Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh you mean the time when we had a owner who was making cuts, gave up on us and wanted out? Not our current owners who are hungry and want success ?

To be fair to the OP, it's a reasonable point for us to be cautious over the next appointment, given the evidence in front us of what an utter disaster this needlessly risky appointment has been.

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Some other names I’d consider as a replacement other than Poch:

Ruben Amorim

Urs Fischer (Amazing job with Union Berlin)

Bo Svensson

Ruben Amorim would be an incredible coup!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Ruben Amorim would be an incredible coup!

Definitely, will have a lot of competition for him though. It’ll be a now or never move, I have a feeling the board will favour Unai. Not got a problem with Unai though I just think I’d be more intrigued by Amorim

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Definitely, will have a lot of competition for him though. It’ll be a now or never move, I have a feeling the board will favour Unai. Not got a problem with Unai though I just think I’d be more intrigued by Amorim

Man to replace Gerrard!

• Like 1

If the board believes Gerrard will get Champions League eventually then he is staying for the long haul. If they think Premiership survival is where it’s at then he’s still staying for the long term. 

I’ve resigned myself to Gerrard Pragma Ball and the fact we won’t be winning any cups or moving to the top half for a few years yet.

I think the wider issue and where the blame ultimately lies is with the poor performance of the CEO, Christian Purslow. 

Sacking Smith wasn’t just about getting rid of the manager, it was effectively ripping up the project we’d been working on up until that point. Previously, the club had made a big deal about implementing a philosophy and playing style that was to be at all levels - from the academies up. 

The point of it all, or as far as I could tell, was to be more like Brentford - a club that is designed to continue on regardless of losing a manager or important player, as there are clearly defined roles for playing and non-playing staff with a strong recruitment team to back it up. The idea is to have personnel options identified and ready to go, to make any transition relatively painless. The philosophy remains the same and you react accordingly having been well prepared to do so. 

So with that in mind, what did Purslow do when he sacked Smith? Hired a completely different manager who only knew and used one different style and, perhaps more crucially, a style that did not fit the squad he would inherit. 

Since that time, the results and performances at all levels of the club have got gradually worse. We all know how badly the first team has played but our U21 side, for example, has gone from being a serious outfit at that level to 1 win in the 6 games played so far and 14 points off the top of their table.

From a less tangible perspective, the connection between the club and the fans feels incredibly weak too. It was very rough losing Grealish but the faith was more or less kept because we still had Smith and still had our belief in the project. What do we have now? A disgruntled, depressed and disillusioned fanbase who can’t really see what we’re attempting to do, let alone how we progress from here. 

To say we have lost our way since Purslow sacked Smith feels like an understatement. Leadership comes from the top and the CEO is doing a terrible job. If I were NSWE, Purslow would be on just as thin ice as Gerrard right now. He has a lot to do to prove that he’s worthy of the position. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I have faith they will.  They need to get this appointment right, no point sacking Gerrard with nobody lined up.  

I'd much rather have a caretaker in charge than Steven. Let the players feel alive again.

Just now, Tom13 said:

I'd much rather have a caretaker in charge than Steven. Let the players feel alive again.

That might be beneficial in the short term, but it might rush them into signing a manager who's also not right.  I'd rather they take their time, and get it right this time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joshharris12 said:

Getting relegated imo 

Highly unlikely. But the fact that it's even being fretted about is an indictment on the manager, Lange, Purslow and NSWE. And frankly, the players too, who must also shoulder some of the blame. 

Round and round we go.