Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, MaVilla said:

i wonder if he will go 442 or 4231, he seems to have preferred 4231 historically, but seems to have played a 442 variant a lot recently.

We'll probably see both depending on opposition. He played 3 at the back at Arsenal for a while too.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

i wonder if he will go 442 or 4231, he seems to have preferred 4231 historically, but seems to have played a 442 variant a lot recently.

I suspect what he might do, as an actual football manager and not a former Roy of the Rovers roleplaying as a football manager, is look at the players at his disposal and pick an approach that gets the best out of them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

He can probably do both depending on the opposition, a 442 can very easily change to a 4231 mid-game.

Just now, romavillan said:

We'll probably see both depending on opposition. He played 3 at the back at Arsenal for a while too.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I suspect what he might do, as an actual football manager and not a former Roy of the Rovers roleplaying as a football manager, is look at the players at his disposal and pick an approach that gets the best out of them.

Just now, duke313 said:

He can probably do both depending on the opposition, a 442 can very easily change to a 4231 mid-game.

yeah, just interesting to think about for sure!, this is what he has done this season in terms of formation.

image.thumb.png.e07ba6eaf3f2fee6239736d6aa744aa8.png

27 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I disagree with the comments suggesting that he doesn't have an identity.

I posted the below in the tactics thread.  Emery uses a range of formations but they all fit within a philosophy of how the team plays together as a unit.  His teams play a high line, are compact and purposeful. 

I also shared a link to this video of him explaining how Sevilla tactically defeated Liverpool.  The guy is a tactical master.

Imagine a tactics chat like this with bloody Steve Bruce.

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if only we had subtitles....

Some quotes on the English language version of the website at least

https://villarrealcf.es/en/news/item/35951-emery-i-felt-at-home-at-villarreal

The Basque head coach thanked the club for their trust in him and predicted a great future for the Yellows

Unai Emery appeared before the media this Tuesday to give his last words as Villarreal CF head coach. Accompanied by the chairman and CEO of the club, the Basque manager said farewell to the Yellows family before embarking on his future career in England.

The coach from started by thanking the club for the trust placed in him: “I am very grateful to Villarreal CF, the president and Fernando. I am also grateful to José Manuel Llaneza, who will always be in my memory. I am also grateful to all the people who are part of the club, the people and the fans. For all those moments we have shared, which have been precious.”

After two and a half years in the Yellows’ dugout, Emery has decided to take on a new project. “I've had two and a half very nice years here. I've felt at home at heart, but I carry the profession inside me. Now I have a new opportunity, just like when I came here. I thought I should take it as a different sporting challenge,” Emery acknowledged.

Despite his departure, the Basque manager stressed that it is time to say goodbye to a united dressing room, with whom he has experienced great moments: “It's a difficult context for the players. Now I will say goodbye to them. It's a professional, mature dressing room and they will adapt to whatever comes. It's a united group. Another coach will come in with his message. They are professionals and they understand that.”

Finally, Emery predicted a bright future for Villarreal: “It's a great project and they have a great fan base behind them. They are going to enjoy a beautiful pitch and will continue to do great things in football. I'm leaving an exciting project, with options in LaLiga, the Copa del Rey and the UEFA Europa Conference League. Here I have been able to be me. They have given me great conditions to bring out my best version. I have felt at home, but now it is time to continue to have challenges outside.”

Villarreal president Fernando Roig thanked Unai Emery for his work and professionalism during his time at the helm of the Yellows: “We thank him for everything he has done with us. He has done a great job. With him, we have been champions of the Europa League and we have reached the semi-finals of the Champions League.”

Villarreal CEO Fernando Roig Negueroles acknowledged that Emery's departure is a setback, but stressed that the club is already working on a replacement: “It's caught us off guard, but it's something that football clubs live with. Emery is a great coach, but we are already working on finding the best solution.”

The most interesting quote is "Here I have been able to be me. They have given me great conditions to bring out my best version." I wonder if that is a slight dig at a previous job(s)? 

It also seems we acted fast, certainly with Villareal. Whether we were making noises before or not it is difficult to tell. 

Edited by cyrusr
Added comment
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Can I check, is there any Villa fan that is not happy with this?! It may be one of the first decisions that everyone agrees with!

I know one who preferred Poch and thought he was gettable, and one who preferred Thomas Frank.   

But even they are happy with Emery.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yep he'll be classed as a visitor so he's allowed to come to the country like a tourist, he's allowed to come to villa park, attend meetings and be at the game and meet all the players etc but he wont be able to work and its not worth taking the piss

he needs a skilled worker visa and i think he needs one before the club are legally allowed to pay him, as im finding out now he's also not allowed to live here until he has that visa, he can stay in a hotel but he cant rent a property (he can probably buy a house outright in cash but he cant get a mortgage)

And from my expertise gathered from watching hours of “Border Patrol”, even if the person isn’t getting paid it can still count as work and isn’t allowed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Obviously they won't advertise the fact, but he will definitely be involved. There is no law against him attending the match to 'watch'. 

No of course not, he can certainly watch. But that’s not what you said

22 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Does anyone speak Spanish?! Emery's leaving press conference with Villareal

Basically talks about Villarreal.

He is asked 'why Aston Villa?' and whether he has he learnt more of the language (and the language of the Peaky Blinders)... his response just says he wants to talk about Villarreal (respectfully).

Overall very respectful, to the press, to the club owners (Roig family).

Sounds like we moved quickly being as Emery spoke to the owners on Friday about the offer, then had a meeting on Monday, Monday evening made his decision.

Asked about whether taking over a club in 15th in PL is progress - his response is that each league, each club is different. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

The most interesting quote is "Here I have been able to be me. They have given me great conditions to bring out my best version." I wonder if that is a slight dig at a previous job(s)? 

It also seems we acted fast, certainly with Villareal. Whether we were making noises before or not it is difficult to tell. 

They acted fast indeed

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

In the press conference, it wasn't a dig - more a compliment at how Villarreal gave him the conditions to excel, eg, setting up a gym next to the training pitch and things like that.

• Thanks 1

Chatting to a Arsenal fan and he said it felt he didn’t really have a plan and they were also way too attacking. Leaked a lot of goals and just relied on Auba to bail them out. Now I wonder how much of that was in his remit after Wenger because I always saw Emery as a more defensively minded manager.  

Â