Formula One - 2023

BOF

6 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

**** sake, Australia, god damn Aussies should work to our time, I completely forgot about it this morning.

at least it was only the quallies that I missed, I'll get up for the race (hopefully)

Yep I had a lovely night's sleep and then you wake up to completed sessions. It must mean Australia! (or Japan)

• Like 1

I only switched on at lap 40, saw Max was 9 seconds in front and every single person was on the hard compound and decided to go and tidy the kitchen instead.

F1 is struggling at the minute, the middle of the pack isn't providing much entertainment and the front end just isn't worth talking about.

23 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

**** sake, Australia, god damn Aussies should work to our time, I completely forgot about it this morning.

at least it was only the quallies that I missed, I'll get up for the race (hopefully)

Soft.

Every Villa game is on at 2 or 3am in the morning here. Jog on.

😉

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Soft.

Every Villa game is on at 2 or 3am in the morning here. Jog on.

😉

you are right, I used to regularly go 24 hours without any kip at all every weekend because I would stay up and watch whatever boxing was on in America, these days I struggle to get out of bed before 7am.

I actually did get up at 5:45am I made it into the living room before turning around and heading back to bed for another hour, I'm getting old 🤣

• Haha 1

Am I the only one that thought the red flags weren’t required.

The Albon  crash could have been dealt with under a safety car. The Kmag crash was just the tyre car as which again could have been dealt with under a safety car which would have meant the pile up from the restart wouldn’t have happened.

22 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Am I the only one that thought the red flags weren’t required.

The Albon  crash could have been dealt with under a safety car. The Kmag crash was just the tyre car as which again could have been dealt with under a safety car which would have meant the pile up from the restart wouldn’t have happened.

They’re very quick to throw the red flags out these days, it almost dilutes them. 
I get they want to be extra safe but it really ruins the race sometimes

It looks like one of someone else's titles should have an asterisk ;)

Massa to look into legal options over 2008 F1 title outcome

The Brazilian has been prompted into action by recent comments from former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who offered fresh insight into the critical 2008 Singapore Grand Prix that proved hugely costly to Massa’s title ambitions that year. 

That Singapore race is most famously known for the deliberate crash triggered by Nelson Piquet Jr., which brought out a safety car that ultimately helped his then Renault team-mate Fernando Alonso win the race. 

The controversy also had a huge influence on the title battle, as the safety car triggered a botched pitstop from Massa’s Ferrari crew that dropped the then leader well down the order and he finished 13th, while main title rival Hamilton grabbed third. 

The points swing on that day arguably decided the world championship outcome as Hamilton ended the campaign just one point ahead of Massa in the standings after the Brazilian GP. 

In an interview with the F1-Insider website last month, Ecclestone said he and then FIA president Max Mosley knew of the situation “during the 2008 season.”

He added: “We decided not to do anything for now. We wanted to protect the sport and save it from a huge scandal. That's why I used angelic tongues to persuade my former driver Nelson Piquet to keep calm for the time being. 

“Back then, there was a rule that a world championship classification after the FIA awards ceremony at the end of the year was untouchable. So Hamilton was presented with the trophy and everything was fine. 

“We had enough information in time to investigate the matter. According to the statutes, we should have cancelled the race in Singapore under these conditions.  

“That means it would never have happened for the championship standings. And then Felipe Massa would have become world champion and not Lewis Hamilton.” 

Those remarks have drawn interest from Massa, who says he wants to evaluate whether or not there are grounds now to take the matter further in legal channels. 

More in the link ...

Meanwhile, tweak to the sprint may happen. Nothing significant for those of us who don't watch/like the sprint though. Just they're potentially turning FP 2 into a sprint qualy so that it is completely its own event.

Article here

How the new format would work 

The basic plan centres around adding a second, separate qualifying session to make the sprint race itself a standalone event. 

Saturday morning’s second practice session would be replaced by a new qualifying session exclusively for the sprint. 

Qualifying to determine the grid for Sunday’s grand prix would take place on Friday afternoon, following a single hour of practice. 

The second qualifying session would replace FP2 on Saturday morning and be used to set the grid for the sprint later in the afternoon.

More in link ...

• 2 weeks later...

Christ, watching The Jim Clark Trophy with drivers racing 1960's Lotus Cortina's makes you realise how sterile F1 and modern motorsport really is. How much work the cars do for the drivers. 

These guys are slinging the cars around the circuit in a continuous barely controlled skid. It's madness. 

Some of the overtakes don't even need DRS.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And yes the sprint tweak is happening in Baku.

Times are BST

Qualifying for the race is now 14:00 on the Friday :rolleyes:
Qualifying for the sprint race is 09:30 Saturday
Sprint race is 14:30 Saturday
F1 GP is 12:00 Sunday

Sauce (F1.com)