Unai Emery

PeterSw

He's had a tough 4 games to start. 

United, United, Brighton away and Liverpool. Given how badly this side were beaten at Newcastle and Fulham before he took over.

We've got a nice run of fixtures in January hopefully we can see what we do against the teams around us and below us. I like how many chances we are creating in games so far

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Put it this way. His goalscoring rate is 0.33 per 90 minutes in the pl. Maupay’s was 0.31 prior to his everton move, almost identical to watkins rate yet he only cost 15m. Even the english tax isn’t going to double his price.

Did Maupay only have a year left on his deal? Plus he'd have a few fallouts with Potter and wasn't always starting so think Brighton felt it was right time to move him on.

Ollie has two years left this summer so that's the time to sell him really. Another year of him being inconsistent and teams will low ball us with bids if he's just got 12 months left.

Edited by VillaChris

17 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I already discussed this. We made loads and loads of good chances and we finished none. A striker not finishing chances is not a result of systems,  it's down to strikers not finishing chances.

Are you suggesting that changing the way we create chances in offensive play will improve our defending of set pieces? If not then I think you are trying to have a different argument with me than the one we were originally having, which was me countering someone who suggested that we should have changed things because we'd conceded from set pieces and had been battering them for 30 minutes at the start of the second half, but had only scored once. 

No, I am not.....but I am suggesting at least one, maybe 2 competent centre backs with some physical presence will help.

Ineviatbly the missed chances will dominate the debate.....but they could have had 6 with the chances they had, and missed.

Its easier to miss chances to score, than defend them.

I agree too, chances missed are not down to systems, and in many cases, poor defending may not be either......Its down to players to defend well and as Ty himself said, we defended poorly.

My personal feeling is.... we don't have enough good physicaly adept players in the squad, to start with......I don't class Chambers, Bednarek, as good enough.

Yes, I do like my Centre Backs to be units, like Liverpool and Newcastle have......but they have to have talent too, and we do have Carlos to come back.

This boy Benoit Badiashile looks like someone, we should be checking out.

7 hours ago, eholm said:

Yep, he made this pretty clear. Referenced the point that the players played as individuals in the first half. So this is due to one of 2 reasons. Either the players still need more time to fully understand the tactics and need more time playing within those tactical systems OR they do not have the tactical awareness/capability and skill to implement those tactics. 
Now, after having watched this group (mainly) of players for 3 years the natural assumption is the latter and that the majority of them will not be able to progress and develop. However, there is a part of me that feels UE will use the remainder of the season to see if he can coach them successfully to improve their level. 

IMO, UE is the best tactician we have had in my 40+ years of following the Villa. I think he will give this current squad time to try and develop, adapt and improve until the Summer. Maximum of 2 additions in this window as we cannot keep buying players when it is so difficult for us to move any on. Then, come the Summer, UE will make the big decisions around who needs replacing. We may be surprised at those that improve accordingly or our initial thoughts on those individuals who lack quality will be confirmed. Let’s let UE coach first and foremost - after all that’s what he does….and does it very well indeed. 

I agree, with that and it puts things in perspective.

However, can we remind ourselves, coaching is not the elixir to all ills.......There is a reason why most teams in the Prem, have big units at Centre Back and Goal keeper.......and its also hard to coach, lack of pace.

Teams have to have attributes, weapons to hurt teams with......we currently have a very similar bunch.

I accept UE will in time make a difference, how much, without additions weapons to come in, I am unsure.

For me, right now.....We need a centre forward, with height, to help win aerial balls, we need a centre back with height and muscle to accompany his defending talent, and we need a winger, with pace, who can beat a full back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Tbh I’ve written off this season, not in a negative way though.

We will win more than enough games to not be in any danger, we will see who in this existing squad can play football the way Unai wants us to play over the remaining portion of the season and I think we will hit the ground running next season with no international tournament to distract.

I’m not by any means saying that the rest of this season doesn’t matter, but I think any talk of ‘sneaking into Europe‘ is wishful and we need these next 22 games to help us get used to playing out from the back, defending with a high line and most importantly get used to the way Unai wants us to attack teams, before having a proper splurge in the transfer market in the summer.

While I was initially disappointed after watching the Liverpool game, after a second watch I see many more reasons to be positive for our future.

I just watched bits of first half again. After going 1-0 down we really should have scored 2 after that. Created some massive chances. Fine margins.

• Like 2

The team looks transformed from when the Scouse fraud whose CV was just his name in big crayon letters was in charge. We actually look like there's been some focused tactical thought put onto things, that there's actually a genuine plan in place.

Remarkable what a good manager can do. We need to keep improving, some of which will come from the squad getting chopped and changed and some from the side just getting into the routine of how the manager wants to play.

• Like 3

Think we’ll go for more of a mid block like against Brighton, another team that plays with wingbacks. 

