January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I think people should prepare for a quiet window. The squad have proven they are not the duds some labelled them as

I think we will sign a winger and maybe a right back. I also wouldnt expect big name signings either as doesn't seem Emery style

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Not to start this whole thing again but Kessie is more of a 8 than a 6. He  can do a job in either role thou, as well as at the 10.

Regardless of this 6/8 discussion. He would be one of the CMs if he came in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think people should prepare for a quiet window. The squad have proven they are not the duds some labelled them as

I think we will sign a winger and maybe a right back. I also wouldnt expect big name signings either as doesn't seem Emery style

Yeah I think a right footed player in the mold of Bailey is top of the list for us. That's really about all we need this window. Need to send a few players out on Loan if we can like Sanson/Nakamba. Hopefully Southampton want to recall Bednarek now they've new coach and Diego Carlos is not far off coming back to fitness

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don’t quite agree with this.  I think it will depend who is available and who we can get that will determine how busy we are.  Given the level of detail and analysis Emery goes into I think by the time the window opens he’ll have an idea of areas to focus on and feelers with potentials will be had.  I can see all outcomes happening, from very little to a lot and no big signing to a couple of big signings.  I think it’s the unknown…

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t quite agree with this.  I think it will depend who is available and who we can get that will determine how busy we are.  Given the level of detail and analysis Emery goes into I think by the time the window opens he’ll have an idea of areas to focus on and feelers with potentials will be had.  I can see all outcomes happening, from very little to a lot and no big signing to a couple of big signings.  I think it’s the unknown…

I think we will keep quiet until tge summer unless we get bad injuries or unless something good comes up

A winger will definitely come through unless recall Traore or Philogene Bidace

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think we will keep quiet until tge summer unless we get bad injuries or unless something good comes up

A winger will definitely come through unless recall Traore or Philogene Bidace

I think it also depends if a winger is available.  Again I think it’s about availability of players rather than being quiet or busy or saving our pennies for the summer.  New manager, new ideas, holes in the squad re quality, post World Cup would indicate we maybe busier than a usual window but opposite that is a January window which can be quieter than summer windows and the need for Emery to spend more time with these players to assess them.

I think thinking we are either busy or quiet in the window has strong arguments either way. 

Would rather focus on quality rather than bringing in a few. While there are some deficiencies in the squad (notably backup fullbacks, additional cover at CB, and keeper) - we have a million and 1 midfielders and so a pacy winger/forward should really be our top priority. Only problem is that it will cost a few.

Pino and Chukuweze stand out obviously. Thauvin or Wolf from the Bundesliga. From Ligue 1 - Jonathan David is most likely too expensive but Tim Weah should get a hard look. Fast and direct but a little unpolished.

Edited by DJBOB

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think Emery will have just as much pull as Gerrard in his own way.  I can imagine a lot of players wanting to play for a winner like Emery and be impressed that we have secured Emery, and the PL is a draw for foreign based players and we (PL clubs) offer bigger wages in the PL generally so I can imagine players we think that are out of reach may not be.

Agreed..."in his own way" meaning "especially in Spain." I'm not going to make any predictions about particular players, but I do think that we'll be raiding La Liga, offering more money and using Unai's reputation there. What we did with Diego shows that you can pick off players from just about any club except (maybe) Real Madrid and Barcelona.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

January will be relatively quiet, but I think there will be more business in the summer that many anticipate.  

31 minutes ago, KMitch said:

January will be relatively quiet, but I think there will be more business in the summer that many anticipate.  

Yeah i dontvthink we will go crazy esp in a world cup year

Problem is we need someone like a pau torres and he will get a lot of interest post world cup i think

I think there will be  a extra premium this january because of the world cup

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

There is no way Emery would want Hazard, and neither do I. Would be a bizarre and very stupid signing, and proof we haven't learnt any lessons....

Hopefully just agent talks.

Agents knows we have wealthy owners and have already done a similarly dumb deal in Coutinho so trying to place a trap again.

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i dontvthink we will go crazy esp in a world cup year

Problem is we need someone like a pau torres and he will get a lot of interest post world cup i think

I think there will be  a extra premium this january because of the world cup

Why would that matter? If anything the winter World Cup will have the opposite effect. We’ll probably see a record breaking January transfer window.

Just now, duke313 said:

Why would that matter? If anything the winter World Cup will have the opposite effect. We’ll probably see a record breaking January transfer window.

It matters because the best players at the WC their value increases significantly