Unai Emery

PeterSw

44 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I have difficulty to imaging that next season we would only have 9 points after 11 matches, with Emery as manager.

We do not sack managers every year, Gerrard was sacked after a year, but Smith had 3 years and Bruce had 2 years. Fair enough, before that we were a little bit like Watford.

I think it’s more likely that Emery will be here 4 years time, than we have sacked him.

We have had 14 managers since 2000, it sounds a lot but it's probably mid table in Premier League terms. Also the 3 managers in a year between Lambert and Bruce damages that number

Chelsea probably the most successful Premier League team since 2000 had 17 in that time

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatting to an entitled Arsenal fan (who doesnt go to games) yesterday who told me that Emery was a rubbish manager...  I said if he replicates what he did for arsenal, that is finishing 5th and 8th in the prem league over 2 seasons and a Euro cup final at the Villa, he will be one of our most successful managers in nearly 30 years!

Arsenal fans = some of worse plastic entitled fans. There is a special song for that lot ....."sing when your winning, you only sing when your winning"

5 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Chatting to an entitled Arsenal fan (who doesnt go to games) yesterday who told me that Emery was a rubbish manager...  I said if he replicates what he did for arsenal, that is finishing 5th and 8th in the prem league over 2 seasons and a Euro cup final at the Villa, he will be one of our most successful managers in nearly 30 years!

Arsenal fans = some of worse plastic entitled fans. There is a special song for that lot ....."sing when your winning, you only sing when your winning"

It’s all relative. This is a club that had a record for qualifying to champs league at one point.  He didn’t do well at Arsenal but in my option his apparent remit to play attacking football wasn’t his philosophy and the club was also a mess left by Wenger. I also wonder how much influence he had in signings too.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There will come a time when some fans are not happy with Emery. It’s inevitable. I just hope they aren’t happy because he keeps finishing 5th instead of 4th.

It'll be quick too. He's going to go about setting the foundations this season which will inevitably result in some losses where the team learn. 

I hope he gives Archer plenty of game time to see how good he can be with next season in mind.

I think a clear out of midfielders is inevitable especially if he plays 4 4 2 often. There are no 8s in that formation just 6s.

I'll be interested to see if Ramsey is played on left or right of the 4 in midfield from where he can receive the ball and drive forward. 

I'm interested in who he plays in full back. Digne and Cash? or Young and Chambers? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

It's gonna be very hard for Emery to break into those European places.

You already have the big 6. Then you have Newcastle who will keep blowing everyone out of the water in the coming transfer windows.

That leaves 8th, 9th and 10th for the rest to fight for.

If Emery manage to finish 9th or 8th and win a cup. Reality is that is as good as we can realistically hope for.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

You already have the big 6. Then you have Newcastle who will keep blowing everyone out of the water in the coming transfer windows.

If Emery manage to finish 9th or 8th and win a cup. Reality is that is as good as we can realistically hope for.

Well winning a cup gets you into Europe.

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s all relative. This is a club that had a record for qualifying to champs league at one point.  He didn’t do well at Arsenal but in my option his apparent remit to play attacking football wasn’t his philosophy and the club was also a mess left by Wenger. I also wonder how much influence he had in signings too.

Don't think he had much influence. He wanted zaha over pepe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Completely agree!

To build on Pinebros point, why are we even bothering?

let’s just end the premier league now and we can all find other teams/sports to follow 

24 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Completely agree!

To build on Pinebros point, why are we even bothering?

let’s just end the premier league now and we can all find other teams/sports to follow 

In all honesty, this is kinda' where it's at. Not everyone can be top 6, especially not consistently. However, we have the coming financial apocalypse that might bail us out as football will sort of have to revert back to a much more humble state as those fans that even have any kind of disposable income left will be loath to spend it luxuries such as football. Granted, this might be scuppered by super rich elites that might be able to hold on and push us out of the market completely, but I doubt they will want to spend billions on owning football clubs for prestige. 

To add to my earlier post regarding my chat to an arsenal work colleague, I mentioned that we have third (or 4th) richest owners, we now have a recognised elite coach that has won stuff, and we have the best ground and supporters (😉).

With that combination, if Villa cannot improve on where we are now and finish in the top half of the table then every club outside the so called top 6 might as well pack up and go home....

51 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Nah man, in 2 or 3 years the big six will f**k off to their own league. If we're 'best of the rest' we'll win the league. Yay! Plus I won't have to listen to Man City or Man you fans anymore. I'm starting to come around.

• Like 1

Â