Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Absolutely critical appointment whoever comes next. 

Players like Martinez, Kamara won’t hang around in the summer if we have another relegation threatened season. 

Poch would be someone that could ignite the place and make everyone believe again. 

• Like 3

People saying poch wont come look at this squad big international players like martinez buendia coutinho digne. Add the likes of bailey mcginn, kamara and carlos when the latter return. In paper thats a impressive collection of international players.

Poch would have ambitious owners, money and a squad with massive potential. All he would have to do is get a top ten finish this year and the fans would all be 100% behind him. Hell even if he gets us playing football and delivering results or making us competitive would win us over.

• Like 2

When slippy came in the Villa job was touted by everyone as a golden opportunity for a manager to come to a club with huge ambition, money and a squad of talented players - there would be interest in it from every available manager out there. What's happened since is a flat line of performances and points, yet a more talented squad - Kamara, Digne, Carlos need we go on. And for the new man, there will be a winter transfer window which TBH is hardly needed, it ain't the squad that's broke. Poch would be interested in that, but so too many talented coaches.

Let's get them in before the world cup, there's work to do.

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'll try to give you a detailed response. I'll skip over his Southampton stint too, which was impressive in its own right.Long story short though, he turned a Spurs team who were sliding out of European contention with the loss of Gareth Bale and some poor replacements into a genuine force in the league. What he did at Spurs is genuinely remarkable.

This was their squad in his first season. This is after he made some signings by the way. It was a bloated and unbalanced mess. I would say Vertonghen and Lloris were the only CL quality players in there.

image.thumb.png.a1db97ced87b68f20d046c048aa7a9ce.png

His signings that season were (for 45m Euros):

Ben Davies and Michel Vorm in exchange for Sigurdsson

Frederico Fazio

Dele Alli (loaned back to MK Dons for the remainder of the season)

Benjamin Stambouli

Eric Dier

DeAndre Yedlin

Their main striker at the time was Roberto Soldado who they had paid 30m for (which was a LOT in 2013), and he couldn't hit a barn door. This led Pochettino to slowly blood in a 21 year old Harry Kane in the cup competitions (League Cup and Europa League) where he was scoring for fun. He gave him his first PL start against, you guessed it, Aston Villa where he scored a very late winner, and the rest as they as was history.

That was a running theme in his time at Spurs though, bringing through and developing young players. Under his tutelage, Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen in particular developed into genuinely world class players and Dele Alli was once on the cusp of such form as well. Danny Rose went from being not good enough for Spurs and loaned out, to genuinely the best LB in the league. Heung-Min Son, Erik Dier, Erik Lamela became very good PL players in their own right.

In his first season they finished a respectable 5th, with this as their most used starting XI. The seeds were already being sown, and there were glimpses of what was to come, though the squad was still very deficient, as you'll see below.

image.png.1844e31ac1e4ffc9bd14338d297ade2c.png

2015/16 is when it all started to come together. He made some very key signings that summer with Heung-Min Son coming in for 30m Euros as well as Toby Alderweireld snubbing Southampton in favour of Spurs. He'd go on to form the most solid defensive partnership in the league imo with Jan Vertonghen. Another key signing was Kieran Trippier from Burnley for about 5m Euros, to give some genuine depth at RB. Dele Alli also joined up with Spurs for the first time that season and he became an instant sensation. Erik Dier also emerged as a very competent defensive midfielder and formed a solid partnership with Moussa Dembele who found a new lease of life under Pochettino. All of a sudden, Spurs were looking quite strong and they were playing some breathtaking football at times. They ended up being genuine title contenders and pushed eventual winners Leicester City (still feels funny typing that), to the last few weeks. Remarkably, they actually finished 3rd in the end after Arsenal made a late surge in the end of the season, and soundly beating us 4-0 in our last PL game for 3 years. 

