Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He wouldn’t be my first choice but he’d be x10 better than Gerrard.

Hed get off to a good start, probably have a few good seasons and then would go stale like he’s currently doing at Leicester.

I think this is the cycle for most managerial reigns to be fair - not many can maintain the momentum year in, year out. Best to think of it in terms of a similar period to typical player contracts, 3 to 5 years being a reasonable period of tenure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

This maybe unfair on the guy but I think the clubs he has been at made him look better than he is. Liverpool threw away the league when our current manager was playing and it wasn't just because of the slip against Chelsea. He managed Celtic when Rangers were turfed out of the Scot Prem and he has gradually brought Leicester downward since joining. Yes, he won the FA cup but there is a lot of luck involved in winning a cup and he had a close to prime Vardy in his team who was scoring for fun

Rodgers massively bottled CL qualification twice with Leicester. His stock has been the same since. I think he hit a ceiling at every club.  

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 23:02, Tomaszk said:

Do you think if we hired Roy Keane we'd become tougher?

You can't kick players out of games any more. You need more than angrily telling players to run and kick more.

We actually look like there's too much going on in our player's heads! Too many instructions. So so rigid and unnatural in our stodgy play on the ball.

you are painting a stupid interpretation of aggression, intensity etc......Your suggestion is ridiculously wide of the mark.

Wimbledon has gone mate......but "being hard to beat" is another dimension all together....if you can't see it in other teams in this league, I can't help you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Hmm. That’s an interesting counterpoint, I don’t think they would massively pivot but I think they will go for ambitious name. Gerrard as name value and potential made sense at the time but it soured like milk. Potter would be an interesting name. But I think they won’t settle for stability and want tangible progress so it’s about hitting the ground running. The squad can do a lot better in a different system. 

Potter would be a much easier fit from a strategy and finance perspective and would fit in with current budgets. I think we are paying SG about 5m a year, I don't believe we would have anywhere near 12m+ in our budget for a new manager's salary. As I am sure u know, budgets get approved and signed off and cannot easily be changed. Very often it is impossible to change a budget by any meaningful amount. For us to get Poch, I think Purslow would need to go to NSWE and say 'Hey guys, u know that budget u approved, the one I said was set in stone, well, guess what, I now want to change it'. That is a very difficult conversation for a CEO to have, particularly when he was the one pushing for SG

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What compensation? He's unemployed isn't he?

When he left PSG, they didn't just write him a cheque for 10m or whatever the compensation was. They pay it in instalments and it is normal that the manager must stay unemployed to continue to receive the payments. So for the manager to take a job he would be giving up these payments and it is normal to negotiate with the new club to pay these to him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Rodgers has a ceiling. And he's supernaturally unlikeable. But his ceiling is so far above where we are now that ceiling may as be on the other side of the universe.

I couldn't quite explain why I don't want BR but that is a damn good start

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Potter would be a much easier fit from a strategy and finance perspective and would fit in with current budgets. I think we are paying SG about 5m a year, I don't believe we would have anywhere near 12m+ in our budget for a new manager's salary. As I am sure u know, budgets get approved and signed off and cannot easily be changed. Very often it is impossible to change a budget by any meaningful amount. For us to get Poch, I think Purslow would need to go to NSWE and say 'Hey guys, u know that budget u approved, the one I said was set in stone, well, guess what, I now want to change it'. That is a very difficult conversation for a CEO to have, particularly when he was the one pushing for SG

Great points.

But I do think with the pressure on NSWE to bring a big name manager in from the fans - they would be the ones to do it. 

Edited by trillvillan
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Rodgers massively bottled CL qualification twice with Leicester. His stock has been the same since. I think he hit a ceiling at every club.  

I had forgotten about the 2 bottle jobs for CL. So that is bottling at Leicester and Liverpool. Even more reason for me not to like him

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Leicester's ceiling was way below 4th. He did well to even get them to a point where they could bottle CL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Can’t see Potter jumping ship, Poch will want a mountain of cash

It will be Rodgers.

I agree with Potter not jumping ship, I agree with Poch wanting a mountain of cash but think we have the cash to pay him but have we the appetite. I hate the thought of Rodgers as Villa manager

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with Potter not jumping ship, I agree with Poch wanting a mountain of cash but think we have the cash to pay him but have we the appetite. I hate the thought of Rodgers as Villa manager

Rodgers is someone I can imagine Purslow raving about.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Would be a dream job for Potter surely and a project that's perfect for him. That and the money would be pretty tempting you'd think?

Brighton are currently far more stable than us unfortunately, we must look like a shambles from the outside.

I think potter would take the villa job if offered but Brighton would put up stiff resistance and it would be messy - look at the fight over ash worth going to Newcastle and him being forced on gardening leave for months - poch I think may be interested but would probably leave should a top job come up - I think it will be potter but would take rodgers  if need be .

49 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

Great points.

But I do think with the pressure on NSWE to bring a big name manager in from the fans - they would be the ones to do it. 

Premier League owners run clubs as businesses - they don’t throw money around based on what fans want. Dans being happy is completely irrelevant in the board room. Even for owners as likeable as NSWE.

53 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

When he left PSG, they didn't just write him a cheque for 10m or whatever the compensation was. They pay it in instalments and it is normal that the manager must stay unemployed to continue to receive the payments. So for the manager to take a job he would be giving up these payments and it is normal to negotiate with the new club to pay these to him

So, they can cancel his contract, without his agreeing, and if he gets another job he receives no compensation for the original breaking of contract?

Riiiiiiiight.