Jhon Durán

PieFacE

30 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Do people forget the goal he scored? You know which came from closing down the defenders. 

He can press when he wants to, but against an increasing number of teams building from the back with the combination of our deployment of a high line - Duran needs to not only press but then recover and hustle back to reposition and block the next pass.

Part of the reason our back 3 was able to pick out passes was because of the lack of recovery press from Burnley's forwards. They were too easily baited into pressing and then once Villa were able to beat the first phase, it was easy street past their midfield.

He's only been on when we've had big leads, but Duran needs to add this recovery press to his game otherwise he's not going to be trusted by Unai.

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

He can press when he wants to, but against an increasing number of teams building from the back with the combination of our deployment of a high line - Duran needs to not only press but then recover and hustle back to reposition and block the next pass.

Part of the reason our back 3 was able to pick out passes was because of the lack of recovery press from Burnley's forwards. They were too easily baited into pressing and then once Villa were able to beat the first phase, it was easy street past their midfield.

He's only been on when we've had big leads, but Duran needs to add this recovery press to his game otherwise he's not going to be trusted by Unai.

I think that Unai sees something in him and -already trusts him given he’s not gone out on loan and given him frequent cameos. He’s (still) only 19 but already a unit, and is always tenacious if a little too excited when he comes on. I’m sure Unai’s team have a plan to develop him and are working on these aspects of his game. I think he will become an exciting player for us.

He only signed 8 months ago and I don't know why people think he isn't good enough to be a back up striker in the PL. I hope he continues to settle and feels at home here. That's how we'll see the best of him. I think he'll play a few European games and I think he'll score a few goals too.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Some Villa fans: Why can't we sign players like Brighton do like Mitoma and Ferguson!!!!

Mitoma went on loan to Germany for season and Ferguson getting limited minutes

Also some Villa fans: Duran is not good!!! Sign another striker!!!!

Fickle

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 21:40, eholm said:

I really hope I’m proved wrong but still think we need to replace him in the squad for this season as he is no where near the level we require for a top 6 finish. The drop off in quality from Ollie to Jhon is on a par with Emi to Robin. 

Utd finished top 4 last season with weghorst up front...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

He only signed 8 months ago and I don't know why people think he isn't good enough to be a back up striker in the PL. I hope he continues to settle and feels at home here. That's how we'll see the best of him. I think he'll play a few European games and I think he'll score a few goals too.

For me its the fact that he is the ONLY back up striker. This coupled with my paranoia that Ollie is gonna get an injury lasting a few months at some point this season! Having watched JD's albeit fleeting minutes, I think his first touch is lacking and his control needs imporving.....both of which you would expect for a young player and that will no doubt improve as he develops. I know we have players who could play the OW role but not necessarily for a prolonged period of time and that is my concern.

I have no doubt that JD has huge potential and I could be completely wrong - it would be fantastic if he could come in when needed and score 5+ goals in the PL if required. However, that is a big ask for a kid who is still probably acclimatising to the country let alone the PL. I realise that its all if/buts/maybes regarding how often he will actually be needed, however, a squad needs to cover for these eventualities and I would kave liked to see an older/experienced ST come in on loan just to provide that bit more cover up top considering the amount of gameswe have this season. 

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Utd finished top 4 last season with weghorst up front...

Rashford has crazy amount of career goals and assists at Manure and he's a left winger playing as striker... just like Watkins. Manure fans mad with him and team form saying they need a striker and he shouldn't be playing there. The problem is no creation of chances from behind whereas we're not having that problem lately and not even relying on Watkins for goals. Just highlights point I've been making for weeks about Watkins striker need another striker for back up is bollocks. The Emery system is key. Players are just pieces regardless position labels

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rashford has crazy amount of career goals and assists at Manure and he's a left winger playing as striker... just like Watkins. Manure fans mad with him and team form saying they need a striker and he shouldn't be playing there. The problem is no creation of chances from behind whereas we're not having that problem lately and not even relying on Watkins for goals. Just highlights point I've been making for weeks about Watkins striker need another striker for back up is bollocks. The Emery system is key. Players are just pieces regardless position labels

Its more the profile of a player than a posiitonal label. IF Watkins is out for a period of time we could do with a similar type profile at the top of the pitch i.e physical and has the ability to hold the ball up. I get the point re the system but if we are playing the better teams (without OW) and so will invariably have less of the ball, we may struggle to retain possession withut that type of forward. At the moment, I dont see JD being good enough to deputise in this scenario. 

On 28/08/2023 at 21:06, DJBOB said:

He's basically in the nursery stage of the Don Unai school of football though, give him time.

I think its great he's learning from Emery at that age as he should still be quite malleable. 

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some Villa fans: Why can't we sign players like Brighton do like Mitoma and Ferguson!!!!

Mitoma went on loan to Germany for season and Ferguson getting limited minutes

Also some Villa fans: Duran is not good!!! Sign another striker!!!!

Brighton are great at giving their young prospects time to develop at other clubs. That doesn’t have to mean their team is left short while those youngsters are away.

At the moment Brighton have 3 senior strikers in Ferguson, Joao Pedro and Welbeck, so you’d have to say their depth in that departement is better than ours.

Â