League history. 

We would love to finish 8th.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but that was really poor seasons for them. Some of the worst in their Premier League history. 

We would love to finish 8th.

Yeah maybe but the guy played 49 games during that period, didn’t wow in this league by any stretch of the imagination, I’m not sure he takes us up a level or better than what we have which is the point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it depends what you mean by better...in terms of context....I think Howe has bought well, pragmatic, but well....I think he has gone about the task, a bit like Brentford, have.

I don't doubt they've bought well. They've improved where they needed to. Point still stands that player for player Emery inherited the better squad and first XI, so less work to do to get it to a competitive level for Europe (like I say I think with Emery and this squad we are capable already). Even with the squads as they stand now, Emery having had two fewer windows than Howe, I'm not sure I'm taking more of their players than ours for a combined XI:

image.png.644d49843c9d29a638b36e746fc2df08.png

Taking out the highlighted players (green 1st window, orange 2nd, yellow third) I think gives and idea of the how far behind us the squad Howe inherited was. You are adding back players like Clark, Shelvey, etc. to fill it out.

And I'm not sure about the Brentford comparison. Newcastle have spent a lot more on mostly more highly rated players.

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Newcastle have focused more than us on defence, ( not just the back 4) and lowered their goals against column drastically..... I think we have focused  more offensively, and some haven't worked out as well as we would have liked.

They have because that's where they needed the most work. Prior to Emery we haven't because under the last two managers basically the same defence has shown itself capable of performing to a decent level.

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think they have better players generally than us, but they seem a better team, in as much as harder to play against.

I'm not sure it's so easy to judege at this point in time, as we are clearly much improved under Emery compared to when we last faced them. While they are in somewhat of a slump.

• Like 1

What I’ve noticed from these esteemed pages, is that firstly some people have a greater knowledge of a wealth of players than I ever will and secondly also have very strong opinions on these players suitability or otherwise to play for us. 

Regardless of whether they are right of wrong, I think it’s fair to assume that those people employed by AVFC, will quite likely know of all of these players and have a much deeper knowledge of them than any of us could possibly know given their and our relative access to relevant information. Add to this the obsessive nature of our current manager and it’s fair to say any due diligence will certainly be done on all signings. 

Back in the “good old days”, before ‘tinterweb web, could you imagine the outraged screams when we replaced the golden boy of strikers, Andy Gray, with a middle of the road journey man called Peter Withe. Who was later described by the man still largely regarded as our best manager for 50 years, as the last piece in the jigsaw. 

My point is, sorry I’ve taken so long to get there, the people who really know, we should and maybe for the first time in many a year with Unai, can trust. 

Hopefully………

• Like 2

Seen this morning that Wolves are linked with Alex Scott. I’d love us to sign him, reminds me so much of Grealish. 

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

I don't doubt they've bought well. They've improved where they needed to. Point still stands that player for player Emery inherited the better squad and first XI, so less work to do to get it to a competitive level for Europe (like I say I think with Emery and this squad we are capable already). Even with the squads as they stand now, Emery having had two fewer windows than Howe, I'm not sure I'm taking more of their players than ours for a combined XI:

Taking out the highlighted players (green 1st window, orange 2nd, yellow third) I think gives and idea of the how far behind us the squad Howe inherited was. You are adding back players like Clark, Shelvey, etc. to fill it out.

And I'm not sure about the Brentford comparison. Newcastle have spent a lot more on mostly more highly rated players.

They have because that's where they needed the most work. Prior to Emery we haven't because under the last two managers basically the same defence has shown itself capable of performing to a decent level.

I'm not sure it's so easy to judege at this point in time, as we are clearly much improved under Emery compared to when we last faced them. While they are in somewhat of a slump.

Good post. 

I'd say if you look at the profile players, player for player we probably are at least even. But if you look at their defense, their first choice fullbacks are better defenders, and with Burn at left back they are bigger. Then if you look at their wingers they have more pace, workrate, and better pressing. For me this is the main differences between the two teams. 

As a result they play an aggressive high press, on the foundation of a strong defense, that can go long over the top or in behind to any of the front 3, or go long to the striker or Joelinton if they themselves can't play out. It's a very pragmatic style of play the work to their strengths.

We on the other hand have a squad where our defense isn't technically proficient enough to play out to a high level, but an attack where Watkins is the only real target for longer passes. Our attacking players behind the strikers lack pace and physicality, which means we have to play the ball shorter on the floor.