In just 2 short seasons and a comparatively modest spend, Pochettino turned Spurs from a team sliding towards midtable, to genuine contenders. And it got even better! The 2016/17 season would prove to be their best yet (and perhaps their best season for about 30 years? They still haven't topped it). That season they actually finished 2nd, with a whopping 86 points. They went unbeaten in what would turn out to be the final season at White Hart Lane, and had a +60 goal difference. In my opinion, second only to Liverpool in 2020/21, they were the best ever runners-up I've ever seen in the PL. They also played my favourite brand of football that I've watched in the PL. It was truly exhilarating to watch. They were the youngest team in the league and they played a very energetic high-pressing style of football that we saw his Southampton team play as well, but it worked so much better with the younger (and more talented) squad. And it was all down to the coaching, and notably done without breaking the bank which their contemporaries at the top of the league weren't shy of doing.

The next couple of seasons would see Spurs slow down a bit as they famously went 18 months without signing a single player. Despite this, they still finished 3rd and 4th respectively (something they used to stretch every muscle to try to achieve before Poch, and only achieved twice in 10 years, one of which didn't even result in CL football. They were now doing it in their "down years"), and most notably got to a CL final in 2018/19. A remarkable feat in my opinion. The wheels started to come off when Moussa Dembele left that January and their failure to replace him. With the lack of investment, things got stale, players (and coach it seemed) lost belief in what the club was doing and results suffered until he was sacked. Not too dissimilar from what we're seeing at Leicester to be honest. But make no mistake, the club's rise from perennial Europa League team and occasional CL threateners, to genuine title contenders was down to his work. It even led them to having the gall to try to join that Super League. It would never have happened without the Poch years. 

Thanks for having the time and inclination to prove my original point. I suspect it will be lost on some though....

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Thanks for putting that together. His time at Southampton was superb too. He got them really punching above their weight.

It's so weird how Levy just turned the taps off on Poch.

I don't know, but wasn't it a case of him having a bit of a hard on for Mourinho? 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Had to be poch. Promise him whatever the hell he wants.

If they recruited poch all the fans would be heading down villa park on his arrival like when o neill was appointed. 

We need that level of a boost manager to lift the whole club

I agree. However, have we ever been able to sign this caliber of manager whilst in the PL? Since MON left, it feels like we've been skipping from 'hopeful prospect' to 'proven shit' to 'maybe someday will amount to something possibly'? I might be overly harsh here, but can we sign someone like Poch? 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

People thinking we have a shot of getting Poch reminds me of when we were loosely linked with Ancelotti many years ago and ended up with McLeish. Expect to be disappointed. 

Everton managed to get Ancelotti, so I'm not sure why we can't have a good go at getting Pochettino.

It'll probably cost a boat load of money to get him, but it's cheaper than getting relegated.

I swear if anyone mentions Big f**king Sam or Sean f**king Dyche from this point onward, I am going to learn how to code, then learn how to hack and freaking eviscerate VillaTalk.

• Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

I swear if anyone mentions Big f**king Sam or Sean f**king Dyche from this point onward, I am going to learn how to code, then learn how to hack and freaking eviscerate VillaTalk.

How about Allardyce or Dyche?

edit: just motivating you to learn a new skill 😉😂

• Haha 4

Before this season started, the Villa job was probably close to top 20 of manager jobs in Europe. It's a Premier League club, the league where everyone want to be currently for financial reasons, we have rich owners willing to spend and a decent squad to begin with. Lots of room for quick improvement. Negative: currently not in European competition.

Pochettino's family lives in London which is part of the reason he was unhappy at PSG. He wants a job in the Prem and it doesn't look like any of the big 6 clubs will change manager soon. Villa could be a good stop-gap for him at least.

But at this point things look worse. Few managers want to be fire fighters.

New man walks in tomorrow, they've got a world class GK, functioning defence due a massive upgrade in Carlos, then talented options everywhere else to play however they want - it's a great situation to walk into. It's not even as though the morale is rock bottom, so I don't think this is going to be a case of fire fighting, it can be turned around by an 'experienced' manager.

Edited by Jareth

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'll try to give you a detailed response. I'll skip over his Southampton stint too, which was impressive in its own right.Long story short though, he turned a Spurs team who were sliding out of European contention with the loss of Gareth Bale and some poor replacements into a genuine force in the league. What he did at Spurs is genuinely remarkable.

