Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

45 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Genuine question to those who want Rodgers. What makes you think we'll get the Rodgers who was historically successful, and not the Rodgers who is imploding at Leicester? 

Because the one imploding at leicester wasnt backed.

Rodgers style of football suits us so i can ser the appeal. Defence is a worry but then look faets he has been class for them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Wasn't he supposedly the 'brains' behind the strategy? If there is no strategy that's at least partly his fault, no? As is the fact that we've played a daft narrow type of football that has lead us to sell off almost all of our wingers. 

F**k off Beale. 

Agree. A preview of how Beale will behave when results go south at QPR. Blame anyone but himself. That kind of character is poisonous.. We are well rid.

12 minutes ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

Taking no responsibility for that then beale?? You were here at the time you melt

• Like 4

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Rodgers style of football suits us so i can ser the appeal. Defence is a worry but then look faets he has been class for them

Playing devil's advocate here (don't shoot me), but isn't one man's 'wasn't backed' another man's 'chequebook manager'? 

We've been using an ability to be successful with limited means (a'la Frank and.....sigh Dyche) as a reason for consideration. Is the opposite not a reason to discount? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

True. I have been Rodgers in for years. But we have had some Leicester fans come on here telling us he is to be avoided right now. I wish we had listened to Rangers fans more last year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

I agree but wasn’t he part of the management team that were involved in the recruitment? Didn’t Gerrard say he was having more involvement in the transfers and he was Gerrards right hand man?

Either way, if that’s coming from someone who was on the inside and got out, we’re f**ked. Survival is now the aim for this season and an overhaul of how we’re run. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WHY said:

I think he is right about this though. Still not sure what Lange does. Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to have any tangible benefits.

An older article, but still interesting if you like tactical analysis.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/ruben-amorim-sporting-cp

Amorim favours, almost exclusively, a 3-4-3 system with a lot of fluid movement in the attacking phase. Indeed, so far this season Sporting have used this system 83% of the time with the other 17% spent in a 3-4-1-2 variant.

He is a coach who has elements of positional play within his game model with the tendency to create overloads in the half-spaces and build-up through vertical passes that find players in pockets of space within the opposition defensive structure. In the defensive phase Amorim likes to counter press and then move aggressively to win the ball back as close to the opposition goal as he can.

A quick look at the statistics at the time of writing further displays this. Sporting CP currently sit at the top of the table and are averaging 2.6 goals per 90 minutes. This is no surprise given the fact that they are averaging 13.03 shots per 90 and 17.45 touches in the opposition area per 90. In terms of their tendencies in possession they are averaging 427.63 passes per 90 but 65.47 of these are listed as progressive passes. In the defensive phase they have a PPDA (passes per defensive action) of 8.14 and are known as a side that will press aggressively when out of possession.

• Like 1

I thought we had a strategy where we were buying young and hungry players and gradually trying to get better and better ones over time like a lot of successful European clubs do, then ripped it up especially for Gerrard to sign players with no sell-on value for some unknown reason.

Anyway, Gallardo interests me the most but we could do without having to hang around for him.

• Like 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I thought we had a strategy where we were buying young and hungry players and gradually trying to get better and better ones over time like a lot of successful European clubs do, then ripped it up especially for Gerrard to sign players with no sell-on value for some unknown reason.

Anyway, Gallardo interests me the most but we could do without having to hang around for him.

Yeah, in effect not only were Beale and Gerrard responsible for the lack of development strategy, they were also the REASON for it. 

• Like 3