However to do that sufficiently we need two centre back that can short pass well at a  quicker tempo (which we lack), and / or another central midfielder that can both short pass well at a high tempo, and carry the ball. So we need at least two first team players, one in central midfield, and one in central defence (preferably RCB), to get us better in the build up phase. We also need a pacy right winger that presses far more aggressively than Bailey and Traore, but also can finish, and a left winger with pace and skill, to change things up.

The other option is to put some faith in Duran and play him off the right, Watkins off the left, and midfield 4 made from McGinn, Ramsey, Kamara, Luiz, and Dendonker, play Cash and Moreno at fullback, and play pure counter attacking football. This way we can go long down both flanks, and have plenty of protection for the defense, with the fullbacks providing width.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

I think they have lost their edge, as opposed to being in a slump....they are still not easy to beat, for the majority of the Prem.

I hope we mirror, SOME of what they have done, not all.....In the forthcoming transfer window.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Good post. 

I'd say if you look at the profile players, player for player we probably are at least even. But if you look at their defense, their first choice fullbacks are better defenders, and with Burn at left back they are bigger. Then if you look at their wingers they have more pace, workrate, and better pressing. For me this is the main differences between the two teams. 

As a result they play an aggressive high press, on the foundation of a strong defense, that can go long over the top or in behind to any of the front 3, or go long to the striker or Joelinton if they themselves can't play out. It's a very pragmatic style of play the work to their strengths.

We on the other hand have a squad where our defense isn't technically proficient enough to play out to a high level, but an attack where Watkins is the only real target for longer passes. Our attacking players behind the strikers lack pace and physicality, which means we have to play the ball shorter on the floor.

However to do that sufficiently we need two centre back that can short pass well at a  quicker tempo (which we lack), and / or another central midfielder that can both short pass well at a high tempo, and carry the ball. So we need at least two first team players, one in central midfield, and one in central defence (preferably RCB), to get us better in the build up phase. We also need a pacy right winger that presses far more aggressively than Bailey and Traore, but also can finish, and a left winger with pace and skill, to change things up.

The other option is to put some faith in Duran and play him off the right, Watkins off the left, and midfield 4 made from McGinn, Ramsey, Kamara, Luiz, and Dendonker, play Cash and Moreno at fullback, and play pure counter attacking football. This way we can go long down both flanks, and have plenty of protection for the defense, with the fullbacks providing width.

makes sense.

But if you look at their defense, their first choice fullbacks are better defenders

Are they? I wouldn't class Trippier as any better than what we have defensively. Not sure stats show any drastic difference. I'd take Trippier over Cash (or as an alternate option) because he offers better chance creation from wide plus a set piece threat, but that's it.

Burn is a different type of defender as he's basically a centre back playing at full back, which may be closer to what Emery may want this summer for the right side if he is indeed trying to emulate his Villarreal set up. He obviously better aerial than pretty much any full back, but that's because really hes a 6'5" centre back. He's not so good at other defensive aspects of a more traditional fullback or a wing back role. And personally, if we are looking for a converted center back to play right back this summer, I'd hope for someone a bit better all round than Dan Burn.

Then if you look at their wingers they have more pace, workrate, and better pressing.

I haven't see enough of Newcastle's attacking players to know what they are like defensively. I remember them having a good team set up against us to press. I'd be surprise if the work rate and pressing ability of the likes of Buendia and McGinn are much behind players like Almiron, Willock, ASM, etc.

Not sure I agree with much of this. We aren't looking for quick tempo from the back. We appear to be looking for more patience and the ability to then spot when gaps open, either wide or in centre mid, for us to exploit and up the pace. Konsa plays pretty safe and isn't going to launch many attacks, but at least generally keeps is in possession well. I expect Carlos will provide a more expansive range of passing while being at least as technically competent, if not better. Mings takes more risks and occassionally doesn't execute as well as he could, but he takes a lot more responsibility for the out ball and given that does it pretty well I think. Neither Konsa or Mings have been perfect in possession since Emery came in, but given the learning curve that always comes with this style of build up, it's expected they'll make mistakes, and on the whole they've done pretty well. With Carlos, Mings and Konsa, I don't see centre back being anywhere near a priority this summer.

Also, centre mids who can pass the ball well and carry it as well (while also being pretty defensively sound)? That's Kamara and Luiz. We lack depth in centre mid, sure. But replacing either of these is even further down the list of priorities than centre back.