Quality of passing isn’t as switched on like Liverpool. 

Unai is no dummy, he’s not going to roll out the same tactics every week. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

The difference between us and when the slippery one was in charge is huge. We look much better in all facets of the game. 

Lets hope it turns in to results....because in the cold light of day, that is the holy grail.

We have played 3 won 2 and lost 1......so its very early, for sweeping statements.....We also showed a tendency to be wide open in the cup at Old Trafford.

I was particularly miffed, in how open we was against Liverpool.....so I guess, its all about opinions.

we will see against, Spurs.

Ps Having a full team available, might make a difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

We will win more than enough games to not be in any danger, we will see who in this existing squad can play football the way Unai wants us to play over the remaining portion of the season and I think we will hit the ground running next season with no international tournament to distract.

I’m not by any means saying that the rest of this season doesn’t matter, but I think any talk of ‘sneaking into Europe‘ is wishful and we need these next 22 games to help us get used to playing out from the back, defending with a high line and most importantly get used to the way Unai wants us to attack teams, before having a proper splurge in the transfer market in the summer.

While I was initially disappointed after watching the Liverpool game, after a second watch I see many more reasons to be positive for our future.

I feel much the same.

However, unless we bring in the right players, I don't as see as much changing, as some are making out.

The game against Liverpool was great for the neutrals.....but defensively, I was miffed.....despite the schoolboy errors in front to goal.

I have no issues, with the claim, that this team can play football......but that only takes us part of the way......The rest, we have a lot to learn.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

No, I am not.....but I am suggesting at least one, maybe 2 competent centre backs with some physical presence will help.

Ineviatbly the missed chances will dominate the debate.....but they could have had 6 with the chances they had, and missed.

Its easier to miss chances to score, than defend them.

I agree too, chances missed are not down to systems, and in many cases, poor defending may not be either......Its down to players to defend well and as Ty himself said, we defended poorly.

My personal feeling is.... we don't have enough good physicaly adept players in the squad, to start with......I don't class Chambers, Bednarek, as good enough.

Yes, I do like my Centre Backs to be units, like Liverpool and Newcastle have......but they have to have talent too, and we do have Carlos to come back.

This boy Benoit Badiashile looks like someone, we should be checking out.

Inevitably, though, if you have massive CB units, they will tend to be lacking in pace, and less quick off the mark, meaning a high defensive line is a no-no. Imo, UE will not be looking at those kind of players. He'll be going for quick technical CBs.

40 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Inevitably, though, if you have massive CB units, they will tend to be lacking in pace, and less quick off the mark, meaning a high defensive line is a no-no. Imo, UE will not be looking at those kind of players. He'll be going for quick technical CBs.

Then we might be seeing a few headed goals in the back of out net....particularly at set pieces.

He was also observant in his comment about the set pieces, saying "its not normal" to defend like that.....so we will see in time how he proposes to address it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Lets hope it turns in to results....because in the cold light of day, that is the holy grail.

We have played 3 won 2 and lost 1......so its very early, for sweeping statements.....We also showed a tendency to be wide open in the cup at Old Trafford.

I was particularly miffed, in how open we was against Liverpool.....so I guess, its all about opinions.

we will see against, Spurs.

Ps Having a full team available, might make a difference.

I agree with full team comment.  Going against Spurs with JJ, Emi in goal, and Cash our squad will look much better.  

JJ in for McGinn, Emi is obvious, despite the resurgence of Young at FB- Cash is a better defender- I think he will help our back 4.  UE typically likes to attack from one side, leave one FB behind to almost have 3 CBs when we attack.  Cash can be that 3rd CB better than Young imo.  Admittedly Young is a better passer etc.

4 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

Write it off..... Whattttttt 😂 What was your expectations? top 4?

Europe is still to play for! FA Cup is still to play for.

5 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Write it off..... Whattttttt 😂 What was your expectations? top 4?

Europe is still to play for! FA Cup is still to play for.

Its all about what the results pattern deems to be.

you can't have any real expectation of Europe defending like we did against Utd (cup) and Liverpool.

You can hope, of course and you fill your mind with positive thoughts, but in terms of reality, we have to be harder to play against than this. surely you can see that.

11 minutes ago, tinker said:

Playing high up the pitch you can't afford to lose the ball cheaply when you shouldn't be, if you do then a simple ball leads to foot race between the CB and the striker, only one winner there.

If you do lose the ball then you have to stop that ball being played , tackle them or foul them in their own half, just as Liverpool did when we had a chance to break from their high press. 

Our problems stem from losing possession when we shouldn't be and doing it cheaply and then not reacting quickly enough to stop the threat.

it is a part of the problem. The other part is not having a Des Walker or Kyle walker to recover.

• Like 1

Â