Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I'm not on board with Potter at all. 

Don't think he's done enough (yet) at the top level for a job as big and demanding as the Villa one. 

It is impressive how he's got them flying out the blocks this season, mind.  Particularly with the loss of Bissouma, Cucurella and Maupay.  That's the sort of thing directors of football and the money men in charge like. 

Rodgers has much more pedigree at this level. But probably needs a bit of a break after the last few months there.  A chance to top up the tan, polish the false teeth and come back revived. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm willing to let Gerrard grind out some results in the coming two games, but then I want a proper manager in. Preferably Potter.

Thats very decent of you , sure Potter will drop out the top 4 with a team he's took years to build so he can steer us out of a relegation battle and then get sacked after a few losses.

Potter may come if we can get to the summer and still be in the premier League , this season is Potters chance to push Brighton into Europe , if he does he will stay there and if he doesn't and his best players get sold again he may choose to move.

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Personally think 3 keeps him in the job under Purslow. 

Cool, cause 3 will keep us bottom 3 for a good while.

Gerrard is not our future, the quicker he goes the more chance we have of finishing top 10.

It shocks me the Man City result changed so many peoples views.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

Good point against Man City.  Not sure what Gerrard changed to make the team perform better, or whether it was lucky or better tactics or individual skill or the opposition not being as good as they should have been.  

Either way, Leicester and Southampton are the real tests for Gerrard. He absolutely has to win against Leicester to stay in the job and buy himself another game. Then he has to win or at least draw against Southampton to show that he is moving the team in the right direction.  

He’s so far behind the curve when you look at the stats of the last 15 or 20 games, really he’ll need to go on a winning run at some point if he’s going to last until the World Cup break. 

Whether he beats Leicester and draws against Soton, or vice versa, I would agree, we need at least 4 points from 6. In a sense, we're in the same position we would have been if we had lost to City. Those two matches are absolutely crucial. And not just the results, but on whether his tactics make sense.

5 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

I'm not on board with Potter at all. 

Don't think he's done enough (yet) at the top level for a job as big and demanding as the Villa one. 

It is impressive how he's got them flying out the blocks this season, mind.  Particularly with the loss of Bissouma, Cucurella and Maupay.  That's the sort of thing directors of football and the money men in charge like. 

Rodgers has much more pedigree at this level. But probably needs a bit of a break after the last few months there.  A chance to top up the tan, polish the false teeth and come back revived. 

For me it's as much what he has done before, with Östersund in Sweden he managed to get exceptional results with them playing in Europe, did a really good job with Swansea and has now taken Brighton to another level, despite them not having invested much.

What I particularly like with him is that he seems to be a a proper manager, a proper leader, he manages to make the group he has perform on a higher level than the individuals in it. He is well known for his progressive and somewhat different methods in creating a togetherness in the group. He has managed to outhink bigger teams and seems tactically very astute. Both keeps his identity and adjusts formation etc also during the games. I think he comes across as very intelligent and thoughtfull in his interviews, both when he wins and loses. I also like the fact that he is from Birmingham.

I think many agree that he has deserved to have a go at a top club, top 6 is perhaps a step too far (though I think he would make it), I think us in our current position, mid table team (at least where we should be) aspiring to get into Europe, would be the perfect next step for him. Other people say that he deserves to get a bigger club than us. Obviously I don't agree with that.

Someone who hadn't done enough yet at the top level was Gerrard 🙂 

Having said that, it's of course always a gamble with a new manager at Villa, and the demads at Villa seems to take down any manager. Think Potter is the best fit just now nevertheless.

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Pedigree doesn’t coach football teams

As others have posted though, what Potter has done, is a methodical, patient, slow build.

Would we have the patience?

Also, really don't see him leaving what he's worked so hard to build, especially when it's now bearing fruit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Thats very decent of you , sure Potter will drop out the top 4 with a team he's took years to build so he can steer us out of a relegation battle and then get sacked after a few losses.

Potter may come if we can get to the summer and still be in the premier League , this season is Potters chance to push Brighton into Europe , if he does he will stay there and if he doesn't and his best players get sold again he may choose to move.

Haha yes what Potter wants is of course part of the equation 😄 but that we don't know much about. Him coming from Birmingham, the possibility to manage a team with the history of Villa, that we are a much bigger club and has higher potential could be enough to persuade him.

Or we could let Gerrard have to the World Cup, see where Brighton is then and try to get Potter in during the WC break, if not Gerrard suddenly creates some miracles.

Could be wrong, but it just seems patently obvious that there’s no way in hell Potter or Poch are coming to Villa this autumn.

But it’s kind of sweet and touching that some supporters believe it’s possible, and I’d rather have those supporters who believe it possible than Rodgers. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But when does this stop? 

If he gets 4 points is it then the next two games or does he get a pass for a month or two?

If its at this point then it really does feel pointless in continuing.

If Poch is available just sack Gerrard and get him. We can’t keep waiting to lose to act. We need sustainablity but in the right way.

• Like 1

I would happily take Potter but have a feeling his next job will be England manager. Has the right type of profile for the FA. His only downfall might be that he can actually coach and knows how to set a team up, the FA don’t usually encourage this. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Could be wrong, but it just seems patently obvious that there’s no way in hell Potter or Poch are coming to Villa this autumn.

But it’s kind of sweet and touching that some supporters believe it’s possible, and I’d rather have those supporters who believe it possible than Rodgers. 

I have no idea why Alex Neil left Sunderland for Stoke, the mind boggles.

Currently I have no idea why Potter would leave BHA and not sure what Poch would be thinking. 

That being said, Villa is a massive job with the potential to release someone into the stratosphere, it could also ruin them and make them hate football.

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Potter I agree but why isn’t Poch possible?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I strangely think we would actually have a better chance of getting Poch than Potter at this stage!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Why not? 

He has taken them to Europe on multiple occasions. 

The Rodgers and Leicester cycle is simply over. It's very normal in football. 

Don't let that overshadow the good work he has done. 

I've always liked Rodgers, from Swansea to Lpooh, he's always played good football. Needs some assistance with interviews (maybe he needs the bloke that used to translate for Biesla)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As others have posted though, what Potter has done, is a methodical, patient, slow build.

Would we have the patience?

Also, really don't see him leaving what he's worked so hard to build, especially when it's now bearing fruit.

I dunno, but I don’t think any real success in football is instant. I think obviously Poch could be most likely to achieve both quick and longer term success, but **** me it would be nice to have some semblance of method. I’d quite like a manager who leaves his club in a better place than it was when he joined, not one who takes it back to where it was by the end of their tenure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But when does this stop? 

If he gets 4 points is it then the next two games or does he get a pass for a month or two?

If its at this point then it really does feel pointless in continuing.

It stops when we are tracking on 55 points for the season. 

That basically means a minimum of 3 wins from the next four games due to shambolic previous 17 games.