Unai Emery

PeterSw

Just now, Demitri_C said:

But why eveey 1st game of the season do we perform this poorly? Its unacceptable 

The last three have been terrible. The previous two can chalked up to growing pains with life without Grealish/a terrible manager. 

Today is a very good side putting their chances away, some questionable referee decisions, Mings going off injured and us being bad. 

Bad results happen. It’s when they happen frequently we should be getting particularly worked up.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Unfortunately it does. 

Regardless of how good a manager he is, which he is btw. He's still responsible for one of the most atrocious performances I can remember today. He sets the team up, chose the tactics etc. He takes the plaudits when we do well and should take the criticism when we are poor. Today was a bad day for Unai and the way he set the team up to defend. It doesn't make people idiots for questioning him. Nobody is turning on him. 

Agreed.

That was my point too, yet I got called an idiot for it and the offensive posts were correctly removed.

Villa were undercooked, unprepared, naïve, soft and completely bested today...

Are we supposed to be happy with that? Of course not..... 

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

It's pretty clear the injury to Mings changed the game.

You can't blame Unai for losing 2 key players in the space of 72 hours.

You can't.

You can question the tactics and the defensive set up today though because from the first minute we were second best. 

Shit happens though.  

• Like 4

Just now, ozvilla28 said:

Let's not get carried away after one game , but the buck stops with him we looked lost out there we should be prepared for rd 1.

Absolutely he set them up and he underprepared them. Simple.

Hopefully we learn....and improve.

If someone said to me after Brighton on the last game of the season "you'll be starting next season with the exact same starting 11 except for 1 player" I would have been mighty pissed off.

Yes we don't have a bad team but we should be looking to improve on them, Cash was woeful today but will be an automatic starter because we don't have any competition whatsoever, and the even bigger problem with that position is that Cash was our second best RB last season as well.

We only have a Watkins up front, did anyone see the pre-match thread when we thought that he might be injured, it was full on panic stations.

Whether Bailey was only starting because of Buendia's injury or if he would have been in the starting 11 anyway I don't know but I don't want him starting games for us.

For me there is still a helluva lot of work to be done in this transfer window and I was saying that before today.

Mingsy being out long term is a massive blow and we have to hope that Tores is up to the challenge (and it'll be a big challenge) 

Today was a gut punch and it wasn't good enough from either the manager or the players but its one game, we aren't in a relegation battle just yet.

• Like 2

Just now, avfc1982am said:

You can't.

You can question the tactics and the defensive set up today though because from the first minute we were second best. 

Shit happens though.  

Yup, first five minutes we allowed them the ascendancy...

The loss was inevitable.

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

If someone said to me after Brighton on the last game of the season "you'll be starting next season with the exact same starting 11 except for 1 player" I would have been mighty pissed off.

Quite a powerful statement in isolation that one and I'm inclined to agree.

Unprepared is our new motto it seems.

Whose fault is it, some say we aren't allowed to question Unai.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We surely know that this fixture was one of the toughest, many fans said it was a nightmare fixture. Did Emery not think that too?

First five minutes Villa gave them everything, it set the tone. Hence my reasoning for saying Villa were unprepared.

I don't know what makes you think Emery didn't think that too?

And being outplayed early in a game is not the same as being "unprepared", and certainly isn't the same as personifying lack of preparedness in general.

Just seems like an absurd overreaction.

• Like 1

Meticulous planning can't overcome the shit luck we've had this week. We don't have a replacement for Buendia. We don't have a leader like Mings.

There's only so much he can do to overcome that. I'd hope he'd be able to do more. Maybe he expected more from some of our players. 

A bad day at the office for Emery, I rated him poor, but I'm not sure the best manager in the world wins that game after the luck we've had and poor refereeing we're competing against

Everyone has a bed day at the office, I think Uni has a free pass for getting us 7th after the s#%tshow that Slippy G left us in.

Yes the performance was poor, I think the injury to Emi knocked some of the moment out of the players then after Mings there was a definite drop off. 

Let's hope we see a more improved performance next week!

Â