Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m quite sure he’s had other offers before and turned those down, even during summer when leaving would have been easier. Leaving Brighton right now would be stupid and he won’t do it.

The Potter ship has sailed, when he does move it will be for a CL club or the England job.

I disagree mate. Very few top young managers go into international management early. Potter love’s coaching, I can’t see the part time role of England manager appealing to him. 

Though he built a really good reputation for himself, I’m not sure he has a big enough reputation for one the foreign CL elite teams (your Bayerns, Barcelonas etc, and I’m not sure he’d leave the PL for any of those in the next in bracket, so when we’re talking CL we’re taking English teams imo. Which one of those are options? Teams like Chelsea and UTD are too stupid and too arrogant to go for someone with Potters CV. Arsenal will stick with Arteta for the long term, and Liverpool and City will want to keep their managers for as long as possible. 

I honestly think we’d get him if we wanted. 

9 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So a club that’s on a massive upward trajectory…. Right. 

A bigger club than Brighton. 

Potter is doing well but lets be fair about this. Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or Man City are not going to come calling anytime soon. Maybe a Leicester, West Ham, Wolves even. Maybe the England job. He may not leave mid season or even want the Villa job if offered but the idea he is above the Villa job because he's pulling up trees at Brighton is ludicrous.  

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

We were sitting in the same position under Smith 2 years ago with a shit team. Brighton are not finishing 4th or in European places and they probably will finish higher but it wont be because they're a bigger club or have better resources. Has Potter reached the pinnacle of his ambition at Brighton, is that what your suggesting? Or are you suggesting he wouldn't leave to move to a bigger club unless they are above Brighton in the table? 

He's built a team that play decent football, whilst having to sell their best players. It's all very admirable. However, if a bigger club comes along and throws cash about and the opportunity to sign who you want, not have to sell and build something with a higher ceiling than Brighton, he's gone. 

Brighton sell their players at above their market value because they already have planned replacements in mind and scouted. They are not a club that needs to sell, they have a billionaire owner who is a fan of the club.

They replaced Bissouma with Caicedo and Cucurella with Estipunaan both of whom already look just as good if not better. 

I think it’s incredibly naive for us to think Brighton do not have a high ceiling at this point in time. 

Potter leaving would be a brave move on his part. 

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Brighton sell their players at above their market value because they already have planned replacements in mind and scouted. They are not a club that needs to sell, they have a billionaire owner who is a fan of the club.

They replaced Bissouma with Caicedo and Cucurella with Estipunaan both of whom already look just as good if not better. 

I think it’s incredibly naive for us to think Brighton do not have a high ceiling at this point in time. 

Potter leaving would be a brave move on his part. 

Nobody is denying that behind the scenes Brighton are a well run club. Nobody. Nobody is denying that they are having a far better start to the season than ourselves. Nobody is also denying that they are far more consistent than us or indeed not backed by owners that have money. That being said, you'd also have to be pretty naive to think that Brighton are a bigger club or better draw than Villa for a manager with ambition.  

Edited by avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Why don’t we, yknow, see what Potter thinks about Potter wanting the Villa job?

I'm just not sure about the timing.  By January England might be looking for a new manager and he would probably be on a shortlist of a couple at most.  

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I'm just not sure about the timing.  By January England might be looking for a new manager and he would probably be on a shortlist of a couple at most.  

It’s not ideal no. I think we should be fighting tooth and nail for a proper football coach though, whoever it is, and soon.

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Is Rodgers a bargain at the moment? Rewind 12 months and he was a hot thing. I have always liked him. I fear he may have too much of the dour about him for this job tho.

My only worry with him was just how many goals from corners Leicester conceded last year and he seemed to have no answer.  He would definitely be an improvement though.

• Thanks 1

Give the next guy some free hits against City and Arsenal. He can't do any worse than 0 points, which is what Gerrard got last season. Who knows, they might surprise us. Remi Garde got a 0-0 draw in his debut against City and we were on a longer run than this.