I agree Bailey doesn't really suit the current set up, which is a shame because I've seen him tear teams apart at Leverkusen. But he's not quite right for the central role he's doing and the wide left is occupied mostly by the full backs (hence why I'm not sure we are looking for a left winger, if we wanted one we'd just put Bailey there). Traore not really worth mentioning, he's here to make up numbers at this point and will most likely not be here after the summer.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think they have lost their edge, as opposed to being in a slump....they are still not easy to beat, for the majority of the Prem.

Sure they aren't conceding many. Basically the same excellent rate in the last 8 as the season so far.

However 3 goals scored in those 8? From 32 in the previous 16 games? That's not pretty.

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope we mirror, SOME of what they have done, not all.....In the forthcoming transfer window.

I only use the comparison in the sense of similar start points, similar level of improvement shown, presumably similar budgets plus I'd expect pretty direct competition with them next season. The specific issues we need to fix are clearly different to theirs, and I think fewer. But what they have done is target and prioritise those big issues and spend to the right level for the most part to get the right level of improvement. Not rip everthing up and start again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Are they? I wouldn't class Trippier as any better than what we have defensively. Not sure stats show any drastic difference. I'd take Trippier over Cash (or as an alternate option) because he offers better chance creation from wide plus a set piece threat, but that's it.

Burn is a different type of defender as he's basically a centre back playing at full back, which may be closer to what Emery may want this summer for the right side if he is indeed trying to emulate his Villarreal set up. He obviously better aerial than pretty much any full back, but that's because really hes a 6'5" centre back. He's not so good at other defensive aspects of a more traditional fullback or a wing back role. And personally, if we are looking for a converted center back to play right back this summer, I'd hope for someone a bit better all round than Dan Burn.

I haven't see enough of Newcastle's attacking players to know what they are like defensively. I remember them having a good team set up against us to press. I'd be surprise if the work rate and pressing ability of the likes of Buendia and McGinn are much behind players like Almiron, Willock, ASM, etc.

Not sure I agree with much of this. We aren't looking for quick tempo from the back. We appear to be looking for more patience and the ability to then spot when gaps open, either wide or in centre mid, for us to exploit and up the pace. Konsa plays pretty safe and isn't going to launch many attacks, but at least generally keeps is in possession well. I expect Carlos will provide a more expansive range of passing while being at least as technically competent, if not better. Mings takes more risks and occassionally doesn't execute as well as he could, but he takes a lot more responsibility for the out ball and given that does it pretty well I think. Neither Konsa or Mings have been perfect in possession since Emery came in, but given the learning curve that always comes with this style of build up, it's expected they'll make mistakes, and on the whole they've done pretty well. With Carlos, Mings and Konsa, I don't see centre back being anywhere near a priority this summer.

Also, centre mids who can pass the ball well and carry it as well (while also being pretty defensively sound)? That's Kamara and Luiz. We lack depth in centre mid, sure. But replacing either of these is even further down the list of priorities than centre back.

I agree Bailey doesn't really suit the current set up, which is a shame because I've seen him tear teams apart at Leverkusen. But he's not quite right for the central role he's doing and the wide left is occupied mostly by the full backs (hence why I'm not sure we are looking for a left winger, if we wanted one we'd just put Bailey there). Traore not really worth mentioning, he's here to make up numbers at this point and will most likely not be here after the summer.

Dan Burn is a very good defender, far better than Digne and Moreno. As for Trippier his positioning is superior to Cash.

McGinn is a central midfielder playing as a midfielder in a narrow right wing position. Newcastle play proper wingers. Almiron is relentless, and very quick. Joelinton is a huge winger and quick. ASM very quick, Murphy very quick. Even their slowest winger Frasier is quicker than Coutinho and Buendia. Buendia is slow and lightweight, of you're being pressed by him would you be intimidated?

Patient doesn't mean slow! Man City defenders go slow, then all of a sudden a quick pass and move or two later they're on the halfway line. Konsa and to a lesser extent Mings are rather pedestrian on the ball. So Carlos hasn't played 4 matches yet and is coming of a ruptured Achillies! Plus Carlos and Mings both prefer the left cb position. Konsa for me is a clear weak point in our ball playing.  I the centre backs can't move the ball with a good tempo when needed we will never be able to play through a well executed high press. 

