Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure thinking that you can get a vastly better job is the same as being scared.

People think we're going from Brentford's former manager in the second tier, to Steven Gerrard with 2 years' experience in Scotland, to Poch? While we're in the bottom 3?

I'd love it, but it's about as plausible as me being noshed off by whoever is 2022's version of 2010's Angelina Jolie.

I know, and agree. My comment wasn’t a serious one. A kind of “if he doesn’t want to join us, we didn’t want him anyway” vibe. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno, im not saying we would get him, but......

Our squad alone, under the right manager is a mid table team, maybe upper mid table on a good day, we have a net spend of 25/30m over the last 2 years, if we said we guarantee 100/150m spend in the next couple of windows, he might be interested.

I know he is seen as a CL manager, but he took over Spurs when they were average and took them on and developed them, maybe he might be interested in doing the same here.

I dunno, just thinkin out loud.

His work at Southampton (Getting a lower half club into Europe) got him the Spurs job.  His work at Spurs (Getting a top half team to a Champions League Final) got him the PSG job.  His experience at PSG and meeting expectations winning the league and French cup will get him a job at any other elite club he wants to...  Why would he step backwards twice in his career progression to manage Villa?  It's like someone who is a VP at a large company going back to middle management at a startup, instead of pushing for a CEO job instead.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno, im not saying we would get him, but......

Our squad alone, under the right manager is a mid table team, maybe upper mid table on a good day, we have a net spend of 25/30m over the last 2 years, if we said we guarantee 100/150m spend in the next couple of windows, he might be interested.

I know he is seen as a CL manager, but he took over Spurs when they were average and took them on and developed them, maybe he might be interested in doing the same here.

I dunno, just thinkin out loud.

He was Southampton manager at the time he joined spurs… it wasn’t step down for him. 

right now, he’s a European elite manager. Villa are no where near there and I’ll doubt he’s that interested in building that project, when all he has to do is wait, for a major job comes up 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I don't rate rodgers at all im afraid...

He is so much better than other dross we could end up with like Parker, Rafa, Dyche and other. He is not my preferred choice, but at least he would keep us up and get us safely somewhere in the middle of the table.

• Like 2

Just now, viivvaa66 said:

He is so much better than other dross we could end up with like Parker, Rafa, Dyche and other. He is not my preferred choice, but at least he would keep us up and get us safely somewhere in the middle of the table.

Agreed.  He is a meme and former players don't have good things to say about him.  Glen Johnson said he tries so hard to be Mourinho in everything he does and as someone who was actually managed by Mourinho at Chelsea, he couldn't take Rodgers seriously.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Poch
Potter
Rodgers

In that order. 

Pretty much where I am.

I have concerns with each though:

Can Poch do it these days without superstar players?  Do we have superstar players?
Is Potter just the next bright up and coming British manager who will be broken by Villa? 
Is Rodgers maybe the next burnt out "seen it done it, give me my pay packet" manager?

Naturally I will take any of them over Gerrard but they all have some element of risk. None of them will get us relegated though, Gerrard will.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Pretty much where I am.

I have concerns with each though:

Can Poch do it without superstar players? Do we have superstar players?
Is Potter just the next bright up and coming British manager who will be broken by Villa? 
Is Rodgers maybe the next burnt out "seen it done it, give me my pay packet" manager?

Naturally I will take any of them over Gerrard but they all have some element of risk. None of them will get us relegated though, Gerrard will.

What superstars did he have at Espanyol , Southampton and Spurs?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Can Poch do it these days without superstar players?  Do we have superstar players?

His problem in PSG is that he cannot do it with superstar players. In that regard he is a little bit like Bielsa, for his system to work every player have to work hard. Superstars like Messi and Mbabe could do the high pressing that is required. I believe this is one of the reason he didn’t get the ManU job.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

However anyone spins it, Poch is not joining Villa. Not in our current state 

Why i purposely worded it " someone like him ".

Also, I feel the defeatist mentality is one of the reasons we don't get those types.

Everton had Ancelotti Ffs.

West Ham signed Pacqeta, our " state " is only 4/5 games into a 38 game season.

With a decent squad, investment and promise, I don't see why it's " impossible "

Maybe unlikely, but impossible?

We aren't Nottingham Forest.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We should go for Kjetil Knutsen. He's the new Potter. 

He won promotion to the top flight with Bodo/Glimt, then won back to back titles straight after, and
Last season got to the quarter-finals of the Europa Conference League. Beat Jose Mourinho's Roma 6-1 in the group stage! Beat Celtic!

Plays an aggressive style of attacking football! If we cant get Potter himself or Poch we should take a chance on Kjetil! 

Knutsens Villa Army!

• Like 3

Desperate for someone that thinks like a proper coach before, during matches and after. Having watched All or Nothing Arsenal, Arteta is exactly what I want our next coach to be. The bloke is brilliant. Pep is similar, hence why Arteta has probably taken some of that into his own way of doing things. There is no way Arsenal are not winning something under Arteta. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Desperate for someone that thinks like a proper coach before, during matches and after. Having watched All or Nothing Arsenal, Arteta is exactly what I want our next coach to be. The bloke is brilliant. Pep is similar, hence why Arteta has probably taken some of that into his own way of doing things. There is no way Arsenal are not winning something under Arteta. 

I’m not as convinced about Arteta, but I think I know what you mean. I’d like a manager who really knows football not only by having played but also on an intellectual level. Someone who can see the benefits of different football philosophies, can analyze games properly, use various tactics for different problems. A smart devil who really knows his stuff and doesn’t just call for more money or more passion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We should go for Kjetil Knutsen. He's the new Potter. 

He won promotion to the top flight with Bodo/Glimt, then won back to back titles straight after, and
Last season got to the quarter-finals of the Europa Conference League. Beat Jose Mourinho's Roma 6-1 in the group stage! Beat Celtic!

Plays an aggressive style of attacking football! If we cant get Potter himself or Poch we should take a chance on Kjetil! 

Knutsens Villa Army!

Why are we still thinking of these random managers. 

Been there done that, took on the learners, now we need a manager/coach with experience, ideally someone who has won stuff, an not the plastic trophies up Scotland.

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why are we still thinking of these random managers

Been there done that, took on the learners, now we need a manager/coach with experience, ideally someone who has won stuff, an not the plastic trophies up Scotland.

Whats random about winning the league twice and beating Roma 6-1?

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why are we still thinking of these random managers. 

Totally different to Gerrard though - these types of names are obsessive detail and tactic orientated coaches. I’d much rather have that than people with the made up intangibles you get from names that are ‘winners’ like Gerrard. Obviously there’s managers who have the tactical knowledge and adaptability and also have shown to win things, like Emery I guess.

No 1 for me is someone who is an expert coach who’s shown that it is their football that wins games and I think that would apply to guy messi11 is suggesting

• Like 2