January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

20 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Jhon Duran is one of those players that's easy to dream on, but he hasn't been consistent in a league where somebody with his talent should be a lot more effective. That's not to say he wouldn't work here, but he wouldn't be the primary forward signing. He'd be a player for the future and likely won't cost much.

If we're going to splash some cash, I'd go after Dusan Vlahovic. Juventus is in trouble and needs money. That's a move I think is more realistic than most assume, though I wouldn't be surprised if bigger clubs are thinking the same.

Isn’t Vlahovic on something like £200k per week? 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im semi surprised that we havent closed out even 1 deal yet for Jan, all the clubs have had a fair few weeks to broker deals during the world cup, and a reasonable amount have signed players in advance on jan 1st.

Hopefully we arent doing a trolley rush at the end of jan.

I’m sure they have their eyes on plenty of people that won’t be last minute rushes. I wouldn’t be surprised if Emery wanted to get more than a game or two in with this squad before really seeing what positions he needed to address in the transfer window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Over the next three/ four windows we need to bring in two CB’s

We have Carlos to come back. We only need one more CB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

we need a wide player. 

Because we have 1 wide player / winger in our squad when we play a system where we utilize 2 and that one, Bailey, has been somewhat injury prone

I don't think we necessarily do. We have one wide player who we're currently playing as a forward because we don't play with traditional wide players. Someone described them in the media over the weekend as narrow wingers - they're almost wide tens.

Our shape is like this:

------------------FW---------FW------------------

------------AM--------------------AM------------

------------------DM--------DM-----------------

LB--------------CB---------CB-------------RB

-------------------------GK-------------------------

Bailey is currently playing as a forward - and even with him counted, we only have three and Archer - given that neither Watkins or Ings are really the whole answer there, I think we need one to give us numbers and depth - if we can get quality then all the better.

The AM positions, the 'narrow wingers' if you like - are well stocked with Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn and Ramsey but we might look to improve or upgrade or find someone that Emery believes he can get more out of in the position.

The DM's are our strength with Luiz and Kamara in there, we have Dendoncker as decent back up and potentially Iroegbunam to add in the future - we might look to move Nakamba on I'd guess and he might want one more for depth or competition.

Our full backs are both decent, but there's not a lot of competition - neither of them are perfect, but they aren't being pushed - Ashley Young is currently first choice back up on both sides and he's in his mid forties. Augustinsson I think will probably be let go at the end of his loan. I think we might need a couple of full backs over the next two windows.

Centre back is interesting - Mings and Konsa are reasonable Premier League centre halves, Mings can be a bit better than that, and we have Carlos to come back who, whilst he's unproven in the Premier League has a terrific reputation and, injury allowing, should be capable of playing games for us - behind them Chambers has regressed and Bednarek is unlikely to stick around - much will depend on how much faith the club has in Carlos and young Josh Feeney.

Number one Keeper isn't a problem, but it's clear we could do with a more reliable number two whose distribution is a heck of a lot better.

So, yeah, for me, I don't think we need a winger, I do think we need a forward, a couple of full backs, a number two keeper and perhaps a midfielder and centreback.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don’t think it’s that unrealistic either. It was funny the way he listed just about every position when the short form would’ve been to just say we basically need a whole new starting 11. Outside of Martinez and Kamara and possibly one or two others over the next 4 windows, I would be disappointed if most of the players we have now are still with the team/starting.

I just don't know what to think.

This is the third completely different approach in 18 months, it needs to bed in first.

I also fancy the idea of selling our players for half decent prices by them getting some game time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I just don't know what to think.

This is the third completely different approach in 18 months, it needs to bed in first.

I also fancy the idea of selling our players for half decent prices by them getting some game time.

Well they have the rest of this year to boost their value so it’s not completely hopeless in regards to selling them for half decent prices. Plus I can’t see us getting more than 1 or 2 players in the Jan window which leaves plenty of game time for the new approach to bed in with the current players.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well they have the rest of this year to boost their value so it’s not completely hopeless in regards to selling them for half decent prices. Plus I can’t see us getting more than 1 or 2 players in the Jan window which leaves plenty of game time for the new approach to bed in with the current players.

