Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we can sign a winger that can play both sides and a striker, I think that could possibly do us for the next two windows and achieve top half.

Sure I'd like more, and there's holes elsewhere, but we are going to see an uptick from everyone IMO.

Yeah I think the 3 for me would be CB (I am a fan of Mings but still think he can be upgraded), a striker and someone who can play across the 3 behind the striker 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think our squad is good enough for the CL but I do think we are good enough for the Europa league or that new european league,but to get anywhere in any competition we definately need a top class striker.

Love that he has arrived in time to manage a push in one or both of the domestic cups. Seemingly cup competitions are his bread and butter so would be great to go long in the cups given we are at a big disadvantage in the league already due to our poor start. 

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno, i agree we should back him with some signings, but he also has a history of improving players and bringing youth through.

we already have a fairly large squad, i agree we should back him with a few signings, but we also need to offload a few as right now there is no real space or pathway for our youth (on the whole), and i honestly think one of his remits would be to bring a few youth players through the system and either integrate them in to the first team, or develop them to sell.

Obviously i know nothing, but i would honestly guess that his agreement/remit might be:

1) we will back you with signings, but nothing mind blowing or that will put the club at financial risk (ie: 100m over Jan and the summer, but as much funded by sales/profit as possible).

2) offload some players (to help fund signings), i think we prob have quite a few players just not suited to how he likes to play).

3) improve the players we already have (he has a history of doing this - i didnt mean it as a cliche).

4) integrate & develop youth to either integrate in to the first team squad or develop to sell for profit (this will also help the transfer kitty and sustainability).

i would guess that the days of spending 150m in a window, with no income from sales is gone, tbh, the last couple of years have shown this, we havent spent big in the last couple of years, in terms of net spend (i know contracts/salaries are different - but yeah, im just talking in terms of net transfer spend).

I would honestly guess that Emery is coming in for the full project, to build the culture he wants, improve the players we have, buy some players but fund some of that with sales of senior or youth players (the youth players who arent deemed good enough for our own squad), i am guessing, but i reckon possibly one of the reasons he chose us is that the owners and Purslow have given him the full scope of the project to manage, alongside Lange and the rest of the team.

as long as we as fans are on board and dont get restless, we could be in for an interesting ride.

i just hope it doesnt turn out like the Gerrard debacle 😭 (i was defo guilty of trying to give Gerrard the benefit of the doubt for the first 6 months, but i was proven badly wrong), although this is a totally different kettle of fish, with a proven coach, so fingers crossed.

Spending money, is only a part of it, you then have to buy right, and then blend them in to a cohesive unit.

If some of those things are not right, spending money, seems a burden, spent right and all the boxes ticked, it becomes an investment.

The enthusiasm for UE is inevitable, with his proven record, but as we know, it can soon turn sour, if all the stars don't align.

He is like any other manager, he will need a reasonable amount of wins, to give himself time.....losing streaks are never a good sign, when the plan is to incrementally build.

There is no time, in top flight football, you have to create it for yourself....past managers had difficulty doing that.

I am hoping UE has the ability to reverse, defeats fairly quickly and avoid bad runs.....it's inevitable we will lose games under him, but bouncing back, is a feature he must secure.

Expectancy, needs to be managed too, and lofty quotes, are unhelpful....What I am looking for, initially, is an ability to be hard to play against, but also a team with a fierce desire to hurt opposing teams.

perfectly crafted football, will have to wait, but convincing football is our immediate target.....This team of ours can play, but we need to stop them, who are targeting stopping us.... we have to find a way of negating presses and imposing ourselves, without leaving the back door open.

I have no fetish for Attacking or defensive football, both have a place in a game.....I want convincing football and I am hoping UE can deliver it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

One of the reasons we've brought Unai in, in my opinion, is that he doesn't solve team or squad problems but immediately going into the transfer market. He looks at how to better coach the squad, looks to youth if necessary, rather than just demand the chequebook be opened.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

One of the reasons we've brought Unai in, in my opinion, is that he doesn't solve team or squad problems but immediately going into the transfer market. He looks at how to better coach the squad, looks to youth if necessary, rather than just demand the chequebook be opened.

One of the reasons why I think he'll stick about until he feels he had done all he can.  As opposed to Poch or Tuchel who would've jumped the first sniff of a big club coming in.

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s as entertaining as an enema 

it really is an embarrasing attempt at humour.

He needs to give it a rest, before he becomes the subject matter of the intended humour....or is that too late?

The one drawback of the Internet is....even the most lowgrade of anything, can muster an audience....the mind boggles.

Didn't take long for Howe to get things going fast.

I think Newcastle were 3rd or something in the form table at the end of last season after Howe was appointed.

Top managers identifies what the club needs and  get things sorted fast.

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Didn't take long for Howe to get things going fast.

I think Newcastle were 3rd or something in the form table at the end of last season after Howe was appointed.

Top managers identifies what the club needs and  get things sorted fast.

After doing badly in the first few games if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Then they went to Saudi Arabia and came back super fit.

3 games before WC, try and get as many points as possible.  Then UE will have the WC break to get the team going.  World Cup could be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

Not saying I'm expecting him to do a Howe but if he is this elite level manager as people says I expect to see noticable improvements very quickly.

Edited by Pinebro

39 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I think that is a big gaping hole we need to fill.....players individually need to get better and then apply that to the team getting better.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not saying I'm expecting him to do a Howe but if he is this elite level manager as people says I expect to see noticable improvements very quickly.

Howe leading up to January 2022, never won a game.

UE is an elite manager, not a magician.

it takes time, I get what you mean, but we have to give him time for his ideas to be got across and for the players to execute them.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

He is an elite manager, not a magician.

it takes time, I get what you mean, but we have to give him time for his ideas to be got across and for the players to execute them.

What about Howe then?

Newcastle was in an absolute mess when he took over.

Not even sure they had won a game yet and they were dead on confidence.

Yes things will take time but we should expect to see improvements straight away.

Â