Jhon Durán

PieFacE

11 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I agree. And my whole point is not that we should not have signed him at all, just that we need a striker immediately and it doesn't appear that this guy is that player. Unfortunately, it's proven hard for some to understand that point and so my point has been totally lost. We really need a striker right now.

Why do we need one immediately we have Watkins and Ings. We cant carry a 3rd

Signing a striker in January is difficult. United only found Weghorst available

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Then you have totally missed my point! I said I would be concerned if this is will be our only striker signing in January if this is one for the future as we need a striker right now. It's not difficult.

We don't.

Since Emery came in only 4 teams have scored more goals than us in the league, so we seem to be doing okay in that department.

We are more in need of wide players who can create more chances for our strikers and chip in with goals. 

I don't think we'll see another striker until 1 of Ings or Watkins moves on, which won't be this season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What leads you to think he will be our only striker signing in january?

Do you think we will sign 2 strikers in January. I can't imagine we would do that. 

@Zatman my concern is that Watkins, who has about 3 league goals this season, is out injured and Ings is not seemingly trusted to lead the line, hence his limited game time under various managers.

12 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Do you think we will sign 2 strikers in January. I can't imagine we would do that. 

@Zatman my concern is that Watkins, who has about 3 league goals this season, is out injured and Ings is not seemingly trusted to lead the line, hence his limited game time under various managers.

Ings limits game time is because of Watkins workrate which managers like more. But the issue is when they play Watkins when we’re expected to attack and need unlock defences. 
Anyway for me Duran is enough as a striker for this season. The last thing we need is getting another average old player which we can’t sell. 
I think Duran is physically ready which is the main issue with youngsters. 

Marca

In this article the Colombian U20 technical director says that is highly unlikely that Duran will return for the tournament's playoff stage. Apparently Emery wants him to start training ASAP. He also says they were aware of the possibility of the transfer happening soon but were told by the player's agent he could return but in the end the club decided otherwise and that they understand and respect the club's position.

• Thanks 1

I was just thinking about current Villa strikers and a thought occurred to me, Cameron Archer was 21 on December 9th so he would have needed to be registered as one of our 25 senior players, whereas prior to his birthday that would not have been required. He's now been loaned out so this is no longer an issue. Jhon Duran is just 19 so will not need to take up a senior squad place for a couple of seasons.

I'm sure we have looked long and hard at players currently in our registered squad of 25 who hardly ever feature for us, with the intention of moving some out to free up space for incoming signings. 

It's exciting to follow rumours and speculation about possible incoming players, but the real hard graft for those in charge of player recruitment is selling or loaning unwanted players who are earning very good wages.

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

So some of the best known Duran Duran songs: 

The Reflex, Rio, Wild Boys, Hungry Like A Wolf, Girls on Film, Ordinary World, A View to a Kill...

Been trying to think of something amongst that lot which would make a good song?!  Not easy is it 😂

He looks like Rio but he's really Jhon Duran. 

We can't believe we got the guy on only 30 grand. 

And when he shines he really shows you all he can. 

Fake Rio, Rio please score in front of the Holte stand. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

A 1 in 4 striker in the MLS. Hmm. I won't be getting excited let's put it that way. It's Jordan Bowery, Simon Dawkins, Jean Makoun levels of meh...

Really needed a proven, quality striker. 

This isn't it.

19. years. old.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chicago Villan 1974 said:

Well then your ignorance is truly unabashed. Congrats👏🏼 you win the numptie prize.🏆you may collect it after sending in three proof of purchase from your cereal boxes and 5 pound for shipping. 

Cool

Edited by YLN

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I agree. And my whole point is not that we should not have signed him at all, just that we need a striker immediately and it doesn't appear that this guy is that player. Unfortunately, it's proven hard for some to understand that point and so my point has been totally lost. We really need a striker right now.

Why do we need one immediately?

We're not going down, we aren't getting Europe. 

I'd much rather Emery sign the right players when he can. If that's in the summer then fine. 

This isn't like when we signed Samatta and actually did desperately need someone. 

We have 2 players who would start for a lot of other Premier league teams. They need improving on but it's not essential to do so this window.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I was just thinking about current Villa strikers and a thought occurred to me, Cameron Archer was 21 on December 9th so he would have needed to be registered as one of our 25 senior players, whereas prior to his birthday that would not have been required. He's now been loaned out so this is no longer an issue. Jhon Duran is just 19 so will not need to take up a senior squad place for a couple of seasons.

I'm sure we have looked long and hard at players currently in our registered squad of 25 who hardly ever feature for us, with the intention of moving some out to free up space for incoming signings. 

It's exciting to follow rumours and speculation about possible incoming players, but the real hard graft for those in charge of player recruitment is selling or loaning unwanted players who are earning very good wages.

If Archer only turned 21 in December he will still be classed as an U21 player as it’s based on their age at the start of the season I believe (or the January before), I don’t think the U21 status changes during the season.

I think Archer is probably the biggest loser in the signing of Duran, same position but 2 years younger and a big transfer fee, whilst he’s been shipped off to the championship having made no appearances under Emery - it doesn’t look great for him unless he really proves himself in the championship in the coming months.

Edited by david-avfc

11 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ah ok. I wasn't aware of that.

Ha, fair enough.

Goals per app is certainly irrelevant unless a player is playing full 90 every game. Goals per minute should always be used.

He has 1 goal every 170 minutes in the MLS.

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Why would we sign any strikers unless one of Ings or Watkins is going out the door? You didn't respond the last time I raised this point.

If neither of them leave, we won't be able to buy another one. 

Watkins is injured, not being sold. Cant buy someone just to cover his time injured.  And His injury means we probably can't sell him. 

Ings is highly paid and cost us a lot. His form since means we won't be getting much back from selling him.  If we sell him significnatly below his book value then we actually hurt ourselves more financially from an FFP perspective in this window than we would keeping him. 

We cannot afford the wages of 3 PL level first team strikers, when we only play one. Not to mention, if you are hoping for someone better than them two they're going to be on an even bigger salary.

I think your expectations for a new first team striker are going unfulfilled. And its not because we're screwed financially already.  But we probably would be if we bought one.

Edit: also, this mythical, better than we have striker that will come to us and can be bought for less than 60m almost certainly doesn't exist.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Â