Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Can I be honest? I love this appointment. It’s the right appointment. I think he’s a quality manager. Best manager we have had in my Villa supporting life of about 20 years.

I also think he’s going to be sacked in 9 months time and we will all hate him by then. 

I have a similar fear. Our track record with non-British managers is not good and we've had very few of them: Venglos, Houllier, Di Matteo to my knowledge.

I think our support base can turn quickly and while I expect good things from Emery I can see it turning ugly quickly.

But that is a bigger reflection on us - the fans - than it is on Unai. I'm super excited about this appointment.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing is for sure, he has an eye for young talent. He gave Saka and ESR their senior debuts and signed the likes of Saliba and Martinelli at Arsenal. That alone really excites me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The biggest managerial name we have appointed as far as I can remember. We have had very good managers who became big with us, but I cant think of any who came in the door with a bigger CV than Emery.

Never had ones, with a bigger win% (in credible leagues), either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Granted I’ve not got a clue what’s going on here but i love seeing a hands on manager in training. Show me where the assistant does all the coaching etc and the manager does nothing in training  ( the Gerrard/Beale dynamic ) and I’ll show you a team that’s not going well. It just doesn’t happen. Newcastle are a reflection of Howe . Why ? He’s hands on. The last few seconds it looks like something to do with shape and holding a line. Interesting. 

Can’t be right, I kept reading in the Gerrard thread that modern managers don’t coach!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The biggest managerial name we have appointed as far as I can remember. We have had very good managers who became big with us, but I cant think of any who came in the door with a bigger CV than Emery.

Big Ron and MON where big names back when foreign appointments was a lot rarer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Can I be honest? I love this appointment. It’s the right appointment. I think he’s a quality manager. Best manager we have had in my Villa supporting life of about 20 years.

I also think he’s going to be sacked in 9 months time and we will all hate him by then. 

Look, chances are always higher a manager will fail than succeed. There are 18,500 football clubs in England - we are currently ranked 14th best. That’s lots of room to get worse and not much space to get better. But he has the CV for it, and it feels like a solid fit. Let’s hope.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I have a similar fear. Our track record with non-British managers is not good and we've had very few of them: Venglos, Houllier, Di Matteo to my knowledge.

I think our support base can turn quickly and while I expect good things from Emery I can see it turning ugly quickly.

But that is a bigger reflection on us - the fans - than it is on Unai. I'm super excited about this appointment.

To be fair our track record of managers in general is poor. In the last 20 years we've only had one that's widely regarded as having done a good job (Smith).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Look, chances are always higher a manager will fail than succeed. There are 18,500 football clubs in England - we are currently ranked 14th best. That’s lots of room to get worse and not much space to get better. But he has the CV for it, and it feels like a solid fit. Let’s hope.

Get out of here with your ridiculous logical, rationalised and positive conclusions. Clearly not a real Villan.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair our track record of managers in general is poor. In the last 20 years we've only had one that's widely regarded as having done a good job (Smith).

MON did a good job, at least on the pitch. Flouncing out and leaving the squad with ageing players and a high wage bill wasn't great but I think we would take 6th again.

DOL first season was good but it all tailed off in the late Doug era of penny pinching.

Everything bar Smith since has been cack.

Edited by The Fun Factory

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Made the same point before. Our list of managers makes me feel ill.

1 minute ago, Hornso said:

Give him time.

This. But sadly won’t happen. 

Edited by Spoony

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Impressive 

Enter Aston Villa

B)

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

It's incredible. I don't think we could have got anyone better.

Even if this doesn't go well, this is a really positive, well-thought out appointment.

Â