Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, R.Bear said:

We've responded to our 3 losses this season with wins in the next game. That is very important and something we have been bad at for years before Emery.

Yep. Good that we've seemingly put the Smith streakiness behind us.

I think if I had to label Emery it would be as a gambler. He is across all of the minute details of the game and is bold. Sometimes it fails, like in Europe last game out but it looked entirely calculated. This guy just knows the odds and I swear it's why he's got such a great points return as a manager. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think if I had to label Emery it would be as a gambler. He is across all of the minute details of the game and is bold. Sometimes it fails, like in Europe last game out but it looked entirely calculated. This guy just knows the odds and I swear it's why he's got such a great points return as a manager. 

The Tony Bloom of a football pitch not a club. Calculated the odds of high line vs not and has 1000 games of history to fall back on. As you say  calculated odds

• Like 1

Sometimes one could doubt the work being done (even though it followed a great success), after our three bad losses each on it’s own, with all of them having the same issue. The meltdown comes because of players lost for several reasons (particularly Mings, Moreno but also Young). Those things made me less confident with our approach. But whenever I doubt I remember our run of three losses and 11 goals last season. Then Stevenage and Wolves. How we bounced back from both and started building consistency. 
We have couple of new players, who are learning to the system. Some weakness and strength compared to our old ones (Cash is more athlete than Young but his awareness is worse, Mings the same but has more attributes defensively, Torres is better for our build up). So still to compare it’s not easy but work in progress. 
The hood thing is we’re doubting the guy who’s so recently getting us 6th with not an easy schedule (despite of what happened last season). We won 3/4/5 in only few games played. 
That’s a sign of a good team, great ambition and a big confidence from the fans. It’s also a sign of a manager who’s looking long and medium range terms by trying to apply style. He done it last season and we’ve shifted 11 goals but went into a huge run after that. 
Tough challenge this Wednesday, some positions we don’t have cover for, interesting to know what will Emery do regarding that. But it’s a huge game.

It may have been mentioned but I don’t actually think we’ve played all that well this season and yet we’ve had a very good start.

Emery will be aware of that and if he can get us up to the levels of last season and perhaps beyond with the likes of Diaby and Zaniolo, top 6 is definitely on the cards.

The gap between the top 8 and bottom 12 will be massive this season.

• Like 1

Can still recall how lost, clueless, toothless and inept our attack was under the previous “manager” and look how freely we create chances and pepper the opposition goal now…

How easily we keep and pass the ball now… calm and assured in possession.

Style and identity where, previously, there was nothing of the sort…

What a turnaround…

From 

spacer.png

to 

spacer.png

Wow

We were rocked at the start of the season, plans and momentum disrupted but Unai is building something and it’s going to take time, patience and understanding. He will get it right and overcome obstacles and challenges… 

as he says, we are under “construction” and will look to beat “top sides” more regularly, becoming one in our own right and style…

Emery should soon overtake Gregory’s points tally after their respective first X amount of games.

I believe JG was on 67 points after 31 games (70 points after 32, fwiw).

That crazy return drastically tailed off about this point, reaching the 40th game and having 71 points - didn’t enjoy that trip down memory lane when checking this, by the way.

Very much doable for Unai.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Can still recall how lost, clueless, toothless and inept our attack was under the previous “manager” and look how freely we create chances and pepper the opposition goal now…

How easily we keep and pass the ball now… calm and assured in possession.

Style and identity where, previously, there was nothing of the sort…

What a turnaround…

From 

spacer.png

to 

spacer.png

Wow

Can anyone think of a better managerial upgrade in recent history? Literally moving from a guy who’d be lucky to manage in the championship these days to an elite world class manager 

• Like 1

Â