Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, sne said:

Guess the more you liked Gerrard the more hopeless you'll think the job is and the worse you'll think the squad is.

Yep that’s what I’m seeing reading some of the posts today….pretty bizarre!

Just now, nick76 said:

Can't say I'm surprised. Will be the same once we get a new manager in and don't instantly play fantastic football.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Depends what you think worth his salt means.

We aren’t close to winning trophies, I never thought we were but we will be attractive to some quality managers.  I have no delusions of grandeur but obviously we are better than what Gerrard was offering us.  We are a team between 8th and 11th level with the squad we have yet under SG we played like a team trying to avoid relegation. 

I think we will be desired by top managers, just not by elite managers obviously like I said in the above post of mine.

I think we have some players, capable of presiding over 8th - 10th and bunch, that are not.....I am not as convinced as you appear to be, in some of the players.

I think this next move, is critical for us, and I am waiting for the outcome with trepidation.

I am not expecting, to be pleased with the outcome.....but, I have no alternative, but to get behind them.

PS  I genuinely can't be bothered to go today, just contemplating.

I think the owners still have high ambitions for the club, I think the new North Stand, Inner City academy and overseas link up clubs point to that. I think they will want someone to come in who will give us hope and excitement. Dyche would be the equivalent of Lerner appointing McLeish.

To be honest I hope the people making the decision are far more informed than I am and make the right decision. I think the team needs some refreshing and also some confidence restored. For now we need someone who can get them playing to their strengths, as that will help the confidence. I don’t think the players fully believed in Gerrards system, so he should have reverted to something they were comfortable with until he had the right players in place to change it up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daft said:

We have had lots with PL experience, that is not the issue. Yes it is a good league with passionate fans and media, but we need a good manager, regardless of where he plied hi ls trade before. Someone with passion,  flexibility and tactical understanding. I don't really care if he hasanaged in the PL before. It's just a soup of nepotistic vultures jumping between clubs anyway. We need to change the tune, and if our execs can't do it, they need to get help or get out.

my point is, if we think its just a cometic fix, and that a few tactical moves, will fix it.....I think we are wrong.

I think there is more behind the scenes wrong, than we think......thats just my gut feel.

This team has no substance to it, in most games.

I have always believed in most performance related situations, there are highs and lows...and consistency is a barometer, to measure the distance between the 2

When the lows are too low......The danger, is on alert.

Thats where, I think, we are....and I think we need to factor that in, when choosing the next manager, this job, is not for the faint hearted.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I disagree. I don't much like Gerrard,  but I have a feeling our squad as a whole is vastly overrated by us in general. As Villans, I do think they have it all to prove still. 

I am however humble enough to realise this is just a theory, and I might be wrong. And I can promise you I won't expect instant results from a new guy in order to dismiss my fears. 

I just think it is something we should keep an eye on, that's all. 

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

my point is, if we think its just a cometic fix, and that a few tactical moves, will fix it.....I think we are wrong.

I think there is more behind the scenes wrong, than we think......thats just my gut feel.

This team has no substance to it, in most games.

Agreed. We need to work all angles now, not just the manager one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

As the hiring club,ow do you gauge expertise? Experience seems a pretty good metric. A major reason why Gerrard was such a disaster was because he didn't have the requisite experience.

Well ideally you’d have a rigorous interviewing process with a clearly defined set of skills and cultural indicators in place in terms of what our expectations of a good candidate is.

Even the best interviewing processes can let you down at times but it’s better than just basing it off years’ experience or having a big name. 

Gerrard wasn’t such a disaster because he didn’t have the requisite experience, he was a disaster because he made mistakes. Now granted, you do learn from mistakes sometimes and he may come back a better manager for it in the future but there are folks out there who don’t make those mistakes in the first place because their ability is so high.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Guess the more you liked Gerrard the more hopeless you'll think the job is and the worse you'll think the squad is.

My posts keep getting disregarded that you don't have to be Man U to be higher up the table, look at Bournemouth and Brentford. We have a better team than them surely and find ourselves down there with the shite. This is due to one thing. Gerrard and poor coaching.

