Christmas Dinner

sidcow

7 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

You’ve got to be accounting for at least 10 per person

Is it really? You can easily elevate that by combining 50/50 with sausagemeat. Then paxo is good enough.

And garlic. 

There must be garlic. 

12 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I've always considered people who choose a turkey crown as totally decadent, and seeing that Mooney has one confirmed it.

I'm flattered - but confused. I was under the impression that the reverse was true - proper posh people would get the full (probably 'bronze') turkey, ordering months in advance, and queueing up for it at the local very expensive butcher's shop? And on Xmas day, the paterfamilias could make like Henry VIII with a drumstick. 

Whereas us lazy cheapskates would buy a frozen crown from Aldi and cop out of all the ritual, with just a plain unromantic lump of meat. It makes life a lot easier. 

Now, one year we did have goose instead of turkey (which was borderline decadent). I thought it was lovely, but Mrs M concluded it was way too expensive for what you got off it, and refused to repeat the experiment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Chip size or sliced like a carrot? I like them soft in parts and crispy edges.

Chip size if possible, not always easy with the shape of 'em. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm flattered - but confused. I was under the impression that the reverse was true - proper posh people would get the full (probably 'bronze') turkey, ordering months in advance, and queueing up for it at the local very expensive butcher's shop? And on Xmas day, the paterfamilias could make like Henry VIII with a drumstick. 

Whereas us lazy cheapskates would buy a frozen crown from Aldi and cop out of all the ritual, with just a plain unromantic lump of meat. It makes life a lot easier. 

Now, one year we did have goose instead of turkey (which was borderline decadent). I thought it was lovely, but Mrs M concluded it was way too expensive for what you got off it, and refused to repeat the experiment. 

There was always a thing in our house where someone would have a dry, sinewy, turkey leg, foisted upon them, which they were expected to eat with relish.

For some reason, that privilege was always assigned to a male amongst the gathering: usually the patriarch but often the eldest son.

Some households went as far as to stipulate that the men at table should be assigned the dark meat and the white meat exclusivele reserved for the ladies.

So any household which arranges things so everyone dines on white meat alone, must, in my mind, be listed amongst the sybarites.

The goose rather confirms my prejudices, I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There was always a thing in our house where someone would have a dry, sinewy, turkey leg, foisted upon them, which they were expected to eat with relish.

For some reason, that privilege was always assigned to a male amongst the gathering: usually the patriarch but often the eldest son.

Some households went as far as to stipulate that the men at table should be assigned the dark meat and the white meat exclusivele reserved for the ladies.

So any household which arranges things so everyone dines on white meat alone, must, in my mind, be listed amongst the sybarites.

The goose rather confirms my prejudices, I'm afraid.

It's a fair cop. 

• Like 1

I had duck last year and goose the year before I think just to try and be a bit different, even a turkey crown was too big and a waste of time and I personally hate turkey, its not a good roast, why do we put up with the biggest meal of the year having the worst meat?

The duck leftovers were then turned in to crispy duck with hoisin sauce and pancakes which was better than the Xmas Dinner

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I had duck last year and goose the year before I think just to try and be a bit different, even a turkey crown was too big and a waste of time and I personally hate turkey, its not a good roast, why do we put up with the biggest meal of the year having the worst meat?

The duck leftovers were then turned in to crispy duck with hoisin sauce and pancakes which was better than the Xmas Dinner

I find theturkey crown much preferable.

Cooked in foil nice and slow, and upside down for the most part, taking the foil off forthe last 30-40 minutes.

Stays nice and moist (ooooer, KW.gif).

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Always been turkey crown for us

feel-like-a-sir-feel-like-a-lord.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Posh people would most likely be having something more extravagant and exciting than turkey. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Duck leftovers??? I like duck, but even with the biggest ones, there's barely enough to feed two people in one meal! 

• Like 1

Â