Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

38 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The worst thing is they have a point.

I don't think they have a point. Villa is a bigger club and has more potential and money than Brighton. Any ambitious manager that doesn't have a personal connection with Brighton would leave them for us

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 3

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think they have a point. Villa is a bigger club and as more potential and money than Brighton. Any ambitious that doesn't have a personal connection with Brighton would leave them for us

But it would be taking a risk stepping into a club currently in some trouble when the season’s already started, destroying his legacy and all goodwill at Brighton. 

When instead he could stay this season and maybe one more at Brighton, then before pre-season starts take over some bigger club that is already in Europe. He’s not exactly in a hurry.

Hope I’m wrong obviously.

Funnily enough, part of me does think that Poch is more attainable than Potter so I’m not unsympathetic to the Brighton supporters view point.

But regardless whether we or Brighton supporters think Potter would be tempted, if the Villa board want to go for him, they will. Whether the convince him is another matter.

• Like 1

If given the chance, I think Potter comes here any day of the week.

Yes, Brighton are a better side than us currently, but then that’s the point, we’d hardly be interested in him if they were even worse than us.

We’re a significantly bigger club than Brighton with significantly more potential and seemingly significantly more funds and resources.

• Like 2

As much as this would be a risky move for Potter, and a difficult sell from us, I think a lot of Brighton fans are getting very carried away with their strong start to the season.

The last 3 seasons, both clubs have had similar finishes in the league, Brighton 6 pts ahead of us in two of them, us 14 pts ahead of them in 2020/21.

So it's hard to argue that Brighton are pulling ahead long-term.

What we have is more money, a bigger stadium, a bigger fanbase, more history, and despite what's happened under Gerrard, we are still by all accounts a well run club with excellent facilities which backs managers in the transfer market.

Also, with the exception of Grealish who went for a record fee, we haven't really been a selling club for a while now, whereas Brighton have continually moved on key players.

I think it's quite an attractive place for a manager of Potter's stature and record to come to. The issue will be trying to do this mid season while things are going well at Brighton. Would have been much easier to do in the summer.

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But it would be taking a risk stepping into a club currently in some trouble when the season’s already started, destroying his legacy and all goodwill at Brighton. 

When instead he could stay this season and maybe one more at Brighton, then before pre-season starts take over some bigger club that is already in Europe. He’s not exactly in a hurry.

Hope I’m wrong obviously.

Any change of job is a risk for anybody. If he is not prepared to take the risk of changing jobs I really wouldn't want as it shows a complete lack of balls. I would also disagree that we are currently a club in trouble. We have only played 4 games in the PL. If, as most people believe the reason we are not higher up the league is due to the manager and not the players then surely that suggests we are not in trouble?

• Like 1

I can’t see Poch coming here tbh..

We cannot provide him European football in the next two years. The teams that we should be challenging have strengthened remarkably in the past month..

Our recruitment plan has been poor, only good players we have signed has been Kamara and Carlos. But the recruitment plan seems to be all over the place.

He will have better options.

Potter could come but he would need some assurances on the long term strategy.

Are we recruiting players that can grow and be top level?
or

Are we just signing players that have the highest amount of International/Europa league caps..

The board need to figure out the project and sell that to that the next manager!

Edited by Reivax_Villa

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Funnily enough, part of me does think that Poch is more attainable than Potter so I’m not unsympathetic to the Brighton supporters view point.

But regardless whether we or Brighton supporters think Potter would be tempted, if the Villa board want to go for him, they will. Whether the convince him is another matter.

Also believe Poch would be more likely to accept. He’s probably bored and missing the league, so the club asking first could get him.

Until a much bigger club calls him that is, whenever that happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I can’t see Poch coming here tbh..

We cannot provide him European football in the next two years. The teams that we should be challenging have strengthened remarkably in the past month..

Our recruitment plan has been poor, only good players we have signed has been Kamara and Carlos. But the recruitment plan seems to be all over the place.

He will have better options.

Potter could come but he would need some assurances on the long term strategy.

Are we recruiting players that can grow and be top level?
or

Are we just signing players that have the highest amount of International/Europa league caps..

The board need to figure out the project and sell that to that the next manager!

I would hope any new manager would be able to influence strategy to fit with his/her footballing style

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Also believe Poch would be more likely to accept. He’s probably bored and missing the league, so the club asking first could get him.

Until a much bigger club calls him that is, whenever that happens.

I agree with that and also the bigger clubs look more stable with their current managers than they have in quite a long time. PSG have a new manager, Bayern have the right man for them and he is newish and young. Real Madrid just won the CL and the PL top 6 all look very happy with their managers. I know it is football and anything is possible but Poch could be waiting a long time for a big club to come calling

• Like 1

Just now, picicata said:

I think Poch is more likely than Potter

I get the feeling that Potter wouldn't leave Brighton mid season through loyalty. I could be completely wrong but if we were to get Potter I think it will be next summer. That said, it is very early in the season and he would leave Brighton with lots of time to find a replacement