January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Looks like Marseille are signing him! 26 Million......

Guendouzi to Villa back on?👀

The plot thickens. 

They play in completely different positions. I don't see how that relates to Guendouzi?

6 minutes ago, handsworthlion said:

Our lack of activity in terms of incomings this window actually washes me with a sense of calm this time. We actually have very decent first 11 when fully fit and a few decen toptions from the bench. lets not forget that we have actually brought two players in this wndow for a combines 30million pounds, its hardly chicken change is it?  I want us to make upgrades when the RIGHT player comes along, irrespective of fee/ wages, and i think we will do that. Unai's brilliant start has brought us some time to regroup and strategise before a big purposefull summer. i am looking forward to the rest of the season with renewed optmism. 

But, but, signings! They're so great!

Completely agree - we've got some very good options and it's time to get behind the team. We have a settled-ish first eleven, all of whom have a player directly behind them (cue Kenneth) waiting to take their spot if they play poorly. They're learning from a proper manager and coaching team each day. I'm more excited about that then signing a over-the-hill striker on loan.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Archer might be handy then surely it’s just as likely that Duran might be handy. I know Unai has said that he’s one for the future but that doesn’t mean he can’t be handy. He’s also probably trying to not build up expectations of the lad and lump loads of pressure on him. Given that we don’t say anything useful to the press Unai is probably not telling the whole story either. 

If Emery himself has said he's one for the future what makes you think he will be used more than Archer may have been?  And will he also be able to cover for the loss of Ings?  Archer has at least some PL, League Cup  and Championship experience (where he did very well), Duran has been playing in the MLS where a selection of has-beens and never-will-bes thrive, and has hardly pulled up trees.  

46 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

And it’s not like we’ve weakened the team,  people were screaming for us to sell all the players that have left after the Stevenage game and now they are moaning. They also moan about giving youth a chance, we buy a 19 year old striker then they moan we can’t trust him. Don’t get me wrong I had mixed emotions about selling Ings but it was a good fee for a player on big wages and rarely featuring in the first team. We’ve spent 30m in this window , the teams down the bottom can scramble and sign all the players they want for an overinflated fee it won’t make difference they will go down regardless.

I don't think we should be worrying / looking at what the teams at the bottom are doing.  We need to be looking at closing the gap on the teams above us.

The "team" isn't about starting XI - it is about the 16 players that can be used during a match and ideally the 18 players from which those 16 are selected so that the manager can respond to different types of match situation.  Whilst Moreno is a definite improvement on Augustininininson - I think we'd all be surprised if Duran comes in and matches the goal contributions / options that Ings provided.  I really, really hope he can and does and that in 1 month, 2 months time we are all laughing about why some of us were concerned. 

I don't think out first choice 18 is as good as it was before the window.  At the very best it might be the same (if you think the addition of Moreno makes up for being much more reliant on Ollie up front).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, handsworthlion said:

Our lack of activity in terms of incomings this window actually washes me with a sense of calm this time. We actually have very decent first 11 when fully fit and a few decen toptions from the bench. lets not forget that we have actually brought two players in this wndow for a combines 30million pounds, its hardly chicken change is it?  I want us to make upgrades when the RIGHT player comes along, irrespective of fee/ wages, and i think we will do that. Unai's brilliant start has brought us some time to regroup and strategise before a big purposefull summer. i am looking forward to the rest of the season with renewed optmism. 

Perfectly put, gone are the days of just bringing bodies to make the numbers up in the squad like previous managers have done .... the players we bring in now will be to better the team & help how we want to play, if that means waiting till the summer then so be it.

The timing of this Vitinha news is hard to figure out. Either we said we were interested, then Marseille confirmed the deal and the player is on his way to France already. Or Marseille thought they had a deal in place and we have now got involved to potentially "gazump" them. Time will tell.

Spurs have signed Soonsup-Bell, I doubted it as don't think we will sign another U21 striker as Wilson will play at that level and Brad Young if can't get a loan, plus Kobei Moore doing well this season, but was talking us being interested,

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the club have decided that the squad is good enough for Emery to get us to survive this season, and let’s face it we aren’t going to get Europe but we’re likely to just sneak in the top half if we do well. I think they’re keeping their powder dry for summer when we can get Emery’s targets by not panicking and spaffing loads on players that won’t definitely improve us.

If that is the scale of the club's ambition then we are truly ****ed.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fine, but they already sold players for £17M this window, couldn't they stump up the extra £9M or so internally?

I don't know, maybe they are broke and are relaying on player sales. Maybe they have loads of money and don't need to sell Guendouzi.  Who knows. We'll find out in 12 hours.

Just now, duke313 said:

I don't know, maybe they are broke and are relaying on player sales. Maybe they have loads of money and don't need to sell Guendouzi.  Who knows. We'll find out in 12 hours.

God I hate deadline day.