January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Haven't we exchanged Ings for Duran.

Emery said no! Emery said he wants another to replace Ings, almost as if Duran was replacing Archer more so in the squad at this early stage.

Looks like a transitional season then if we are not going to address the holes in our squad. It’s a shame but I understand it and we have rarely bought well in Jan. We are much more likely to add to our problems than solve them in the Jan market. Just look at last year. I’ll expect big things in summer!

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Apparently not. I think you might have dreamed that we sold one Striker for 15m and bought another for 15m. 

Isn’t it better to listen to what the manager said when he that wasn’t the case.  I thought we all trusted in Emery!

Just now, mikeyjavfc said:

Looks like a transitional season then if we are not going to address the holes in our squad. It’s a shame but I understand it and we have rarely bought well in Jan. We are much more likely to add to our problems than solve them in the Jan market. Just look at last year. I’ll expect big things in summer!

The January Market is changing, we need to keep up. Its no longer the over priced smash an grab month like it used to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Isn’t it better to listen to what the manager said when he that wasn’t the case.  I thought we all trusted in Emery!

I'm confused. Did we sell Ings for ~15m and buy Duran for ~15m? Are they both Strikers?

26 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Travesty is a bit strong but it's quite reasonable to suggest it would be a disappointment and an annoyance.  Getting top 6 would increase our income, raise our profile, give us European football,  and would help us sign better players this summer rather than further down the line.  That's the longer term impact, since you can't seem to see it.  It is achievable with Liverpool and Chelsea misfiring, Spurs inconsistent, and Fulham, Brentford and even Brighton below us in recent form tables - baffling why some people are saying we have no chance.  There is clearly an opportunity there to be grasped, but we seem reluctant to go for it.  that's the frustration for me.  Gerrard's rubbish tenure is irrelevant, Emery has changed the landscape and raised/restored the expectations.  

Nonsense. 

I've said it previously, look at the players we've signed and the manager we've got and we haven't finished in the top half of the prem for a decade. 

We shouldn't gamble on targets we aren't convinced by, or pay over the odds to chase European football for the made up scenario of it will be harder to get players in the summer. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s not the right question because you are assuming we can get first choice in the summer which is no guarantee.  You’re also assuming we have or haven’t pushed the extra mile for first choice now.  You’re also assuming we have a first choice and not a choice of two or three we are in the bracket of first choice.  

If I said to you we can’t get first choice in the summer either would you settle for second choice now?

You would probably be like me, trying to weigh up all the factors like, is he better than what we have? Can we get on a short term deal or even a loan? What fee and wages? So I think you question is wrong because that isn’t the choice we have and we don’t have all the details.

No. I'd like us to go for first choice again in the summer and then settle if we have to. 

There's no need to settle now when we have another good opportunity to bring in top targets in the summer.