Bailey isn't suited to the high press and he isn't brave in the tackle. He's being asked to play very high up, coupled with his weak press, he isn’t involved much as much of our possession  comes in our own half. This is partly tactical (particularly away from home) but also an inability to get the ball out without resorting to long ball. If we have more possession in opponents halves and get the ball to Bailey in space facing their defence he is a major threat, but this peripheral figure he has been lately, is useless. But if we had a player aggressive that gets stuck in, with pace, them he would be able to create something that way as well. If we can't get Bailey on the ball in areas he can affect the game he has no value being on the pitch. Emery clearly likes his wingers inverted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

In the last 2 seasons Newcastle have bought in €145m worth of attacking player in Isak, Woods and Gordon. Probably more than most clubs.

What about Bruno, Burn, Trippier, and Targett? That is nearly another 100m.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Teamtalk via Marca have linked us to Dani Ceballos(apparently sent him a contract) and Inigo Martinez

Inigo Martinez was highly rated years ago and thought he'd go to Man. City when Pep first went there but went to Bilbao instead and stagnated. Bit slow and gets sent off a few times a season.

Ceballos had a stormer on his debut for Arsenal and then barely did anything for months so not convinced by that one, hopefully just an alternative for Guendouzi.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tbf Arsenal are at a different level and place to us. I mean they may even win the title. He may not be good enough for where they are right now but I’m sure he would be good for us.  I’d be happy with this signing if it happened. 

He was there when they were finishing 8th in the league and not making much of an impact.

31 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Dan Burn is a very good defender, far better than Digne and Moreno. As for Trippier his positioning is superior to Cash.

image.thumb.png.31da679b1d83a3965a22f8789078f743.png

Stats from this season don't exactly seem to tell that story. Doesn't look like much in it between Cash and Trippier. Burn looks like a centre back who can win aerials block shots and make clearances but doesn't like players running at him because he more often than not loses out.

57 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

McGinn is a central midfielder playing as a midfielder in a narrow right wing position. Newcastle play proper wingers. Almiron is relentless, and very quick. Joelinton is a huge winger and quick. ASM very quick, Murphy very quick. Even their slowest winger Frasier is quicker than Coutinho and Buendia. Buendia is slow and lightweight, of you're being pressed by him would you be intimidated?

Not sure what the point here is on McGinn. He's arguably closest to the Newcastle players listed in terms of position under Emery, so the comparison is fair.

Statistically only Joelinton looks close in terms of volume and effectiveness defensively. Buendia comes close in terms of volume (and ahead of everyone listed in terms of attacking 3rd challenges) but is less effective than them in terms of result of challenges (agree his size doesn't help). However, Buendia's defensive work rate is incredible, he's really not that slow off the ball, and his positioning when pressing is very smart. He's only behind Joelinton for ball recoveries and makes considerable more interceptions than ASM, Almiron and Murphy. And for someone so small and lightweight, he wins 50% more aerial duels per 90 than Almiron, ASM and Murphy put together.

And I've just looked at Coutinho defensively as well. Much closer to McGinn/Joelinton/Buendia in terms of defensive volume. More effective in the tackle than anyone mentioned above. Wins more aerial duels than Almiron and ASM put together.

On the ball, Buendia and Coutinho are operating as inside playmakers, not wingers. They don't need to be especially quick running with the ball. They are agile and tricky enough to beat a defender.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Patient doesn't mean slow! Man City defenders go slow, then all of a sudden a quick pass and move or two later they're on the halfway line. Konsa and to a lesser extent Mings are rather pedestrian on the ball. So Carlos hasn't played 4 matches yet and is coming of a ruptured Achillies! Plus Carlos and Mings both prefer the left cb position. Konsa for me is a clear weak point in our ball playing.  I the centre backs can't move the ball with a good tempo when needed we will never be able to play through a well executed high press. 

We've seen this slow then quick thing execute numerous times pretty effectively, generally through Mings who I would not call pedestrian at all. He's not always as neat as some others, but he can play at a tempo and will attempt more risky balls that are sometimes needed than Konsa. I agree Konsa is the weaker of the two, but only in that he seems less willing to up tempo and take risks on the ball. He's pretty safe with the ball, just maybe too safe sometimes.

