Midweek Football 3/6 October

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just had a look at Leicester’s next few fixtures.

Bournemouth (a) Palace (h) Leeds (h) Wolves (a) Man City (h) Everton (a) West Ham (a)

Think this might act as a bit of a springboard for them, can see them picking up points from those, maybe double figures from them. 

We need to be very careful.

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

Digne had the ball headed into the back of his hand while he was in the air looking the opposite way and conceded a penalty, but that’s not.

I would just like consistency, pick which one it is and apply it.

From memory wasn't Digne's arm up by his head?

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He jumped and had his arms in a jumping motion, he missed a header and then the ball was headed onto his arm from behind.

The rule is - 

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

The inconsistency seems to be the players body movement when jumping naturally making themselves bigger, for years refs have struggled to understand how people jump

Digne was obviously considered unnatural, it being behind him and half a metre away makes no difference 

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Half their team were loanees.  Their first choice keeper didn't want to sign with them unless he got ridiculous money.  A load of other players weren't good enough and were moved on.

They've literally rebuilt three entire sides.

Fixed for your convenience 

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

They've got resale all over the shop, to be fair.

Have they?

None of the CBs will go for anything given the main 3 are just championship standard so Forest will just have to keep them and Wily Boly is early 30s now and Forest signed him for about 2m in the end.

So not much re-sale in defence unless I've missed an obvious one (will probably sell Lodi back to Spain).

Lingard is only on a one year deal so he'll have to be released as his wages are unsustainable in championship.

Morgan Gibbs White was massively overrated and overspent on, can't see who else in prem would want him for 30m +.

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. 1 point from their opening games is appalling, but you look at their fixtures, and 5 of the losses aren't that surprising. They're not the worst team in the league, and will be out of the bottom 3 fairly quickly IMO.

It's going to be a tough season. Two of the favourites, Everton and Fulham have started well. No Norwich whipping boys. A team or two could go down with a decent points total, I think.

Think the bottom 3 will just be as usual, two promoted teams and then one who's consistently finishing bottom half in last 3-4 years.

Southampton have just lost to us, Everton and Wolves in poor fashion. Given how young their 11 is it's similar to us in 2012-14 period, they'll win games here and there but will be bottom six all season.

Think bottom 3 is going to be Southampton, Bournemouth and Forest although been very impressed with the spirit Bournemouth have shown since sacking Parker. They can defend fine v non top 6 teams but probably won't have enough goals in them.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Have they?

None of the CBs will go for anything given the main 3 are just championship standard so Forest will just have to keep them and Wily Boly is early 30s now and Forest signed him for about 2m in the end.

So not much re-sale in defence unless I've missed an obvious one (will probably sell Lodi back to Spain).

Lingard is only on a one year deal so he'll have to be released as his wages are unsustainable in championship.

Morgan Gibbs White was massively overrated and overspent on, can't see who else in prem would want him for 30m +.

Niakhate is the one from defence.  Agreed on the rest - they'll just stay at the club/move lower down with little resale value.  Arguably Worrell was a decent prospect, but I don't think he'd leave/be THAT much interest in him anyway.

On the second bold bit, I think you're missing the point.  It isn't that another club would come in for £30m+ - it's that clubs would be interested in him.  Let's say Forest get relegated; Gibbs-White could 'easily' move on for £10m/15m to a newly promoted Premier League side.  Sure, they'd take a loss, but they'd be able to shift him.  Same with Johnson, Williams and whoever else I mentioned :D.

If they needed to shift some of those youngers players, they'd be able to.  I can't see them going bust from this spending.

They won't be in serious problems straight away as they'll have the parachutes to tick by. I remember last time they went down from prem they made Platt manager and he filled up half the team with Italian players who were on massive money and barely played. They then were close to administration the following years.

4 hours ago, osmark86 said:

disagree. drums bring atmosphere.

Yep. If you have a decent Ultras group, a drum and a capo is absolutely necessary. I suggested in another thread England is falling behind in terms of decent fan culture. Ultras culture is brilliant fun to take part in - more English clubs should follow the trend. 

34 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yep. If you have a decent Ultras group, a drum and a capo is absolutely necessary. I suggested in another thread England is falling behind in terms of decent fan culture. Ultras culture is brilliant fun to take part in - more English clubs should follow the trend. 

ultra in England though seems to indicate some sort of fascist or racist symbols in the fan base. Obviously some countries have a minority who do it but means a lot more. Watched some Lech Poznan vs Legia at weekend and was really great atmosphere before the game

I remember some Villa fans wanted start similar around the O'Neill days and people were worried that it would lead to violence and racism

Â