Jhon Durán

PieFacE

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm torn between trying to force some confidence into Ollie and resting him for Chelsea.

No way Duran can start at Chelsea currently IMO. He's too erratic and excitable still. Ollie a large part of our defensive set-pieces currently as well.

Play Ollie away in Poland. We need to get off to a good start in the competition. Duran can come on at 60mins and start the home games in the competition

That goal was so difficult to execute, for any CF.

The big thing is, its not the first time, that was reminiscent of the Man City effort that rattled the bar.

This boy smacks of Evan Ferguson.....He just has to keep working and adding things to his game....but what he does well now, he does really,really well.

He has pleased me no end thus far from what I've seen of him.

He has scored a few goals so far and have all been a bit different too, which is a promising sign.

Boy does he know how to finish and find the net! I think Unai has unearthed a real gem here.

Onwards and upwards for the lad.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37637383/jhon-duran-journey-colombia-mls-aston-villa

"We would constantly sit in a room and watch videos of different strikers, their movements, their characteristics...including Juan Pablo Ángel, when he was at River Plate and Aston Villa," said Wilberth Perea, one of the most important people in this story.

"I would say, 'how would you solve this problem, Jhon?,' and he would reply, 'ah, boss. I would solve it like this, I think.' Then we would go on the pitch and apply this process in such an impressive way. He would take it in very quickly and it's why this facilitated his development. After every training session, in fact, we would stay longer for 45 minutes. Just to work."

Everything was dissected. Everything. From his stance and speed to how he would hold a ball or face an opponent, nothing was ignored. Perea reminds us that Durán didn't even start as a striker, he was a winger first but the coach persuaded the directors that all his attributes were best suited for a center forward role.

"He is an extremely talented player, ever since he was a kid," said Santiago Aristizabal, an expert and veteran Colombian reporter, who specifically focuses on academy players across the country. "Perea and his staff knew he was talented, but they worked hard on his technical ability and overall football abilities. At 15, the aim was to play professionally in the older setups, even just a few minutes, because they knew of his potential. He didn't just have potential, he had proper support from a very early age.

"I just have to keep learning. From the staff, from my teammates, and soak in all the good things from each one. My goals will come soon. I'll keep working hard for it and I'll celebrate the same way I always do," said Durán, with a big smile on his face.

The future is bright for Jhon Jáder Durán, but it's also unpredictable and when it comes to what happens next, the only person who can determine that is Durán himself. Whatever happens, the most important factor to remember in this young man's story is that his success and work ethic is a product of a nurturing support system -- notably at Envigado -- that allowed him to flourish at such a young age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So for all the crap we sometimes give our scouting department.

We may actually have caught a gem early, before he got too " known " and/or developed too much.

He wasn't even in Chicago that long was he?

Also hence the relatively hefty fee.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So for all the crap we sometimes give our scouting department.

We may actually have caught a gem early, before he got too " known " and/or developed too much.

He wasn't even in Chicago that long was he?

Also hence the relatively hefty fee.

Credit to Lange… but approved by Unai.

"There were many clubs interested, those from England and Europe that were mentioned in the media," said Pelzer, who started seeing the growth in interest, but in the end Villa were the most aggressive and came with a firm offer. "In the end, if you look at the journey...if you look at the games that Jhon played for us, it wasn't long.

"He was in Chicago for a year but played within a couple of months and a couple of games, and in those games he stood out...and we had interest. [Villa sporting director] Johan Lange showed real interest and from that perspective, they got a fantastic player."

Durán's arrival at Villa and the Premier League is a combination of what happens when education meets dedication and smart, diverse, open-minded scouting mixed with the intangible act of faith in a person, not the system, come together to form a story of high reward.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

That goal was so difficult to execute, for any CF.

The big thing is, its not the first time, that was reminiscent of the Man City effort that rattled the bar.

This boy smacks of Evan Ferguson.....He just has to keep working and adding things to his game....but what he does well now, he does really,really well.

The goal was just sublime, and it reminded me a wee bit of Darren Bent during that moment of execution. It was an exceptional finish.

People on here had recently mentioned about potentially looking at Evan Ferguson after his hatrick weekend, but the potential money that would cost to buy him etc.

I think we have unearthed our own 'Evan Ferguson' if you will. He currently sits at a goal ratio of 4 in 5 in the league at the moment, over 211 minutes of football with a current market value of approx €30m.

Duran is currently at 2 goals in 4 games in the league over 56 minutes of football (3 in 6 over all competitions in a total of 139 minutes of football) and a current market value of €12m

I think over the course of the season in the league, Durán's stats and value will eventually overtake that of Ferguson by a country mile.

Who needs Evan Ferguson when you've got Jhon Durán! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just listening to AllyMcCoist on talksport and he genuinely said it was one of the best goals he had seen in years as the ball was on the rise allied to the power he put into it . 

I think they call it a " Snap shot"

That was "Snap, Crackle & Pop"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just listening to AllyMcCoist on talksport and he genuinely said it was one of the best goals he had seen in years as the ball was on the rise allied to the power he put into it . 

Definitely overstated 

But definitely a great goal all the same 

Excited for more Jhon 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He looks fearless and at 19 that can only be a good thing

Courage is a big thing in football.....The courage to try things, and not hide.

The boy has that in bucket loads.

I think he will be a big Villa Park favourite.....baring any unforeseen issues.

• Like 2

Â