Dario Osorio

Delphinho123

38 minutes ago, Tayls said:

As exciting as this one would be based on his potential, you’d have to imagine that Milan will be the ones who sign him. I mean… it’s Milan.. 

Milan have been outbid by Bournemouth for Zaniolo and even Wilshere in the past

Milan have a great scouting department so if we are in the same market we are doing well

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Didn’t realise it was so poor now… they still make champs league though so must bring something in..

You could pick one of the “poorest” Premier league team and they would probably have a higher net spend than the entire Italian division.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is going to be one of those Duran type signings if it goes through. Very little noise then BANG.

’Aston Villa can today confirm they’ve reached an agreement...’

Bring it on. 

I know very little about either Osorio or Duran - so I find it slightly strange that I am quite so excited about them.  Is it because they have the allure of being South American?  Is it because they both seem to have received glowing local reviews?  Is it because we seem to be tapping a new player market for us and one that has produced more than its fair share of great players?  I don't know whether this is because of Emery (I suspect that the Spanish influence means that he's probably got better contacts in SA than the average English PL manager) or Edens (the US seem to have identified SA as a great source of players for their own league so maybe Wes has suggested that Villa get on board quickly).  But I think I like it.  Having a reputation as a club who sign young South Americans and give them a chance improves our chances of signing more in the future - plus by then concerns about the cultural challenge of living in the UK will be reduced as there will be a decent group of Spanish or Portuguese speakers at the club to help ease them into life here.

It does slightly feel that SA is still a market where we might be able to sign a player for under £20 million who might go on to be worth £80 million.  But at the same time it's a big step up and a big change in lifestyle so that brings with it a fair chunk of risk that players don't take their domestic form and develop to their full potential here.

It does slightly feel like if Brighton were doing it - there would be lots of people saying "why are we not doing this", whereas if West Ham were doing it - maybe we'd be a bit more sceptical and thinking that maybe they are overspending and that we're better off sticking to more "traditional" markets.

The fact that Milan are interested should give some reassurance though.  There's a really close link between Italy and South America - lots of Italians emigrated to South America for work in the first half of the 20th Century.  So there are lots of South Americans who have Italian grandparents.  This either means that Italian clubs have a network of contacts when it comes to identifying talent in the country, or, if they do identify a player it can be easier to sign them as they might qualify for Italian citizenship through having family heritage.

12 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

You could pick one of the “poorest” Premier league team and they would probably have a higher net spend than the entire Italian division.

Premier League clubs apparently spent 1.9 billion last summer and Serie A clubs 700 million

6 minutes ago, allani said:

The fact that Milan are interested should give some reassurance though.  There's a really close link between Italy and South America - lots of Italians emigrated to South America for work in the first half of the 20th Century.  So there are lots of South Americans who have Italian grandparents.  This either means that Italian clubs have a network of contacts when it comes to identifying talent in the country, or, if they do identify a player it can be easier to sign them as they might qualify for Italian citizenship through having family heritage.

I dont think with Brexit that his Italian heritage will make any difference as he will need a work permit either way

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Premier League clubs apparently spent 1.9 billion last summer and Serie A clubs 700 million

You only have to look at players leaving clubs competing in the champions league and europa to fight relegation with the likes of Leeds and Bournemouth in the premier league. They simply can’t compete financially.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think with Brexit that his Italian heritage will make any difference as he will need a work permit either way

I was talking about it being potentially easier for Italian clubs to sign players from South America.

Edited by allani

50 minutes ago, allani said:

I know very little about either Osorio or Duran - so I find it slightly strange that I am quite so excited about them.  Is it because they have the allure of being South American?  Is it because they both seem to have received glowing local reviews?  Is it because we seem to be tapping a new player market for us and one that has produced more than its fair share of great players?  I don't know whether this is because of Emery (I suspect that the Spanish influence means that he's probably got better contacts in SA than the average English PL manager) or Edens (the US seem to have identified SA as a great source of players for their own league so maybe Wes has suggested that Villa get on board quickly).  But I think I like it.  Having a reputation as a club who sign young South Americans and give them a chance improves our chances of signing more in the future - plus by then concerns about the cultural challenge of living in the UK will be reduced as there will be a decent group of Spanish or Portuguese speakers at the club to help ease them into life here.

It does slightly feel that SA is still a market where we might be able to sign a player for under £20 million who might go on to be worth £80 million.  But at the same time it's a big step up and a big change in lifestyle so that brings with it a fair chunk of risk that players don't take their domestic form and develop to their full potential here.

It does slightly feel like if Brighton were doing it - there would be lots of people saying "why are we not doing this", whereas if West Ham were doing it - maybe we'd be a bit more sceptical and thinking that maybe they are overspending and that we're better off sticking to more "traditional" markets.

Good post. Different dynamic at a club like Brighton though. Much less pressure and expectancy and players will get more opportunities.  I don’t think it’s just down to great scouting.  As an example I give you a player like Bissouma. Say Spurs bought him when Brighton did. He would hardly play and god knows where he would be playing now. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good post. Different dynamic at a club like Brighton though. Much less pressure and expectancy and players will get more opportunities.  I don’t think it’s just down to great scouting.  As an example I give you a player like Bissouma. Say Spurs bought him when Brighton did. He would hardly play and god knows where he would be playing now. 

I couldn't agree more.  Which is why I get a bit frustrated by the "We need to be more like Brighton and Brentford" narrative.  I think our fans would soon get very frustrated if we constantly had to sell our key players - Brighton look like they will have to replace at least 3 major players in the summer.  It makes it very difficult to build any momentum - and Brighton deserve plenty of praise for it seemingly not having impacted them last time to happened.  I think we'd also be incredibly nervous about signing an 18 year old from the French 3rd Division and sticking them into our first team for a full season.  I mean you only need to read the Duran thread to see how people think that he's not ready for the PL and that he'd need to be sent out on loan.

What I do like is that we seem to be ploughing our furrow in the middle of the two approaches.  We need to improve the starting XI / match day XVI and so will sign players who we think offer options (e.g. Alex Morena and hopefully Guendouzi) but also happy to buy highly rated youngsters (or bring through from our academy ranks) for the first team squad who might hit the ground running but who, if necessary can sit on the bench, maybe get some minutes coming on as a sub, etc whilst Emery and his team mould them into the players we want them to be.  All of which seems eminently sensible and more sustainable to me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I can see this as nothing more than a gentle prod to milan from his agent 

Better prods than Villa to use if that was the case.  Newcastle, Chelsea or Spurs would all be credible options that would be more likely to make Milan increase their bid rather than just moan about how unfair it is that a team in the bottom half of the PL can outbid them.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I love your obsession with this one, I have no idea who this kid is but you have made me want to sign him.

Hes one of the best youngsters ive seen of late, if this happens i will be a very happy man

Better prods than Villa to use if that was the case.  Newcastle, Chelsea or Spurs would all be credible options that would be more likely to make Milan increase their bid rather than just moan about how unfair it is that a team in the bottom half of the PL can outbid them.

It's probably the first one on auto spell

Edited by Nigel
  • Haha 1

Â