Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

29 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

He won't be. Not Hollywood enough for Purslow.

I just have this niggling feeling that Gerrard gets til the world cup break then when it's over we unveil Roberto Martinez.

After the World Cup many managers could become available. Martinez, Hjulmand, Southgate....

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Purslow wants glamour and it doesn't get less glamorous than Dyche. It would also be a disaster, of course.

Do you know what, I dont think it would be that bad. Dyche is a clever guy and he would like players like Buendia, Bailey he had players with similar attitudes and attributes at Burnley

It would be more if Dyche was tactically flexible to try become more attacking and get away from 4-4-2

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

He won't be. Not Hollywood enough for Purslow.

I just have this niggling feeling that Gerrard gets til the world cup break then when it's over we unveil Roberto Martinez.

Purslow did appoint Dean Smith to be fair to him, who wasn’t exactly a household name at the time, so I don’t think the Gerrard appointment is enough to say that Purslow only wants big names… Just my thoughts 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Just now, alreadyexists said:

What makes you think that Purslow only wants glamour? 

He has a huge ego and wants to be the guy that Sky or Talksport interviews when a Premier League voice is needed

Just now, Zatman said:

Do you know what, I dont think it would be that bad. Dyche is a clever guy and he would like players like Buendia, Bailey he had players with similar attitudes and attributes at Burnley

It would be more if Dyche was tactically flexible to try become more attacking and get away from 4-4-2

I don't think that much points towards Dyche being flexible, he's had many years to try different things. My guess is Dyche-ball is what he knows. The club could obviously take a chance on him being good at other ways of playing, but that would be a big gamble. 

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Purslow wants glamour and it doesn't get less glamorous than Dyche. It would also be a disaster, of course.

Dyche is a superior coach to Gerrard. Going for a glamour coach is the reason we are in this mess. Need someone less glamorous who can get the basics right.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

Dyche played a certain way at Burnley becasue his budget only allowed him to buy the best possible players to fit that system (Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes for example). He could not afford ball playing players that would be good enough to stay in the premier league. I have no doubt that Dyche with a big budget would buy a different player and play a different way.

I'm not advocating for him as our manager, but his track record shows he has strategic and tactical awareness. 

• Like 1

If we bring someone in within the next month, then it gives them time to settle into the surroundings and then have a mini preseason with the players during the WC. What is it a month or so without a game?

Unless things improve dramatically in the next four games (which I doubt), then we should be removing Gerrard after the Southampton game at the latest. Personally, we should be removing him this week.

Edited by ferguson1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I don't think that much points towards Dyche being flexible, he's had many years to try different things. My guess is Dyche-ball is what he knows. The club could obviously take a chance on him being good at other ways of playing, but that would be a big gamble. 

He couldn't afford these players at Burnley though. He signed Steven Defour who was running midfield for them until he had to leave

Just now, Zatman said:

He couldn't afford these players at Burnley though. He signed Steven Defour who was running midfield for them until he had to leave

We'll see, maybe he shocks people when he finally gets another job. I doubt it and Villa isn't the place for experiment now.

9 minutes ago, kevpants said:

Dyche played a certain way at Burnley becasue his budget only allowed him to buy the best possible players to fit that system (Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes for example). He could not afford ball playing players that would be good enough to stay in the premier league. I have no doubt that Dyche with a big budget would buy a different player and play a different way.

I'm not advocating for him as our manager, but his track record shows he has strategic and tactical awareness. 

I’d take him if it meant getting rid of Stevie G.

Plenty of clubs come up with no budget and play good football, many don't do anywhere near as well as Dyche did at Burnley in how long he kept them in the league.

But if he wanted to play better football, in the decade he managed and signed players there, he could have.

That's just his style of play, that's fine, but it's not for me at Villa.

Swansea, Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth (Howe), Hull (Silva), Brighton, Wigan (Martinez), Norwich have all come up or been in the league during Dyches run at Burnley and at least tried to play football, with less success but they did, Dyche could've played a different style of football if he wanted to.

Edited by HalfTimePost