Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

If the club are serious Poch has to be the one.

He's out of work and since leaving PSG in June he's had no offers (that we know of) so i don't see why he wouldn't come to us.

It's not very often that managers of that calibre are out of work. The timing would be perfect for us.

We cannot afford another roll of the dice.

Edited by imavillan
fix a typo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Also believe Poch would be more likely to accept. He’s probably bored and missing the league, so the club asking first could get him.

Until a much bigger club calls him that is, whenever that happens.

Yeah I think it would be relatively risk free for him. Provided we’re not ultimately relegated of course.

He’s held in very high regard, he could do a moderate job with us for a year or two (say 10th place finishes) and everyone would see it as a success story, stabilising Villa. A better job would be there for him at the end of it, if he wanted.

It would require a very bad sequence of events for him to come out looking bad. Even then, I suspect it would largely be blamed on basket case Villa.

Basically our Ancelotti.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get the feeling that Potter wouldn't leave Brighton mid season through loyalty. I could be completely wrong but if we were to get Potter I think it will be next summer. That said, it is very early in the season and he would leave Brighton with lots of time to find a replacement

Exactly this. And at the same time, do we want a manager who is willing to move on to another club just a handful of games into the season? What happens if he is successful here and in a few years time another club tries to poach him a few weeks into the season?

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get the feeling that Potter wouldn't leave Brighton mid season through loyalty. I could be completely wrong but if we were to get Potter I think it will be next summer. That said, it is very early in the season and he would leave Brighton with lots of time to find a replacement

I just get the feeling with Potter, as well as loyalty, he has spent the last few years building something that has led to Brighton looking like an excellent team. I'm not sure he'll want to leave just as his hard work is really paying dividends to start a new project.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

If the club are serious Poch has to be the one.

He's out of work and since leaving PSG in June he's had no offers (that we know of) so i don't see why he wouldn't come to us.

It's not very often that managers of that calibre are out of work. The timing would be perfect for us.

We cannot afford another roll of the dice.

This is such a key point. If a manager of Poch's calibre gets a job it will be with a good club and he will be well funded. We would have no chance of prizing him away. This is an opportunity that rarely comes around and I am really surprised the likes of Everton or similar haven't tried to get him. Villa has always said that if the right player becomes available they would always be interested. This is the right manager, we should show the same opportunistic approach

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

Exactly this. And at the same time, do we want a manager who is willing to move on to another club just a handful of games into the season? What happens if he is successful here and in a few years time another club tries to poach him a few weeks into the season?

We just have to take potentially leaving us as a risk we need to manage. The same applies to every player we buy too. What happens if Man City come looking for Kamara in the summer, it will be nearly impossible to keep him. We are going to be subjected to this type of risk for our manager and players until we are a CL team and competing for the league title. Even then, the likes of Barca and Real will always have a certain pulling power we can't compete with. 

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

I personally never see a top 4/6 team coming in for Potter if he stays at Brighton. its a job without pressure.

Its a good point that. If Potter has ambition he will know he needs to leave Brighton at some stage

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I really can't for the life of me understand what is difficult about selling the manager's job at AVFC to Potter is

1) It has taken him several years of hard work to get them where they are now and he is starting to reap the reward.

2) They are currently much better than us at football.

3) He appears happy there.

4) Brighton is a stable, well run football club.

5) Villa is a club heading towards a crisis.

6) He would be heading to a potential relegation battle.

We could offer him better money, a bigger transfer budget, more expectation and more pressure. 
It’s not impossible but we are a difficult sell.

5 minutes ago, picicata said:

I just get the feeling with Potter, as well as loyalty, he has spent the last few years building something that has led to Brighton looking like an excellent team. I'm not sure he'll want to leave just as his hard work is really paying dividends to start a new project.

The best time to leave is when your stock is high. I don't see Brighton making a step up from where they are now. I can't see Europe and their better players will just be bought each summer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I think it would be relatively risk free for him. Provided we’re not ultimately relegated of course.

He’s held in very high regard, he could do a moderate job with us for a year or two (say 10th place finishes) and everyone would see it as a success story, stabilising Villa. A better job would be there for him at the end of it, if he wanted.

It would require a very bad sequence of events for him to come out looking bad. Even then, I suspect it would largely be blamed on basket case Villa.

Basically our Ancelotti.

Did you just curse us into Evertonian decline?

• Haha 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

The best time to leave is when your stock is high. I don't see Brighton making a step up from where they are now. I can't see Europe and their better players will just be bought each summer

Indeed. Rodgers must be kicking himself for staying at Leicester. It wasnt so long ago he was the hotness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

1) It has taken him several years of hard work to get them where they are now and he is starting to reap the reward.

-- And isn't that why managers of smaller teams get offered bigger jobs and leave. It happens all the time.

2) They are currently much better than us at football.

-- And if they weren't, we nor anyone else wouldn't be offering him a job

3) He appears happy there.

-- I have seen lots of happy looking managers leave their jobs. He left jobs he was happy in before and ended up at Brighton

4) Brighton is a stable, well run football club.

--And Villa isn't?? We are an extremely well run club 

5) Villa is a club heading towards a crisis.

--That's nonsense. We are 4 games into the season, if the crisis is we sack SG and employ Potter then surely than means crisis is over

6) He would be heading to a potential relegation battle.

-- We have played 4 games

We could offer him better money, a bigger transfer budget, more expectation and more pressure. 
It’s not impossible but we are a difficult sell.

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Indeed. Rodgers must be kicking himself for staying at Leicester. It wasnt so long ago he was the hotness.

Maybe you're correct. I suppose he then has to question whether we are better positioned to go further than Brighton are

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I personally never see a top 4/6 team coming in for Potter if he stays at Brighton. its a job without pressure.

And that’s why they will eventually become a regular top 6-8 side.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its a good point that. If Potter has ambition he will know he needs to leave Brighton at some stage

I honestly disagree, he can achieve his ambitions at Brighton, possibly within the next 3-4 seasons. 

Just now, Tommo_b said:

I honestly disagree, he can achieve his ambitions at Brighton, possibly within the next 3-4 seasons. 

That depends on what his ambition is but if he wants European football, Champiosn League and to compete with the top 6 then he has no chance at Brighton. He could get a league cup win which would give a one off season in the Europa but when I say 'European Football', I mean qualifying for it regularly via league position