Carlos sure is somewhat unknown following injury, but if he comes back ok (and we've got plenty of time before the summer to assess this) he'll be IMO a good fit next to Mings. Sure, he was played more on the left side at Sevilla, but that seemed more down to his partner than anything. He's had seasons in his career where he's been the right sided centre back. He's predominantly right footed. And one thing seems especially good at is switching play with long balls. Going by our play to date under Emery, it seems more useful for these to be going right to left than the other way.

Assuming Carlos is back to his previous levels, a centre back replacement again is low priority. Our presumably decent but nevertheless limited budget this summer is much better used elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Bailey isn't suited to the high press and he isn't brave in the tackle. He's being asked to play very high up, coupled with his weak press, he isn’t involved much as much of our possession  comes in our own half. This is partly tactical (particularly away from home) but also an inability to get the ball out without resorting to long ball. If we have more possession in opponents halves and get the ball to Bailey in space facing their defence he is a major threat, but this peripheral figure he has been lately, is useless. But if we had a player aggressive that gets stuck in, with pace, them he would be able to create something that way as well. If we can't get Bailey on the ball in areas he can affect the game he has no value being on the pitch. Emery clearly likes his wingers inverted.

Agree Bailey isn't suited to the defensive requirements or the more high central position and bringing someone else into this position in the summer is high priority. From an attacking sense in our set up he would want to be wide in the 4, but that probably doesn't work left with overlapping fullbacks. Right side might work more, but like you say the defensive side isn't as strong.

Not sure I follow the long ball comment. I don't see us resorting to this particularly often. And stats suggest that since Emery arrived we are just below the PL average in terms of long balls and avg completed pass distance. We were the marignally the other side of that average under Gerrard.

Not sure Emery is tied to having inverted wide players both sides. He didn't operate at Villarreal like this, where he had more of a converted centre back on the right side of defence with a more out and out winger ahead, with a more similar set up to what we have now on the left side. We could see moves towards more of this asymmetrical set up this summer.

7 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

image.thumb.png.31da679b1d83a3965a22f8789078f743.png

Stats from this season don't exactly seem to tell that story. Doesn't look like much in it between Cash and Trippier. Burn looks like a centre back who can win aerials block shots and make clearances but doesn't like players running at him because he more often than not loses out.

Not sure what the point here is on McGinn. He's arguably closest to the Newcastle players listed in terms of position under Emery, so the comparison is fair.

Statistically only Joelinton looks close in terms of volume and effectiveness defensively. Buendia comes close in terms of volume (and ahead of everyone listed in terms of attacking 3rd challenges) but is less effective than them in terms of result of challenges (agree his size doesn't help). However, Buendia's defensive work rate is incredible, he's really not that slow off the ball, and his positioning when pressing is very smart. He's only behind Joelinton for ball recoveries and makes considerable more interceptions than ASM, Almiron and Murphy. And for someone so small and lightweight, he wins 50% more aerial duels per 90 than Almiron, ASM and Murphy put together.

And I've just looked at Coutinho defensively as well. Much closer to McGinn/Joelinton/Buendia in terms of defensive volume. More effective in the tackle than anyone mentioned above. Wins more aerial duels than Almiron and ASM put together.

On the ball, Buendia and Coutinho are operating as inside playmakers, not wingers. They don't need to be especially quick running with the ball. They are agile and tricky enough to beat a defender.

We've seen this slow then quick thing execute numerous times pretty effectively, generally through Mings who I would not call pedestrian at all. He's not always as neat as some others, but he can play at a tempo and will attempt more risky balls that are sometimes needed than Konsa. I agree Konsa is the weaker of the two, but only in that he seems less willing to up tempo and take risks on the ball. He's pretty safe with the ball, just maybe too safe sometimes.

Carlos sure is somewhat unknown following injury, but if he comes back ok (and we've got plenty of time before the summer to assess this) he'll be IMO a good fit next to Mings. Sure, he was played more on the left side at Sevilla, but that seemed more down to his partner than anything. He's had seasons in his career where he's been the right sided centre back. He's predominantly right footed. And one thing seems especially good at is switching play with long balls. Going by our play to date under Emery, it seems more useful for these to be going right to left than the other way.

Assuming Carlos is back to his previous levels, a centre back replacement again is low priority. Our presumably decent but nevertheless limited budget this summer is much better used elsewhere.

Agree Bailey isn't suited to the defensive requirements or the more high central position and bringing someone else into this position in the summer is high priority. From an attacking sense in our set up he would want to be wide in the 4, but that probably doesn't work left with overlapping fullbacks. Right side might work more, but like you say the defensive side isn't as strong.

