January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Under these owners, apart from the first January transfer window (Mings) and last summer - I'm pretty sure Villa just don't do business on deadline day? If (most likely) nobody does come in I wouldn't be surprised to see a contract extension for Mings/Watkins announced tomorrow for some positive news to give.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Try for “many players” eh? 🤔

Busy deadline day?

I reckon it's 50/50 tbh. With most of the names linked so far we'll be there or thereabouts.

I have no doubt everyone behind the scenes (from Purslow to Doris the tea lady), are busy 'preparing offers'. 

38 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Which of our loan players can we recall, do we know? Iirc it's not many.

I Don't know.....but in answer to your point, about replacing Danny Ings, I would have preferred to bring one in.

Having said that, Danny has scored 7 goals, and while its not to be sniffed at, its not prolific either.....opportunities have to be capitalised on.

Arsen Wenger once said, when asked......."Teams score goals".....as an example, Eddie Nketiah has scored 2 more than Danny, and they are top of the league.

someone Else will pick up the baton, as Albert did that one season when Kodja was out injured.

its not ideal, but its not the end of the world either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The new stand is being paid for by NSWE and doesn’t effect ffp so has no baring on us signing anyone. It has historically always been harder to make January signings. Clubs aren’t ever keen on disrupting squads, especially better players, in the middle of the season. This year it may well be even harder with the World Cup interruption. With that in mind, on human level, some players have been away from home for 6 weeks and they may not want to move away again so soon. 

No matter how keen we are we may have to wait until the summer for some of our targets. That may make home based players more gettable. Sarr rumours seem to have suddenly come to the fore again. 

I accept your reasoning Dave....but other clubs seem to be signing players.

I am only partially convinced, its just the notorious January Market.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I reckon it's 50/50 tbh. With most of the names linked so far we'll be there or thereabouts.

I have no doubt everyone behind the scenes (from Purslow to Doris the tea lady), are busy 'preparing offers'. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Kamara is a defensive player with good passing, Luiz is a creative playmaker, McGinn is a workhorse, Ramsey is a ball carrier.  They all play completely different roles.

I agree that he is different to all the above, but he's not as good as any of them at what they do which makes him at best a bench warmer, and Chelsea will be looking for 40m for him, which would be a complete waste.

He's mediocre at best.

I don't disagree, but he is Still played in the double pivot.

I was really talking pre Kamara.....but he can do everything.

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Gallagher doesn't carry the ball like AJ does either.  He is better defensively than AJ but not as good going forward.  He's somewhere between Kamara and Luiz in terms of style without being as good as either.

but he goes after players and disrupts play, in a squad of 25, I would take him, for the right price.....would sooner have Guendouzi mind.

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Ive a feeling we will end up with Ismaila Sarr today.

That would be a weird one as we've been linked to him for what seems to be forever. Would suggest Emery doesn't have total control, unless Emery himself really happens to like the player and wants him. 

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I Don't know.....but in answer to your point, about replacing Danny Ings, I would have preferred to bring one in.

Having said that, Danny has scored 7 goals, and while its not to be sniffed at, its no prolific either.....opportunities have to be struck.

Arsen Wenger once said, when asked......."Teams score goals".....as an example, Eddie Nketiah has scored 2 more than Danny, and they are top of the league.

someone Else will pick up the baton, as Albert did that one season when Kodja was out injured.

its not ideal, but its not the end of the world either.

Problem is, none of our other strikers/forward players have been prolific either. If you work it out, none of them even at their scoring rates under Emery get even close to making up 7 goals in the second half of the season required to just tread water in terms of goal difference. Let alone those required to move up the league. Positions 10th to 6th have goal differences of between 5 and 14 higher than us, and that's with games in hand. 

So after losing Ings we are looking an an additional 7 goals from the current forward line (over what they would normally be expected to score) to tread water, and between 12 and 21 additional goals during the remainder of the season to get anywhere near the GD (usually a variable but decent indicator of league position) of any teams between 10th and 6th.  

Edited by HKP90

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

That would be a weird one as we've been linked to him for what seems to be forever. Would suggest Emery doesn't have total control, unless Emery himself really happens to like the player and wants him. 

He could be suggested to Emery by Lange and the scouting team and signed off by Emery if he feels he fits the team, same as Duran.

Just now, duke313 said:

He could be suggested to Emery by Lange and the scouting team and signed off by Emery if he feels he fits the team, same as Duran.

Sure. I don't doubt it. I just feel he'd have preferred someone from La Liga that he might know better who might be better value.