Unai Emery

PeterSw

Just need to click into place and Villa can do what Arsenal, Newcastle and Fulham are all doing. Overachieving.
Tactics is defiantly the issue. Emery is the man to turn it around. 

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I'm not getting overexcited, but I have high hopes for this guy. I promise to be patient. He's going to need time, and I will give it to him.

See you Tuesday afternoon for your first Emery out post then. 😃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

he talked about the most modern tactics being technical, but also about speed, power, physicality, winning duels and battles at speed, pressing and turnovers etc, h

We are lacking most of those qualities in our squad. Lots of work to do to in the transfer market, so don't expect Emery to have us playing at our optimum until next season at least. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

The World Cup period offers a unique &  excellent opportunity for Unai to drum in his methodology. How many of our players will be at the tournament? Just Martinez, Digne & Cash? Unlikely to be selected: Mings, Watkins, Buendia, Coutinho, Luiz...

I wonder which nice hot tropical country the winter training camp we arrange for the team for those weeks will be? Bound to happen for bonding and all that and I’m not against it because it’ll be like a preseason for Emery.  I’m just jealous of training in the sun rather than early morning, dark, cold, wet mornings to the gym that I’ll be suffering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I wonder which nice hot tropical country the winter training camp we arrange for the team for those weeks will be? Bound to happen for bonding and all that and I’m not against it because it’ll be like a preseason for Emery.  I’m just jealous of training in the sun rather than early morning, dark, cold, wet mornings to the gym that I’ll be suffering.

Dubai, apparently. Also a good time zone for them to watch the WC matches on TV & understand why so few of them are good enough yet to be there.

• Like 1

Unai needs to work out a system quickly. For me our two starting full backs (Cash and Digne) are a real weak link. 

He also needs to get the midfield balance right and I’m still to be convinced of Watkins and Ings playing together! 

I think our players from an individual point of view aren’t bad. The team is peppered with good international standard players. We have just looked poorly coached for the last 18months.

I hope Emery gets us playing as a unit and more than the sum of the parts. For me it’s a free hit until the WC break. I’d hope to see his style come through after that! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Unai needs to work out a system quickly. For me our two starting full backs (Cash and Digne) are a real weak link. 

He also needs to get the midfield balance right and I’m still to be convinced of Watkins and Ings playing together! 

I think our players from an individual point of view aren’t bad. The team is peppered with good international standard players. We have just looked poorly coached for the last 18months.

I hope Emery gets us playing as a unit and more than the sum of the parts. For me it’s a free hit until the WC break. I’d hope to see his style come through after that! 

I think it might take longer than three games for free hits.  It’s good he’ll have a month with no games to drill his style into them but we have to be patient.

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Errr... he gets what, 2 games? That's generous of you. 😅

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think it might take longer than three games for free hits.  It’s good he’ll have a month with no games to drill his style into them but we have to be patient.

I don't think or suspect, I KNOW. There is no way in hell this squad comes together in a new system in 2.3 games and brings decent performances or consistency. If anyone thinks that you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

Sorry, you’ve misunderstood me. I’ll be patient with Unai like I was with Gerrard. I think we need to leave the manager do his job now for 3-4 seasons. But the first three are complete free hits, in that I will read nothing into the matches (good or bad). And hope that the WC break will give him the time to get his ideas across to the players. 

I see. Makes sense and I agree!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Howe fixed Newcastle in a month.'I think we should expect something similar.

That's what top managers can do.

He won one of his first ten games, including a loss to Cambridge.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

He won one of his first ten games, including a loss to Cambridge.

True but I'm talking about style of play and results quickly followed after that one month.

Which proves a top manager can change things very fast.

9 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’d be happy to see the back of Lange now to be honest. Get a new DoF in ahead of the Jan transfer window preferably in the World Cup break. Needs to have more say than Purslow in footballing decisions and be compatible with Emery. They need to identify our strengths and weaknesses and work on a shared strategy to improve.

Purslow just needs to keep to the financial stuff. 

As much Beale should have kept his gob shut talking about Villa after Gerrards sacking there is going to be truth in what he says about the running of the club. 

Yes we could do with yet another top to toe overhaul in management and players. We haven't done that for all of about 2 years.  We have endless churn and little to show for it tbh. We need to stick with Emery and pray this appointment works. 

Â