Not sure I follow the long ball comment. I don't see us resorting to this particularly often. And stats suggest that since Emery arrived we are just below the PL average in terms of long balls and avg completed pass distance. We were the marignally the other side of that average under Gerrard.

Not sure Emery is tied to having inverted wide players both sides. He didn't operate at Villarreal like this, where he had more of a converted centre back on the right side of defence with a more out and out winger ahead, with a more similar set up to what we have now on the left side. We could see moves towards more of this asymmetrical set up this summer.

I regards to the respective defenses, Newcastles goals against is lower than ours, and Dan Burn is a major part, as that heading ability alone means better defending of crosses and set pieces. Also he has to be beaten to get by him, whereas someone like Cash or Moreno get bypassed in transition phases.

My point on McGinn is he isn't in the wide forward position like the Newcastle wingers. He is in an inside right midfield position (and Buendia is often in an inside left midfield position). Defensive stats will obviously be higher if you operate deeper and more centrally, as the ball spends more time in these areas, and there are more players helping to defend that space, so ones stats benefit by being in those areas as opposed to high and wide.  The fact is we are only playing with a winger in a wide forward position when Bailey plays. 

Buendia comes very deep, far deeper than any of Newcastles wide forwards bar Joelinton, and that's because Joelinton is more of a defensive winger, and often plays as the left centre mid. Hence Joelinton's stats being similar or better than McGinn and Buendia.

ASM is the one Newcastle winger that is poor in the press, but he is better in the attacking third then all our wingers. His ball carrying is on Jack's level. Plus he tends to only play home games, and is fairly injury prone.

Mings is decent at playing out, but he isn't on the level of a Laporte, Dias, Pau Torres. But I'm happy with Mings currently. The right CB is far more of a priority. For me i believe in have 3 top quality CB's, and Carlos being able to play both sides effectively is perfect. But until his last season or two at Sevilla his ball playing was considered a weakness, and he is still rather conservative in that regard, also the pace and aggressionof the prem, combined with how many teams high press will be a real test of his ball playing. Carlos has made his name as primarily being a quick and robust defender.

Both Carlos and Mings are turning 30 next season, so having a younger player on their level or higher for the RCB position makes so much sense to me. If I were to prioritise, I'd say, midfielder (in the right or left midfielder position),as we are a player light there, also I'm not convinced by Buendia in there. I feel McGinn is suited to us playing on the counter, I've always found he short passing rather inconsistent. JJ is still young and needs to develop, I believe Emery is trying to develop his defensive side first, which has mean his attacking output is suffering. I see Iroegbunam deserving of a chance to compete with Luiz. Kamara and Dendonker is good enough for the more defensive of the central midfielders. Right forward is on par in terms of importance to the wide central midfielder, but very hard to bring the required quality in.  Then right CB. If we can address these key areas you will see an improvement in style of play and ability to break down low blocks, which for me is a major weaknesses (the low block). At least two of the three is required at a minimum.

Bailey's suitability is dependant whether we are looking to control possession and get the ball in the opposition half enough. As well as form. He's a good player, and good to have in the squad. Like Buendia and Coutinho, who are also good players. I just think we need to find a true top tier wide right forward player, someone whom we can RELY ON to make things happen.

Back Up players in the left back, and right back position maybe necessary depending on what happens with Young and Digne, Moreno and Digne are both 30 next season so a young prospect is needed there if not the this summer then the next. Does Emery rate KKH or does he want a defensively sound inverted right back . A new second choice needs to be found in the goalkeeping position imo.

I’ve been watching out for Feyenoord’s results recently as I like their CM Kokcu but noticed Geertruida has been playing well.

22yr old who plays CB/RB but can also play at CDM. I think he’d be a good fit for the RB/CB hybrid Emery seems to want. 

Plus he has a weird but equally awesome beard and we need a beard in this team.

23 minutes ago, burchy said:

I’ve been watching out for Feyenoord’s results recently as I like their CM Kokcu but noticed Geertruida has been playing well.

22yr old who plays CB/RB but can also play at CDM. I think he’d be a good fit for the RB/CB hybrid Emery seems to want. 

Plus he has a weird but equally awesome beard and we need a beard in this team.

I wasn't interested until you mentioned the beard

• Haha 3