January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You can’t see his face, you can see his brothers face.  The guy opposite in a cap is  Harry.

Oh. My bad, take it back. Although in my defence he does look nothing like his brother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

To be fair, there aren't many humans who happen to look like an actual concrete breeze block. 

Hahaha. That made me laugh out loud in a very public place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Some people on here 🤦‍♂️. He’s clearly better than what we have in mings and konsa. I can’t say if he’s better than Carlos because he hasn’t played enough games to make that assessment.

Wages are a concern for me and I can’t imagine this is a permanent signing. It’ll be on loan with united paying a large portion of his wage for maybe 6 months while maguire gets to put himself in the shop window for the summer. How can we lose if that’s the case?

People need to get a grip of themselves.

Is he? He’s certainly a lot slower than Mings and Konsa.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 22:44, Tomaszk said:

The challenge for the club is can they get someone "better" for us than Kevin Schade ends up being for Brentford. They've gone for a guy who won't be at his peak for about three years for about £30m. Be interested to see if we go the same way, or want something more immediate.

And hopefully our new forward is a "better" deal than Leeds' £30m for Georginio Rutter.

26 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Is he? He’s certainly a lot slower than Mings and Konsa.

Is that the only metric that matters for a centre back? What about his reading of the game? Tackling? Decision making? Organisation? Threat from set pieces? Concentration?

Do you not think the Chelsea fans had this discussion when they went for thirty-something Thiago Silva?

Maguire is an international footballer who’s played at top tier club and international tournaments and been a regular while doing it.

He’s out of favour right now and it’s cool to deride him as some sort of flat footed clogger mainly because the United fans decided he was at fault for all the problems of their defence. It’s simply not true.

Would pass on Maguire.

He'll end up at West Ham or Everton if they stay up imo. Or maybe go abroad (he'd do well in Serie A).

If Maguire really was in these parts who are the guys opposite? One half out of shot sort of looks a bit like Lange but certainly wouldn't say it's him and story surely would've leaked in today's press. 

Bit odd really he came all the way down to Cheshire to meet people at a pub five minutes from our training ground. Surely if everyone wanted it to be more discreet you'd just hire a private room at the Belfry and meet there?

3 hours ago, WHY said:

Maguire would be a decent signing imo. United look better defensively now because the back 4 have Casimero and Eriksen in front of them instead of Fred and McTomminay 

Maguire isn't actually playing though....they've started Luke Shaw ahead of him in last few games so writing is on the wall considering Martinez hasn't been ready to start after the world cup.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, VillaChris said:

Would pass on Maguire.

He'll end up at West Ham or Everton if they stay up imo. Or maybe go abroad (he'd do well in Serie A).

If Maguire really was in these parts who are the guys opposite? One half out of shot sort of looks a bit like Lange but certainly wouldn't say it's him and story surely would've leaked in today's press. 

Bit odd really he came all the way down to Cheshire to meet people at a pub five minutes from our training ground. Surely if everyone wanted it to be more discreet you'd just hire a private room at the Belfry and meet there?

Maguire isn't actually playing though....they've started Luke Shaw ahead of him in last few games so writing is on the wall considering Martinez hasn't been ready to start after the world cup.

I know that mate but the fact they have Eriksen and Casimero in there is a massive upgrade on Fred and McTom and allows them to keep and control the ball better. 

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

And hopefully our new forward is a "better" deal than Leeds' £30m for Georginio Rutter.

Two goals in 12 games this season so is he an actual CF to replace Bamford/Rodrigo or is he yet another wide forward? Leeds have endless amounts of those types.

Would be similar to us getting in Kang-in Lee.

Just now, WHY said:

I know that mate but the fact they have Eriksen and Casimero in there is a massive upgrade on Fred and McTom and allows them to keep and control the ball better. 

I always felt Maguire was best in a back 3 tbh. Considering he was never that quick he's very vulnerable in a flat back 4 now so considering how much higher we're pushing our backline up it does feel odd.

Mings is much quicker than Maguire when a ball is lofted over our backline.

Don't really see the logic to signing him for what we've playing and already got.

For all the stick we regularly give our backline it dosen't actually concede that many more goals than a few teams in top 7. We've conceded one more goal than Spurs for instance, same for Brighton and less than Fulham and Brentford. Liverpool have conceded four fewer goals but that will go up with Van Dijk out for next month.

Of course we need a more progressive passer in there but plenty of CBs in europe who'd cost half of what Maguire would who have that capability.

I'm actually surprised we're not looking at someone like Tomori. Perhaps he wouldn't be interested in leaving AC Milan but he's mid 20s, plenty of european experience and he'd certainly be an upgrade on Konsa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hilarious to see Southgate wriggle out a weird excuse for dropping Maguire forever aftr he signs for us!

He's probably on the phone to him today, begging him not to sign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Is that the only metric that matters for a centre back? What about his reading of the game? Tackling? Decision making? Organisation? Threat from set pieces? Concentration?

Do you not think the Chelsea fans had this discussion when they went for thirty-something Thiago Silva?

Maguire is an international footballer who’s played at top tier club and international tournaments and been a regular while doing it.

He’s out of favour right now and it’s cool to deride him as some sort of flat footed clogger mainly because the United fans decided he was at fault for all the problems of their defence. It’s simply not true.

Not the only important one. But one of the more important ones if you play a high line.

• Like 1