Unai Emery

PeterSw

I think Emery might have stipulated that he only comes if he has control of recruitment.  He’s very specific about the skill sets he needs in players so the players he wants maybe very different, this why I’ve accepted I’m likely to be very meh about his signings but know he will mould them into a great team.  

Given the Moreno deal and links with Guendouzi and co, which are all meh to me, he’s working just as I thought he would and thus I’m very excited about the future and don’t mind him having control of recruitment.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the pre-match interview Unai mentioned the squad going to the hotel for a meal and for the final discussion ahead of the game. Is this a normal thing for the squad to do to prepare for a home game? Howcome we don’t just prepare at Bodymoor? Assuming the hotel is the one where we have a bunch of unsigned players being kept in rooms… 

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

During the pre-match interview Unai mentioned the squad going to the hotel for a meal and for the final discussion ahead of the game. Is this a normal thing for the squad to do to prepare for a home game? Howcome we don’t just prepare at Bodymoor? Assuming the hotel is the one where we have a bunch of unsigned players being kept in rooms… 

I think some managers have the players all stay together in a hotel night before for home games and travel in together, others don't. Assume Emery is doing the former. MON used to as well. Saw a few times him taking the whole squad for a walk down the Hagley Road the morning of games.

15 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

My favourite lecturer at uni was Italian and spoke at about Emery's level of English. He was absolutely captivating and kept the room hanging on his every word.

My least favourite was a native English speaker who was boring as sin.

Guess which class I got better marks in. I doubt Emi is teaching anything quite as dry as these two were either.

Emi Emery? ;)

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

As stated different coaches do things differently. The logic behind it is every night home or away you will have the whole team together at a hotel. So it becomes a normal routine. Also means players spend more time together and hopefully build more bonds. The opposing view is this is an additional cost and players might prefer sleeping in their own beds and "switching off" before games. Coach too might prefer being home day before a game 

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think the difference between Emery having full control and MON is that he will treat it as a privilege , not a right. And he will do everything possible to repay the faith put in him. 

That’s some leap of faith, not sure how you could possibly come to that without it being a complete guess work

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Not sure why we are quoting a 3 year old article when the manager is doing quite articulate 25 minute interviews in english. Furthermore, you haven't actually identified what you are concerned about with regard to Emerys english. Just reads like you wanted to bring it up.

Fair enough. This doesn't come from my inherent Anglo centrism or whatever, I have just thought in a few earlier interviews I watched, his English could be improved a bit, and I think communication is very important for a leader. The Bielsa counterpoint is a good one though and to be clear I'm delighted with his appointment and I'm a huge fan of what he's said so far & throughout his career.

Don't get why people are getting so defensive. I admire Emery in many ways, but his English isn't always 100% clear. Doubt it will be an issue as I think he's naturally very infectious, but there's nothing wrong with considering it could be. Especially when you know what he'll be wanting to get across will often be extremely detailed.

Just watched his press conference, which is over twenty-five minutes.

Unai Emery is such a likeable character, positive, energetic and has vision and tactical nous. He seems very open to questions and not too defensive unlike the previous incumbent.

I enjoy listening to him and I'm sure the players most importantly will begin to learn how to improve and learn what is necessary to be part of his plans.

I thought he dealt very well with the loaded questions from the French reporter who was obviously looking for some dirt. Mr. Emery defended well and was quite strong to affirm how proud we all are of Emiliano Martinez as Aston Villa fans. I like that little touch about how he classified himself as an Aston Villa fan too.

Important how he said on a couple of occasions how important the role of the Villa fans is, starting tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Don't get why people are getting so defensive. I admire Emery in many ways, but his English isn't always 100% clear. Doubt it will be an issue as I think he's naturally very infectious, but there's nothing wrong with considering it could be. Especially when you know what he'll be wanting to get across will often be extremely detailed.

Its nitpicking though, nobody made similar comments when Gerrard struggled with English

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Mantis said:

His English is fine. His accent can be a bit tricky to understand but that's a separate thing. His actual grasp of the English language is no issue at all.

The danger is if he has an issue communicating in detail or with tact in a language we acknowledge can be tricky to understand at times.

It’s notable that his career success has overwhelmingly come in Spain and his career struggles have happened each time he tried his hand abroad (In Russia, France and England). 

I am hopeful it will work out for us but there is always that possibility that his technical expertise is not conveyed clearly when he moves away from his native language. 

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah, I saw a few other photo comparisons on Twitter.

Like he said in his press conference, he's at Bodymoor and the Hotel. That's it. Man is working hard.

Oh yeah without doubt. Still funny though.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Oh yeah without doubt. Still funny though.

Remember Lambert looked like shit by Christmas 2012. Though conceding 12 in two games to Chelsea and Spurs probably didn't help. 

Anyway, viva Unai. I can't wait to see what he does to shape the squad. 

• Like 1

Â