Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Harsh.  He hasn't been here long enough, missed pre-season, and was thrown into coaching Gerrard's shit system.  I'd give him the benefit of the doubt unless the new manager wants rid.

He hasn't been here long, but I think we just need a complete clear out and reset. You're right though, if the manager wants to keep him then that's different, but my minimum expectation is McAllister, MacPhee and Danks are all shown the door. Everyone of them was part of the problem last night, looking completely clueless on the bench as we were being torn apart by a newly promoted team.

whilst the board do have to get this decision right, i also feel that it's near enough impossible to get this decision wrong. i firmly believe that the worst managers in my lifetime such as mcleish and garde would've done better than gerrard with this squad

i'd love an elite manager such as poch or emery, but i genuinely wouldn't mind someone like dyche at this point. he won't take us into europe, but he'd be a safe pair of hands

3 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

surprised about crichley. whilst he was gerrard's man, i would've thought he'd be our caretaker for sunday. who's gonna be in charge then? danks? cutler?

edit: just seen it's danks

Edited by tomav84

3 minutes ago, daft said:

Brentford does have a very specific philosophy I feel, one that might suit Frank and obviously appeals to him. Maybe it's just PR bollox and a way to try and stand out, but still. 

But they sell their players for big bucks and we have benefitted from their philosophy - better thinking than appointing Stevie G 

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

surprised about crichley. whilst he was gerrard's man, i would've thought he'd be our caretaker for sunday. who's gonna be in charge then? danks? cutler?

The new manager.

I think we can forget about Poch, seems like Emery is the most likely option now.

He's had good success with Sevilla especially, showed at times promise with Arsenal at a difficult time and of course won the Europa League with Villareal.

It would be very interesting to get him here, he's incredibly detailed as a manager - the complete antithesis to Gerrard for example.

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It would be nice if we hired someone who isn’t so reliant on the coaches around them. I don’t dispute the importance of having good assistants but it’s felt like our last three managers relied more on their assistants than they did their own skills and abilities.

This is a great point.
I think you need to be able to have a very solid understanding of coaching to be a top manager. If things aren't going well, you need to be able to understand why, and to understand how you might be able to change it based on coaching experience and your qualifications. If you don't, and I'm convinced Gerrard didn't, you'll just be relying on others all the time. I don't think that's healthy. 

FWIW, I don't think Poch will come here, nor do I think Emery will seeing as he turned Newcastle down who were in a similar position to us with boundless spending capacity. It'll be someone like Frank or Rodgers. Underwhelming, I know, but we have to accept that we're not an attractive proposition to some. Money does talk though, and our next hire can't be because they are happy to come here on the cheap. We need to be willing to pay the best candidate whatever he wants to come and do the job he wants to do. See Conte and Spurs. 

Just now, Jareth said:

But they sell their players for big bucks and we have benefitted from their philosophy - better thinking than appointing Stevie G 

Indeed, but if Frank wants or heaven forbids needs a similar set-up, it might take a while. Stil, I like Frank on paper and for what he's done at Brentford.

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

Same, they paid a lot of money for him, for an assistant coach.  Missing pre-season didn't help and the best coach in the world would struggle to get Gerrard's system working.