Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What’s funny @jim? We’re sat 3 points off 7th after 2 games of Emery in charge, a bit of optimism is deserved after that relegation charge we were on

Getting a bit carried away. We had two amazing  results but there are still issues with this team especially consistency, and we have some tough games coming up.

Top ten would be a great achievement at this point. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

New manager bounce effect is in here too. We'll see how we get on after the World Cup. It's been a brilliant start though and he's clearly a brilliant coach. It's the players I don't trust fully given the evidence of the last 18 months

Evidence has shown that a 'New manager bounce' is likely due to the easier fixtures that a new manager is given, we have played 2 top eight teams. 

• Like 3

Hope we can finally put to bed this notion his poor English at the time was the reason it didn’t work out at Arsenal 

1. His English wasn’t that bad. He was coaching an international team essentially nationality wise, so this theory that he needed english is folly.

2. That particular group of Arsenal players were spoilt, entitled and had no appetite to work. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Milfner said:

We are so, so lucky to have him.

This. There will always be a plan. We went away to an inform team today with absolutely no pace in the squad due to Illness and he still found a way. 

There is a reason this guy has won so much. Even though we have wealthy owners, and as fans we of course think we’re a huge club (and we are) the simple fact is that it’s been over a decade since we even troubled the top 6. 

To get a guy like this is absolutely remarkable. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Hope we can finally put to bed this notion his poor English at the time was the reason it didn’t work out at Arsenal 

1. His English wasn’t that bad. He was coaching an international team essentially nationality wise, so this theory that he needed english is folly.

2. That particular group of Arsenal players were spoilt, entitled and had no appetite to work. 

Yep. It’s been well documented that Wenger did not, or allow any of his coaching staff to shout at the players. 

When you consider the shit show that UTD have been post Ferguson, he doesn’t get enough credit for the job he did at Arsenal after Wenger. 

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

New manager bounce effect is in here too. We'll see how we get on after the World Cup. It's been a brilliant start though and he's clearly a brilliant coach. It's the players I don't trust fully given the evidence of the last 18 months

I think we might be one of those teams that do well after the World Cup as our key players will have had a bit of a break, UE will have had time to work with a lot of the squad during the break and fix a few things.  I also think we'll be active in the January market and that Emery will have a very clear idea of the type of player that he wants to sign.  I know we've both spoken of the weakness of our spine over the last 18 months and the lack of balance in our squad - I don't think Dean or Gerrard addressed this but I am much more confident that Emery will "get it" and also fix it.  I also do think that the way he seems to want to play is going to see a big improvement in the likes of Digne, Luiz, JJ and Bailey.  Kamara and (hopefully) Carlos coming back I think are also ideally suited to Emeryball.  I genuinely think that early on in the Jan window we'll have made massive strides on the balance issue.  The remaining issue is addressing our fragility and tendency to let games get away from us.  Improved confidence will play a big part in that - but I expect to see at least one very vocal leader to join to lead the team on the pitch.

In just 2 matches we go into the WC break looking up the table rather than at what is below us.  We are currently closer to Europe than we are relegation.  That is remarkable given how **** we have been for a large chunk of the season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think this guy has a win-at-all-costs mentality and those that don't fall in line will either have to get used to it or be moved on. This is great for us as a club.

Martinez gets it. He will cheat and be horrible for opponents and we have needed that for sooooooo long as a club. 

The back 6 when leading is an example of it. The players going down "injured" is another example. 

I cannot wait to see the team we field after 3 or 4 transfer windows with Unai in charge. Give this guy £150m - £250m to spend and we will have a serious team/squad to follow. 

If I knew nothing else about him, Martinez would be my favorite player of the last 5 years at Villa because of his Olympic level shithousery and ability to wind up opposition players and fans. 

The fact that he's a world class keeper cements this view. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He has a thick accent, but his English is actually very good. Certainly better than plenty of foreign coaches who have been lauded as geniuses in the Premier League (Poch, Bielsa, Conte, etc).

His problem is he took on Arsenal at a very difficult time, had a fanbase with wildly unrealistic expectations, and a squad of overpaid wasters.

I think at Villa we (the fans and the players) appreciate the opportunity. In a way, Gerrard has been the palate cleanser… any residual loyalty to Smith has gone, and everyone was ready for Gerrard to go. It’s a perfect time to join. Decent squad of players, underperforming, but plenty of solid personalities in the dressing room who want the team to do well.

And a lot of these players will be feeling that Emery can make them reach their potential.

He’ll be a hero here. He already is tbh.

It’s a northern spain twang, Xabi Alonso sounded exactly the same. Emery’s English is bang on. Arsenal fans are a weird bunch. Between their last league win in ‘05 ( i think ) and up to recently they’ve been constantly flapping their gums about how massive a club they are. Now - that they are in with a genuine shot at winning the thing, their fanbase have gone deathly quiet 😂

• Haha 1

Â