Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

56 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Elon has now stopped links and embeds to Substack. Apparently replies and retweets to any tweet mentioning Substack are disabled.

The guy is completely out of control.

It's certainly the bastion of free speech he proclaimed. 

Oh. This will probably do it

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/5/23670452/substack-notes-tweets-posts-twitter

Substack is getting a new tweet-like feature called “Notes,” the company announced on Wednesday. The feature will let users publish small posts about things like “posts, quotes, comments, images, and links,” according to a blog post from Substack co-founders Chris Best, Hamish McKenzie, and Jairaj Sethi.

And their Twitter access ahs gone away 2 days later. That'd be a hell of a coincidence :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Oh. This will probably do it

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/5/23670452/substack-notes-tweets-posts-twitter

And their Twitter access ahs gone away 2 days later. That'd be a hell of a coincidence :) 

Yeah, it's definitely that. He's decided presumably that they are the competition and will not allow them to be linked to.

I mean, if the whole internet took that view... There would be no internet.

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, it's definitely that. He's decided presumably that they are the competition and will not allow them to be linked to.

I mean, if the whole internet took that view... There would be no internet.

The only thing giving me a shadow of a doubt is I don't think he'd have had the restraint to not publicly boast about it like the whopping great bellend he is.

• Haha 1

1. Elon Musk, boss of Twitter and CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, has given a surprise interview to the BBC
  2. Musk agreed unexpectedly to the last-minute conversation with our correspondent James Clayton at Twitter HQ
  3. The billionaire admits he only bought Twitter because he had to, and describes running the firm as "quite painful" and "a rollercoaster"
  4. He also spoke about the mass lay-offs at the firm, saying it was down to 1,500 staff members from an initial 8,000
  5. The BBC objected this week to a new tag describing it as "government funded media" on its main Twitter account - and Musk agrees the tag will be updated
  6. He also says he sometimes sleeps at the office, and addresses his controversial tweets saying: "I think I should not tweet after 3am".
  7. And he contests the idea that hate speech was now more common on the platform

I guess he couldn’t resist a bargain

bbc

8 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

From those bullet points he seems like a reasonable and open person to me.

I guess you could say that. It's just everything else about him that makes him look like a nobhead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

From those bullet points he seems like a reasonable and open person to me. Granted he's a bit of an eccentric, but we're supposed to love those here. 

He's a child

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's a child

The absolute worst type of boss. Obviously he’s not this journalist’s boss but you can see why Twitter has gone to the dogs. His mind is closed to the fact he’s made Twitter worse, anyone who dares suggest it probably gets sacked.

55 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

From those bullet points he seems like a reasonable and open person to me. Granted he's a bit of an eccentric, but we're supposed to love those here. 

Is this where we're at when making judgements?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Is this where we're at when making judgements?

When replying to that message with the bullet points then yes. Unless you want me to go live him for three months to make sure I can make a sound judgement. 

11 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

When replying to that message with the bullet points then yes. Unless you want me to go live him for three months to make sure I can make a sound judgement. 

There's a big sliding scale in forming judgements on people between looking at seven bullet points of their own unchallenged words from a single article on the one hand and spending three months living with someone on the other. I reckon there's a fairly huge middle ground a million miles from both those options that is pretty doable.  

I'd argue (I think successfully) that seven bullet points from an article is about as flimsy a set of evidence as there could possibly be!

Although those specific bullet points do indeed sound reasonable, I bet if you quoted some of the worst people in history directly you could muster seven decent bullet points. Steven Gerrard (I'm joking) for one—well, when he started at least.

In the end he only had one—something or other about moments of magic.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's a child

He is but from the clips of the interview I've seen so far, the BBC have sent a very inexperienced journo to do this interview. 

Â