Danny Murphy, Esq

est1874

I remember when he first retired he was actually alright.  It was when the Beeb started phasing out Lawro, Murphy decided he wanted to follow in his footsteps, I don't know whether it was under orders from the Beeb or he just did it himself but he sounds utterly miserable about the game all the time.  Thankfully I very rarely come across him on TV or radio, probably because I only really watch Sky.  Just have to put up with Souness instead all the time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i have a long held conviction that pundits are paid good money to talk about football but in reality they dont watch football, in the last week i could give examples of tim howard seemingly only watching highlights of us* and jermain defoe and graham souness only looking at our stats and results instead they're almost trained as well as politicians in media presentation skills to give a non-descript answer that doesnt really answer anything but gives the wider audience who deep down dont really actually care enough to be willing to move on (maybe not so much training for defoe you know)

Danny Murphy is the worst at this, he does not watch football, I'm not even convinced he enjoys football, saturday man city are on TV vs leicester is it really too much to expect the commentators for that coverage to have watched the game last night? i think murphy is part of the crowd that doesnt, he only watches football when he is paid to do so, he definitely does not watch aston villa in his spare time, this has been apparent to me since he was co-commentator for the BBC for an FA cup vs spurs on a sunday afternoon years ago, maybe to be expected seeing as he played for spurs but the disparity in his knowledge between the 2 clubs was stark, his lack of knowledge on villa was to the point of under preparation and a lack of professionalism it was that bad and he's not got better with time or experience, i honestly dont see why the BBC employ him there's no redeeming feature to him, talksport i do because that's their crowd, he is part of a problem within english football

* robbie earle was very good in the same video, spoke a lot of sense in detail and was well spoken, shot to the top of my list of pundits, he knew his shit

I watched the same clip with Earle and Howard as well, and this is a good summary of it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, est1874 said:

Since he comes up on here a lot and appears to be obsessed with Villa, I thought it was time this radish had his own thread. 

There are several ex-professionals working in media now who don't seem to like us but this can usually be traced back to something or other, i.e. Robbie Savage for obvious reasons, Souness also as we dared challenge Liverpool supremacy when he was captain there. So wtf is Murphy's problem? Apart from being a wrong'un that is.

It was this years back. Said he never liked playing at VP as it was always half empty or something compared to likes of Leeds:

Danny Murphy branded Villa Park 'dull' - Aston Villa's Steve Bruce had this to say - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Murphy reckoned Villa Park was never full when he played there, but admits it has been understandable in recent years because of the club's demise.

"They've got good support, but I never played at a full Villa Park," said Murphy. "It was very rarely ever full when I played there when they were in the Premier League.

"This so-called big club. Big clubs are where the stadium is full every week and there are season ticket waiting lists like Tottenham and Liverpool.

"At Villa the history is good. They won a European Cup and won a few titles back in the day, but they've not been a big club for a long time.

I actually like him as a pundit on MOTD as his in game analysis is generally good but his overall knowledge like today with Emery is generally soundbites and bias. 

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It was this years back. Said he never liked playing at VP as it was always half empty or something compared to likes of Leeds:

Danny Murphy branded Villa Park 'dull' - Aston Villa's Steve Bruce had this to say - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

I actually like him as a pundit on MOTD as his in game analysis is generally good but his overall knowledge like today with Emery is generally soundbites and bias. 

I would have stayed clear if he was playing at VP too

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Adman said:

I would have stayed clear if he was playing at VP too

For some reason I have it in my head we nearly signed him maybe under MON so maybe why he is so bitter

Missed a huge retirement contract so now has to labour by watching football

Edited by Zatman

Gabby joined TalkSport and immediately started winding up Leeds / Liverpool fans.

Danny Murphy does the same with us.

TalkSport make money from phone calls, text messages and generate interest through social media. If Murphy said, "oh that's a decent appointment" then it doesn't get shared on socials etc. 

29 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Gabby joined TalkSport and immediately started winding up Leeds / Liverpool fans.

Danny Murphy does the same with us.

TalkSport make money from phone calls, text messages and generate interest through social media. If Murphy said, "oh that's a decent appointment" then it doesn't get shared on socials etc. 

So what you're saying is that these two are paid to be professional trolls.

Not a scrap of dignity about either of them.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

So what you're saying is that these two are paid to be professional trolls.

Not a scrap of dignity about either of them.

That applies to basically everyone on TalkSport, not just those 2. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ah, so he doesn't like VP because of a weird lie he's told himself. He has played in front of a packed out VP plenty of times, just not when he was at Charlton or Fulham because no-one wants to watch **** Charlton or Fulham.

You'd think he'd remember getting 2 goals and an assist in front of a packed out VP for instance when thinking about times he played there...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Ah, so he doesn't like VP because of a weird lie he's told himself. He has played in front of a packed out VP plenty of times, just not when he was at Charlton or Fulham because no-one wants to watch **** Charlton or Fulham.

You'd think he'd remember getting 2 goals and an assist in front of a packed out VP for instance when thinking about times he played there...

What a ridiculous night that was. Pretty sure it didn't kick off until 9.15pm due to a ticket collection mess up.

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What a ridiculous night that was. Pretty sure it didn't kick off until 9.15pm due to a ticket collection mess up.

and it was brutally cold. 

IIRC the issue with the tickets was because the 2 cup rounds were only days apart and they didn’t have time to post them out so had to be collected before the game.

Edited by Genie

Â