Sure nearly everyone is for sale currently as far as I am concerned. Only Martinez and Kamara isn't available in my eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we necessarily do. We have one wide player who we're currently playing as a forward because we don't play with traditional wide players. Someone described them in the media over the weekend as narrow wingers - they're almost wide tens.

Our shape is like this:

------------------FW---------FW------------------

------------AM--------------------AM------------

------------------DM--------DM-----------------

LB--------------CB---------CB-------------RB

-------------------------GK-------------------------

Bailey is currently playing as a forward - and even with him counted, we only have three and Archer - given that neither Watkins or Ings are really the whole answer there, I think we need one to give us numbers and depth - if we can get quality then all the better.

The AM positions, the 'narrow wingers' if you like - are well stocked with Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn and Ramsey but we might look to improve or upgrade or find someone that Emery believes he can get more out of in the position.

The DM's are our strength with Luiz and Kamara in there, we have Dendoncker as decent back up and potentially Iroegbunam to add in the future - we might look to move Nakamba on I'd guess and he might want one more for depth or competition.

Our full backs are both decent, but there's not a lot of competition - neither of them are perfect, but they aren't being pushed - Ashley Young is currently first choice back up on both sides and he's in his mid forties. Augustinsson I think will probably be let go at the end of his loan. I think we might need a couple of full backs over the next two windows.

Centre back is interesting - Mings and Konsa are reasonable Premier League centre halves, Mings can be a bit better than that, and we have Carlos to come back who, whilst he's unproven in the Premier League has a terrific reputation and, injury allowing, should be capable of playing games for us - behind them Chambers has regressed and Bednarek is unlikely to stick around - much will depend on how much faith the club has in Carlos and young Josh Feeney.

Number one Keeper isn't a problem, but it's clear we could do with a more reliable number two whose distribution is a heck of a lot better.

So, yeah, for me, I don't think we need a winger, I do think we need a forward, a couple of full backs, a number two keeper and perhaps a midfielder and centreback.

Pretty spot on. Need more options with forwards as we will have to rotate forwards as well. 

Fullbacks >= Forwards > Attacking Mids > CB > Back up keeper

This would be my prioritization depending on who’s available 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

There have been several players over the years who have come from MLS and been decent in the Prem (McBride, Friedel, Guzan, Howard, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Donovan for his Everton loans, etc.) but absolutely none have turned into world class players who would thrive leading the line for Villa as we push toward European competition.  The two best players of all time to have ever come out of MLS have been Alphonso Davies and Miguel Almiron.  That says something about how shit the league is.  There is a reason why the USA failed to qualify for the 2018 world cup...  The team was made up of a majority of players who ply their trade in the MLS...  

you don't need to inform me of the history of Americans in the prem trust me. You are going back quite a ways there. But while I agree mls is in no way higher quality a league overall than say maybe Belgian first div currently  , I can say the overall TALENT of  both American and foreign born/ purchased mls players is higher than the players of the generation you mentioned above. But talking currently are you saying that almiron who just now is finding his feet at Newcastle after what 3 seasons is better than Aaronson will be after 3 seasons? Or Tyler Adams for that matter ? Davies is a freak of nature and will be regarded as the best former mls player rn for sure. But  there are a lot more talented players coming thru mls first teams and academies that will make it abroad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thejoker said:

Do we need a left back? We only signed Digne 12 months ago for £20m+. We can’t keep stockpiling players. 

Young could retire end of the season and Ben Chrisene is still very young and needs a decent football league loan before he's considered ready so yes.

5 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Jhon Duran is one of those players that's easy to dream on, but he hasn't been consistent in a league where somebody with his talent should be a lot more effective. That's not to say he wouldn't work here, but he wouldn't be the primary forward signing. He'd be a player for the future and likely won't cost much.

If we're going to splash some cash, I'd go after Dusan Vlahovic. Juventus is in trouble and needs money. That's a move I think is more realistic than most assume, though I wouldn't be surprised if bigger clubs are thinking the same.

Didn't Juve sign him for about 60m? Another CL club will pick him up.

Milik is much more realistic. Good aerial presence and actually only 28 still (thought he was about 31). He keeps getting loaned out so not sure what the issue is with signing him permanently for clubs. Good scoring record in Serie A and French league in recent times.

• Like 1