Hassenhutil, Dyche?? If you think that is our level, an our billionaires owners are going to employ those type of managers, you need give your head a wobble!!

Weather we feel we we can get it or not, the owners want SUCCESS!!

Heads have rolled over this Gerrard appointment believe me!!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I’m, frankly, flabbergasted some are ready to hit the emergency ‘stay up pragmatically’ button when looking at an appointment. 

This isn’t a team circling the drain. This isn’t panic stations, at least it isn’t in my eyes. There’s a team that had a woeful back end to last season and still ended up 10 points above the drop. There’s a team that has spent the last 11 months perhaps not being coached to the right standard and down on their luck. There’s a team who, in my opinion, are capable easily of mid-table. 

We don’t need to steady the ship, we just need someone capable of steering the bloody thing. One of the main things I heard and read before Gerrard went was how boring we were to watch. Some in this thread fancy a little more paint drying on a Saturday afternoon. This is an ideal project for someone who should, with relative ease, keep us up this year and then push on. 

Perhaps the likes of Emery won’t want it. That’s fine. Maybe Amorim is too expensive. OK. If we’re looking at home let’s see if Rodgers fancies it. Absolutely anything other than dull, negative anti-football when that’s not what we need right now. 

Well i think there is some panic when you see teams like forest beating liverpool while we are hopelessly getting battered by fulham

2 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

PL experience is not needed in my opinion, we just absolutely need a manager who can coach a team and knows a bit about tactics to set us up to our strengths and build from there. Gerrard absolutely had none of these qualities in my opinion.

Setup and tactics are everything in the game this day and age!

Absolutely agree but there is a problem with this.I think Dean had this problem too and its one of the reasons he got fired so fast. Small names cant attract players like Coutinho or Carlos. This is one of the reasons we hired Gerrard big name who can get us players.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair 

I'm looking at both sides of the spectrum and their are some good points.

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with " liking " Gerrard.

There are some posters who have genuinely thought alot of the players ( Minus Jack , ), as well as a " culture " at the club have been worringly " not good enough " since Dean Smith was here.

I trust the board to get the appointment right in theory, but truth is we don't know what happens behind the scenes.

What are our finances like? Who is available? Plus many other technicalities us as fans probably have no idea about 

It's fine being ambitious but our choices have to want to come, similarly to how it is with players. You can have all the money in the world, and sell a " project" to a top player and they might still not want to come.

The swifter the appointment, the less anxiety I'll feel.

I think a good performance today would also probably go a good way in settling some people down.

Although, I'd probably rather wait, than sign the wrong Manager, again, today will probably have alot of say in all that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

There’s another parameter as well. Look ManC. They have probably the tactically most competent manager in the world and lime two squads of extremely skilled footballers. These footballers aren't just equipped with physical skills,they are mostly also world class tactically. Both in understanding their managers instructions but also when to go outside the frames he lays down.

That is much harder to quantify, and if you have a bunch of tactically inept players, you need to take that into account when appointing a new manager.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

Absolutely agree but there is a problem with this.I think Dean had this problem too and its one of the reasons he got fired so fast. Small names cant attract players like Coutinho or Carlos. This is one of the reasons we hired Gerrard big name who can get us players.

I would agree with that too, but I think or at least hope the next appointment would have those qualities alongside being a bigger name than Deano was or will be.

Edited by leighavfc

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Mancini on verge of resigning as italy manager according to reports.

Surely he is worth talking to? He is a winner and would attract big names to the club

Hmm what interesting timing 🤔

Would be one hell of a coup

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well i think there is some panic when you see teams like forest beating liverpool while we are hopelessly getting battered by fulham

I get you, but that is a one off. It's like basing our future performances on the fact that we currently account for 50% of Manchester City's draws this season, arguably the best team in world football currently. It feels bad, I know, but it's not reality quite yet.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Gerrard being shit and the current squad not being good can both be true. I'm not saying that's my opinion, but I do think it's very imbalanced, and a poor manager was unable to see that or navigate his way around the issue.

• Like 3