January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

If Duran is in first team contention (which I don't think he is), then the squad is about the right size. Emery said he didn't plan for Ings to leave, but the deal clearly made sense from a FFP perspective when he didn't fit in the team. I'm certain that means a striker will come in, and that is the top priority imo. Thuram and Dembele are the names mentioned that make a lot of sense to me, but if they decide to throw bags of money at Juventus and Vlahovic, I won't complain (I know it's not happening, but at least it's ambitious compared to some names thrown out so far).

We're obviously short on wingers because Gerrard is a simpleton, but Emery has already played CMs, FBs, playmakers and our one winger in Bailey out wide, so he has shown he can work without two. We need another winger, but unless there's a really good option available, it's probably better to wait til the summer when the market will be better.

Don't really like any of the links to wingers so far (taking Thuram as a CF where he's actually played his best football). I don't see a significant difference in the quality of the squad adding Deulofeu when we have Buendia and Coutinho. Quality, skillful, creative players who are physically sub-par. The Sarr move seems to be history, but it was worrying that Watford fans were happy enough for him to go anyway. 

Nakamba out, Guendouzi in seems like it'll happen and seems to be a pretty good move. I love John McGinn and I think he's been a victim of a lot of undeserved abuse because he had a moron managing him who tried to make him play RB while we were in possession. But if we do sign Guendouzi, I think that's a problem for McGinn. I think McGinn is a better player overall than Ramsey, but Ramsey probably fits better into a midfield alongside Kamara/Luiz/Guendouzi, and they're probably competing for half a role there vs Buendia/Coutinho. 

Other than Guendouzi and a striker, I'd be surprised if there were any other deals til the summer, and I think that's good for the youth players trying to get time with the first team, and good for targeting actual progress in the summer. 

Edited by Shaun Teales Moustache
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

One week and several hours left of the window. I wish some weren’t acting like it closes in a few hours. 

To be fair, it’s because of our history.  We signed Kamara and Carlos in June but then nothing for two months but similarly we were told not to worry because there was plenty of time week after week. Then we blundered in Bednarek and Dendoncker on deadline day.  So that’s just one example, so while we are in a completely different place in many aspects we’ve just been burned many times, that some are just nervous which is understandable.  Not lack of trust, just burnt many times in the same situation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I don't agree with the "no depth" argument...

• Guilbert wasn't even training with the first team squad - Wasn't even considered a part of the team, TBH
  • Archer needed 1st team footy and minutes to continue his development.  Honestly should have never stayed in the 1st team this season to begin with
  • Sanson got more minutes under Emery than Smith and Gerrard combined but even still, he was never considered more than a fringe player
  • Bednarak was a temporary stop gap until Diego Carlos returned to the squad...  Barely played for us and Diego Carlos is due back to the 1st team next month, so Bednarak is no longer needed
  • Ings is the only one which I think was not initially planned to be let go this January, but West Ham came in with a good offer and Ings himself asked to leave because he wanted to start more games.  Emery decided to let him go and continue to try for someone like Thuram or Dembele this window as a replacement.  Otherwise, we'll have to get creative with a loan until this summer when we can go for a striker who really improves us.

Where do these ridiculous false narratives come from about Sanson? He played a fraction of the time under Emery as he did under Smith. 

Anyway, we are light in attack. I assume we'll sign attacking reinforcements. I do wonder if we've been waiting for Deloufou to get back to full fitness and then he went off in the last game after coming on (was probably tactical to defend lead). 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Where do these ridiculous false narratives come from about Sanson? He played a fraction of the time under Emery as he did under Smith. 

Anyway, we are light in attack. I assume we'll sign attacking reinforcements. I do wonder if we've been waiting for Deloufou to get back to full fitness and then he went off in the last game after coming on (was probably tactical to defend lead). 

Who is making a ridiculous statement here? Of course he has only played a fraction of the time as he did under Smith, because Emery has only been here a grand total of 9 competitive matches so far...  He played a lot in the 2nd half of the season after he arrived in January for Smith, but his long term injuries and the incredible form of JJ kept him out of the lineup in the following season until Smith got the sack.  Never got a look in under Gerrard.  Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't even a rotation option for Smith after JJ's explosive growth the summer after Sanson signed for the club.  

Edited by KMitch

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

To be fair, it’s because of our history.  We signed Kamara and Carlos in June but then nothing for two months but similarly we were told not to worry because there was plenty of time week after week. Then we blundered in Bednarek and Dendoncker on deadline day.  So that’s just one example, so while we are in a completely different place in many aspects we’ve just been burned many times, that some are just nervous which is understandable.  Not lack of trust, just burnt many times in the same situation.

