January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So we have a list of targets and none of them want to come? Isn’t the chances of that being the same in summer? What changes being devils advocate.  I’m assuming our list two or three people but many more.

Hard to beleive isn't it 

But I do like the players we have been linked to so far the likes of Nico Williams and Luiz Henrique. If we could actually land one that would be brilliant. 
I'd like to see us sign a 40-50 Million player each season to improve our team whilst also adding a few 10/15mil talents like Duran. This is my expectation. 

Edited by messi11

9 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Need to focus on improving Ings, Sanson, Nakamba, A winger (Short) before we improve on the rest on the 11

I’m sure West Ham will be delighted if we can improve Ings for them. I’m not sure what’s in it for us but hey-ho it’s a funny old world. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Isn't that Football? Good players that are performing well for their sides are always gonna demand a high fee. 
If we wanna improve on the players we've got we just gonna have to pay up. If Emery wants them that is. 

We didn't pay a fee for Kamara, so sometimes it pays to be patient rather than spunking money on a player like Bissouma.

7 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Looks like Ounahi is going to Marseille... 👀 

Great signing! 10 Million euros complete bargain. They just sold a striker to Lorient to fund it

Edited by messi11

21 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We’re a rich club but we don’t bring in near enough revenue - Leeds and Leicester and others bring in more than us. We don’t have 40/50/60 million to spend on a player. Impossible at this stage. Maybe in a couple or seasons. 

I really think that it's far from being impossible. I really can see us spending £40m + on the right player, when he becomes available and is willing to join us. Yes, in the long term the owners would like to bring in more revenue, but to do that, they appreciate that this will, at this point only be achieved by them keeping their cheque books open. If we can finish in the top half or even get into Europe,  better shirt sponsorship deals and increased revenue will follow.   

• Like 1

I don’t get the fretting and lack of patience… why are people acting like the window has closed and passed?

Transfers are involved, lengthy and difficult enough but even moreso when you are trying to attract a higher calibre of player (unless you’re an “elite club”) and there is so much that needs to be done and arranged. It’s easier to sign poor players… thankfully we’re not going done that route anymore…

The selling club is often looking for a replacement before letting their player go, or preparing other deals with the incoming funds in mind (no one wants to be left short, especially more competitive clubs) - I’m hoping that this is what’s happening at Marseille…

The player (and agent) has to consider and decide on the move (and several other offers usually) and make arrangements to move himself and his family abroad, there are deals constantly being discussed or worked on, everything needs to line up.

Transfer activity is often sequential and one deal leads to another and so on, especially towards the close of business. Not all late deals are panic signings either!

This is all old and obvious stuff, I don’t understand why there are so many people getting so jittery and panicked… and to this extent before?

Just chill and see what happens instead of trying to call everything. Pass judgements later…

There’s no need for me to go over all the positives again either… in a period of positivity there are still people hell bent on spreading negativity and pessimism… crazy.

spacer.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We didn't pay a fee for Kamara, so sometimes it pays to be patient rather than spunking money on a player like Bissouma.

Is there a single person who would have taken Bissouma over Kamara?

if so…

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is there a single person who would have taken Bissouma over Kamara?

if so…

Absolutely not.  But according to some on here, if we aren't spending big on transfers we aren't progressing. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t get the fretting and lack of patience… why are people acting like the window has closed and passed?

To be fair mate you are in this thread as much as the rest of us, so you must be as anxious as the rest of us around signings otherwise you wouldn’t be in here.  

Surely you aren’t coming in here just telling people to calm down, you’re in here regularly to see if there is any news, otherwise why come in this thread?  

Are some people panicking? Yeah maybe.  I think a lot of us who are discussing aren’t panicking we are just discussing both the opportunity we are in, it is actually a window for transfers and this is actually a thread to discuss the transfer window so can be misconstrued as panicking when really it’s just the place to discuss the window.

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

As it's really quiet on the transfer front at this moment in time, I've been thinking about the impact Coutinho has / doesn't have on transfers at the moment? As in the fact that he can't get a start under Unai. Does that work in our favour or not? I remember Gerrard stating that every potential signing he spoke to asked him if Couts was staying or not? As though it was a key factor in signing the likes of Kamara etc. So with him not able to get in the side does that highlight us as a bigger club than expected in some players eyes? Does it hinder us in some way or is it simply a non issue? 

I agree that having Coutinho has raised our status as a club to prospective signings. He's still here and so that still remains the case. He would want to start more games and hopefully his performances during the rest of the season can make that happen, but I doubt the fact that he's not been starting games lately, on coming back from an injury will have any negative impact on players that are considering joining us. Having UE, the progress we are making on the field under him and our improved league placing, can only help in their making the decision to join the club as well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

To be fair mate you are in this thread as much as the rest of us, so you must be as anxious as the rest of us around signings otherwise you wouldn’t be in here.  

Surely you aren’t coming in here just telling people to calm down, you’re in here regularly to see if there is any news, otherwise why come in this thread?  

Are some people panicking? Yeah maybe.  I think a lot of us who are discussing aren’t panicking we are just discussing both the opportunity we are in, it is actually a window for transfers and this is actually a thread to discuss the transfer window so can be misconstrued as panicking when really it’s just the place to discuss the window.

I’m just here for the fun of it mate but I am quite relaxed tbh. I don’t really come here for news, I probably share it more often 🤣

More news (and BS) on places like Twitter than here.

• Like 1

Signing big players is like buying a house in so much as there is a chain. The club prepared to release a player to us will only do so when the club holding his replacement releases to them and so on. Hence you find there is much talking right up to the last couple of days and then it all moves ..... in theory. Basically, stay patient as any inbound will happen very late !  

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Think so, by quite a margin too. Can't remember ever spending close to £33m in a Jan window before. 

I think last January was our previous record with £27m on Digne and Kerr and I'm not quite sure if we've surpassed that.

But it is quite impressive considering we've done nothing.

• Thanks 1