Unai Emery

PeterSw

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

The one thing for sure, our owners are not just wealthy, but savvy too.

They know, when they have a jewel in the crown.....and they will be polishing it enough, to ensure it sparkles.

No good, having a Ferrari, with no fuel in it.....they will be well aware of that.

Totally agree, it's down to Chris Heck now, he has something right now we can market. Especially if we are getting out of our Castore deal I'm sure we can get a bigger one now. 

A lot of this is now down to Monchi and Emery though. We need to maximise our player sales and get good deals for renewals. If we manage to get CL this season we need to use the moment wisely. Levy did just that with Kane. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we do keep progressing under him and are every year in the battle for the top 5 and CL places. Only City are big enough to poach him as he needs a club with the right structures to succeed and only really City, Arsenal and City have that. He can just build his legend here if we can facilitate that for him and the players.

What player wouldn't want to be coached by Emery?

I think he will be sceptical of going in to another big club, with the experience he has had with ego's.

"Once bitten twice shy"

He has the platform, resources, authority and ambition from the owners, to build his own dynasty.....I think that is his holy grail.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its interesting the talk about ego's, and the danger of them. I think Unai had them at PSG and Arsenal, and I am sure he now avoids them like the plague.

Ron Saunders never had ego's in his dressing room, is history repeating itself.

Unai is the main man at Villa, and its best, it stays that way....No primma Donnas, just players willing to listen and learn, to succeed together.

He has developed all these players in to his way of thinking, its his philosophy, sure he is grateful for the quality of clay on the wheel( he has made that clear, such is his humility).....but its his hands that are shaping the pot.

our club, has been perfect for him, and I can see a dynasty emerging for the future.

I think that is down to recruitment though. Signing players is signing the person as much as the talent. Also when a coach is clearly as powerful as Emery is, by that I mean at board level any problems we have can only be the players not the coach as the coach is untouchable, the coach is right.

I remember Eddie Irvine explaining why the greatest thing Michael Schumacher did in his career was go to Ferrari and take them from the joke they had become and turn them into such a dominant team it made the sport almost boring. He did that by his ability to tell the engineers what was wrong with the car and the problem could never be Michael because he is that good nobody can say the car is right the driver is wrong. That singular genius was the core of what transformed the team.

Emery is our Schumacher. He is right and he is the singular genius the team needs to rise to his ambition and standards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenfly said:

The only part of what he said that I don't agree with is how top managers don't need a plan b. He's right about them making plan a better, but there should always be a plan b and Unai has proven the worth of that here.

Incidentally, I respect him for acknowledging his own failures as a manager. It gives him a unique perspective on how hard the job actually is, and how good the best ones really are.

Depends what you mean exactly by a plan B.

Emery have core principles of play that are unchangable like playing out from the back and try to control games.

He may tweak his system for certain games in terms of different personell or play 5 at the back instead of 4 but I would say our playstyle is pretty consistent.

You won't see him telling the players to just play long balls to Watkins.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he will be sceptical of going in to another big club, with the experience he has had with ego's.

"Once bitten twice shy"

He has the platform, resources, authority and ambition from the owners, to build his own dynasty.....I think that is his holy grail.

The fact we made latest partnership with Basque club he owns says it all. Owners have given him everything. He will be here for ages as long as we get the results. Thinking about it the other day I've been Villa fan since 94 and he's the first genuine elite manager in that time

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think that is down to recruitment though. Signing players is signing the person as much as the talent. Also when a coach is clearly as powerful as Emery is, by that I mean at board level any problems we have can only be the players not the coach as the coach is untouchable, the coach is right.

I remember Eddie Irvine explaining why the greatest thing Michael Schumacher did in his career was go to Ferrari and take them from the joke they had become and turn them into such a dominant team it made the sport almost boring. He did that by his ability to tell the engineers what was wrong with the car and the problem could never be Michael because he is that good nobody can say the car is right the driver is wrong. That singular genius was the core of what transformed the team.

Emery is our Schumacher. He is right and he is the singular genius the team needs to rise to his ambition and standards. 

good analogy.

I think in management Authority and responsibility, need to be measured in equal proportions, if there is a case for disproportion,  the whole thing it falters.

The amount of managers, who want maximum authority and minimum responsibility, is also damaging.

quite often football managers, have a higher responsibilty, than authority and that can be a recipe for disaster too.

I think Unai, will be well aware of that...and one of his trump cards is the support he gets from our owners....That will be so high on his list of aids, to his long term plans.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The fact we made latest partnership with Basque club he owns says it all. Owners have given him everything. He will be here for ages as long as we get the results. Thinking about it the other day I've been Villa fan since 94 and he's the first genuine elite manager in that time

He clearly has a personal relationship with them too. He went on holiday to US and went to NBA game. It's clear to me this is a Klopp to Liverpool type moment. Pep to City. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

He clearly has a personal relationship with them too. He went on holiday to US and went to NBA game. It's clear to me this is a Klopp to Liverpool type moment. Pep to City. 

His brother was at the game on Wednesday so the relationship is strong.

11 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

You know Nasif Sawaris and Wes Edens I know well, played golf with them one time, just the one time. They said to me sir, Mister Trump sir, we're having alot of problems, ALOT of problems they said with this Steven Gerrrard guy Sir. What can we do!?

I told them, I said to them, guys, you gotta do this right. Steven Gerrard, great player terrible manager. I told them that, terrible manager. I said, get him the HELL out I said and get Unai Emery, a very good friend of mine, great guy. Get Unai I said. Get rid of that Coutinho guy. I mean have you seen him. He can't run. How the hell do you play a guy that can't run!? I said that.

So, because of me they're having all this success. I told them get Unai. From Spain. Beautiful country, home of the paella. Wonderful food, Great people.

I had that suspicion all along.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

His brother was at the game on Wednesday so the relationship is strong.

I love the fact that Unai looks like Dracula and his brother is called Igor. 

• Haha 4

Â