This was their squad in his first season. This is after he made some signings by the way. It was a bloated and unbalanced mess. I would say Vertonghen and Lloris were the only CL quality players in there.

image.thumb.png.a1db97ced87b68f20d046c048aa7a9ce.png

His signings that season were (for 45m Euros):

Ben Davies and Michel Vorm in exchange for Sigurdsson

Frederico Fazio

Dele Alli (loaned back to MK Dons for the remainder of the season)

Benjamin Stambouli

Eric Dier

DeAndre Yedlin

Their main striker at the time was Roberto Soldado who they had paid 30m for (which was a LOT in 2013), and he couldn't hit a barn door. This led Pochettino to slowly blood in a 21 year old Harry Kane in the cup competitions (League Cup and Europa League) where he was scoring for fun. He gave him his first PL start against, you guessed it, Aston Villa where he scored a very late winner, and the rest as they as was history.

That was a running theme in his time at Spurs though, bringing through and developing young players. Under his tutelage, Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen in particular developed into genuinely world class players and Dele Alli was once on the cusp of such form as well. Danny Rose went from being not good enough for Spurs and loaned out, to genuinely the best LB in the league. Heung-Min Son, Erik Dier, Erik Lamela became very good PL players in their own right.

In his first season they finished a respectable 5th, with this as their most used starting XI. The seeds were already being sown, and there were glimpses of what was to come, though the squad was still very deficient, as you'll see below.

image.png.1844e31ac1e4ffc9bd14338d297ade2c.png

2015/16 is when it all started to come together. He made some very key signings that summer with Heung-Min Son coming in for 30m Euros as well as Toby Alderweireld snubbing Southampton in favour of Spurs. He'd go on to form the most solid defensive partnership in the league imo with Jan Vertonghen. Another key signing was Kieran Trippier from Burnley for about 5m Euros, to give some genuine depth at RB. Dele Alli also joined up with Spurs for the first time that season and he became an instant sensation. Erik Dier also emerged as a very competent defensive midfielder and formed a solid partnership with Moussa Dembele who found a new lease of life under Pochettino. All of a sudden, Spurs were looking quite strong and they were playing some breathtaking football at times. They ended up being genuine title contenders and pushed eventual winners Leicester City (still feels funny typing that), to the last few weeks. Remarkably, they actually finished 3rd in the end after Arsenal made a late surge in the end of the season, and soundly beating us 4-0 in our last PL game for 3 years. 

In just 2 short seasons and a comparatively modest spend, Pochettino turned Spurs from a team sliding towards midtable, to genuine contenders. And it got even better! The 2016/17 season would prove to be their best yet (and perhaps their best season for about 30 years? They still haven't topped it). That season they actually finished 2nd, with a whopping 86 points. They went unbeaten in what would turn out to be the final season at White Hart Lane, and had a +60 goal difference. In my opinion, second only to Liverpool in 2020/21, they were the best ever runners-up I've ever seen in the PL. They also played my favourite brand of football that I've watched in the PL. It was truly exhilarating to watch. They were the youngest team in the league and they played a very energetic high-pressing style of football that we saw his Southampton team play as well, but it worked so much better with the younger (and more talented) squad. And it was all down to the coaching, and notably done without breaking the bank which their contemporaries at the top of the league weren't shy of doing.

The next couple of seasons would see Spurs slow down a bit as they famously went 18 months without signing a single player. Despite this, they still finished 3rd and 4th respectively (something they used to stretch every muscle to try to achieve before Poch, and only achieved twice in 10 years, one of which didn't even result in CL football. They were now doing it in their "down years"), and most notably got to a CL final in 2018/19. A remarkable feat in my opinion. The wheels started to come off when Moussa Dembele left that January and their failure to replace him. With the lack of investment, things got stale, players (and coach it seemed) lost belief in what the club was doing and results suffered until he was sacked. Not too dissimilar from what we're seeing at Leicester to be honest. But make no mistake, the club's rise from perennial Europa League team and occasional CL threateners, to genuine title contenders was down to his work. It even led them to having the gall to try to join that Super League. It would never have happened without the Poch years. 

This is a great write up, would love Poch but could we get him?  He was on quite a hefty salary at PSG.