January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

27 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Can’t wait for the window to close so the bedwetters on social media can stop moaning or questioning the ambition of NSWE, horribly entitled lot. 

So I've posted (stupidly on the Guendouzi thread) a reasoned argument why I think not signing a striker in the short term is a mistake. I've backed that up with analysis on goals scored and conceded this year, both as a whole, and during Emery's tenure. For my viewpoint I've had a number of responses which range from 'we should only go in for the right players' (reasonable) through 'Trust Emery' (understandable), to 'bedwetter' (stupid). 

No one, however, has given any substantial response to the question 'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' that was backed up by any sort of reasoning aside from a vague- they'll be picked up by the other players (who would all have to exceed their career best goalscoring ratios simultaneously to do this). And no one has entertained the possibility that there may be injuries to key players, or rather they have, but have referred to it as 'unlikely', which is fine but in no way acknowledges any associated risk. Somehow it is my concerns that are being attacked as 'unreasonable' and 'impatient'. Deranged even. 

I am very much more than happy to receive reasoned arguments that change my mind. 

If anyone else calls my opinion 'bedwetting' and then goes on to give absolutely no justification, other than faith things will work out OK, then, however, I am going to lose my s**t. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I can only credit Unai and the board with how quick they’ve managed to shift the deadweight. Yes, it leaves us short on numbers. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we recall the likes of Tim or others if called upon. 

We might have to if we don't bring anyone in. That said, none of them are ready for first team premier league football yet, so not sure how much help they will be getting us into the top 8.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If anyone else calls my opinion 'bedwetting' and then goes on to give absolutely no justification, other than faith things will work out OK, then, however, I am going to lose my s**t. 

Cue the raft of 'bedwetting' comments. Never let anyone on here know your frustration as they will eat you alive! 😀

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Cue the raft of 'bedwetting' comments. Never let anyone on here know your frustration as they will eat you alive! 😀

Bring it on. none of it will have any substance. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

So I've posted (stupidly on the Guendouzi thread) a reasoned argument why I think not signing a striker in the short term is a mistake. I've backed that up with analysis on goals scored and conceded this year, both as a whole, and during Emery's tenure. For my viewpoint I've had a number of responses which range from 'we should only go in for the right players' (reasonable) through 'Trust Emery' (understandable), to 'bedwetter' (stupid). 

No one, however, has given any substantial response to the question 'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' that was backed up by any sort of reasoning aside from a vague- they'll be picked up by the other players (who would all have to exceed their career best goalscoring ratios simultaneously to do this). And no one has entertained the possibility that there may be injuries to key players, or rather they have, but have referred to it as 'unlikely', which is fine but in no way acknowledges any associated risk. Somehow it is my concerns that are being attacked as 'unreasonable' and 'impatient'. Deranged even. 

I am very much more than happy to receive reasoned arguments that change my mind. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To be honest, I switched off at 'what do we do in the short term to score the gap in goals from the Ings sale' because I don't recognise any gap of concern. Watkins will need to play better as will others but as we are improving steadily then I have no concerns about that.

I'm also thinking ..... why is this guy getting into a panic because he thinks we won't sign a forward ? Do you know something we don't ? 

• Like 1

Trees posted on his twitter this morn that he thinks the flight in from Bilbao is definitely football related, not sure what makes him so sure but presumably has his reasons. Although does point out that it could be something to do with Wolves rather than us.

24 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I can only credit Unai and the board with how quick they’ve managed to shift the deadweight. Yes, it leaves us short on numbers. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we recall the likes of Tim or others if called upon. 

a lot of loan deals don't have recall options - QPR have a tiny squad, doubt they would let a player from their regular 11 go back if no recall clause. 

Find it odd we let Archer go on loan, then sold Ings???

If we sold Chambers we would need to bring Swinkels or Bogarde on the bench.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Trees posted on his twitter this morn that he thinks the flight in from Bilbao is definitely football related, not sure what makes him so sure but presumably has his reasons. Although does point out that it could be something to do with Wolves rather than us.

It could also be either of our respective managers or scouting teams that were watching some games in Spain over the weekend.

Optimist in me says it's a signing to be revealed today.  Realist says we're laying the ground work for a summer move for Nico (or more likely someone else).

Edited by MrBlack

25 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Bed wetting opinion.

I have no reasoned argument.

*grabs popcorn and waits for @HKP90 to lose his shit 😜*

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I seems that has been the priority this month.....clearing out.

I don't run football clubs, so I have to trust, those that do.

Just now, TRO said:

I seems that has been the priority this month.....clearing out.

I don't run football clubs, so I have to trust, those that do.

Which of our loan players can we recall, do we know? Iirc it's not many.