The business last summer was obviously partially disrupted because there was conflict between Lange and Gerrard. The Sarr non-deal made that very clear. That signing would have left the squad looking a lot more balanced. Even so, and as much as I think Gerrard was a complete clown, I don't really have a problem with any of the other business last summer.

Coutinho looked like he still had quality a level above what we had otherwise last season. There were several flashes of brilliance and he looked like he was just out of form or fitness. Not sure if he's injured or depressed or burnt out or whatever has him looking a shadow of himself now, but as of last summer, the deal we signed him on looked a worthy gamble. He had a spell like this at Inter too that led to Liverpool signing him on the cheap. Hopefully Emery can get him going again. 

Bednarek was as a direct result of Carlos getting injured. Don't think we blundered into it so much as took what was available at short notice without being tied to a contract long term when Carlos is clearly going to be the eventual starter, and Konsa and Mings were also both capable starters. Augustinsson similar, probably necessitated by outgoing loans.

Dendonker was a signing of opportunity with his contract running down and Wolves moving to a different system that would give him less starting opportunities. For 13m, he's great cover for DM and can also cover CB. He has 30-40 caps for one of the top international teams in the world over the last 5 years. He's still young. Seems like he's taking a lot of abuse since that mistake vs Stevenage, but one mistake doesn't define a player. That was really good business imo.

Kamara was an incredible signing. Carlos looked like a great addition on paper.

The biggest problem was selling all bar one of the wingers, but the "brains" behind that move is no longer at the club. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

The business last summer was obviously partially disrupted because there was conflict between Lange and Gerrard. The Sarr non-deal made that very clear. That signing would have left the squad looking a lot more balanced. Even so, and as much as I think Gerrard was a complete clown, I don't really have a problem with any of the other business last summer.

Coutinho looked like he still had quality a level above what we had otherwise last season. There were several flashes of brilliance and he looked like he was just out of form or fitness. Not sure if he's injured or depressed or burnt out or whatever has him looking a shadow of himself now, but as of last summer, the deal we signed him on looked a worthy gamble. He had a spell like this at Inter too that led to Liverpool signing him on the cheap. Hopefully Emery can get him going again. 

Bednarek was as a direct result of Carlos getting injured. Don't think we blundered into it so much as took what was available at short notice without being tied to a contract long term when Carlos is clearly going to be the eventual starter, and Konsa and Mings were also both capable starters. Augustinsson similar, probably necessitated by outgoing loans.

Dendonker was a signing of opportunity with his contract running down and Wolves moving to a different system that would give him less starting opportunities. For 13m, he's great cover for DM and can also cover CB. He has 30-40 caps for one of the top international teams in the world over the last 5 years. He's still young. Seems like he's taking a lot of abuse since that mistake vs Stevenage, but one mistake doesn't define a player. That was really good business imo.

The biggest problem was selling all bar one of the wingers, but the "brains" behind that move is no longer at the club. 

I agree and disagree with some of your points but overall, the sense generally I got on this forum and off this forum that the summer started so well and then failed to capitalise.  There are always reasons but the result was a very disappointing end of window after the initial deals and my comment was referring to how people keep saying wait which is fair enough but it doesn’t stop nerves given our history.  That’s all!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

I honestly think he is physically shot and is never going to be good in the PL.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Coutinho I guess. And as he couldn't outpace a league two side at home I also share the same concerns.

I wonder could Coutinho be the player we've supposedly offered to Marseille as part of the Guendouzi deal? 

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

Who is making a ridiculous statement here? Of course he has only played a fraction of the time as he did under Smith, because Emery has only been here a grand total of 9 competitive matches so far...  He played a lot in the 2nd half of the season after he arrived in January for Smith, but his long term injuries and the incredible form of JJ kept him out of the lineup in the following season until Smith got the sack.  Never got a look in under Gerrard.  Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't even a rotation option for Smith after JJ's explosive growth the summer after Sanson signed for the club.  

What are you talking about. Sanson got into the side shortly after he joined and started 3 of 4 PL games and got injured, he was out then until he came back in September and got injured again. Smith was sacked then the following month.

So Smith never had him fit and available between the time he was picking him in the side in early 2021 and Smith being sacked. 

So how on earth have you come to some conclusion that he wasn't even a rotation option for Smith? He wasn't available after he got into the side die to injury.