Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

When was the last time someone finished 8th with 60 + points. Scrub that who was the last team in premier league to reach 60 points and not qualify for europe in any way?

Just wish one season where we're actually pretty decent we didn't have to case an abnormally high points total to finish in one of the lower european places.

Last season Man. United finished 6th on 58 points (and they chucked the season in around March). West Ham finished 7th on 56 points.

Arsenal got 61 points in 2020/21 and finished 8th, Wolves got 59 season before that

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

The poster said they could see a situation where we are happy with a one goal loss so I assumed they meant a plausible scenario.

Spurs aren't going to lose 4-0 at home to Brentford. I'm pretty sure about that.

For all the negativity about Tottenham, they are actually above us. So they can't be that bad.

They have been woeful this calendar year and have gotten worse since Conte left

They had 26 points when Unai took over we had 12

Edited by Zatman

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Of the run un, the game I am beginning to regret is Brentford away. Wolves was always going to be a tricky game as we are their cup final.

Two extra points right now would be huge for us.

Brentford game was a point gained imo. We got battered for a lot of that match. The wolves game we dominated most of it. That was the regret game for me. Would have been nice to have had an extra 5 minutes of stoppage time which for some reason didn't exist. Funny how spurs manage to get extra minutes added on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve got a feeling we may go into the Liverpool game being happy not to lose by more than one goal..

Do you mean the players, or the manager?

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

Do you mean the players, or the manager?

Fans. If Spurs lose by a couple of goals in the early kick off, all of a sudden, losing 1 nil isn’t the ‘worst’ result in the world. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Fans. If Spurs lose by a couple of goals in the early kick off, all of a sudden, losing 1 nil isn’t the ‘worst’ result in the world. 

Riiight, I’m with you now. I was going to say, I don’t think we have a manager who is happy to go to Anfield and lose, but I think you’re right that some fans will take a narrow defeat if the Spurs game has worked out in our favour.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Our manager is not going to Anfield to organise a 1-0 loss he isn't Gerrard or Bruce

You weren’t going to miss an opportunity to stick the knife in were you! 😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

You weren’t going to miss an opportunity to stick the knife in were you! 😂

Well last trip to Anfield we were time wasting in first 10 minutes 

A justified dig 😉😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They're 10th in form table since Emery took over with 15 less points than we've accrued and have 3 managers in that period so yeah they are that bad

That bad that they will lose 4 0 at home to Brentford? I disagree but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

Something to think about if we miss out on Europe. Next season there could very likely be 5 CL places 2 EL and 1 CL as from 2024 the new Swiss Model Champions League starts. England would win the extra place most years (I think 5/6 years). Italy probably would get it this season due to how Poor Liverpool and Chelsea have been though. 

So we need to be rooting for PL teams in Europe now next season. Also with Spurs in ECL and Brighton in EL that will surely be detrimental to the PL performances for different reasons. 

So with no European football and momentum behind us from this season anything is possible. Arsenal could be broken by the failure this season (we've seen Liverpool fall off before after a tough PL title fight)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Something to think about if we miss out on Europe. Next season there could very likely be 5 CL places 2 EL and 1 CL as from 2024 the new Swiss Model Champions League starts. England would win the extra place most years (I think 5/6 years). Italy probably would get it this season due to how Poor Liverpool and Chelsea have been though. 

So we need to be rooting for PL teams in Europe now next season. Also with Spurs in ECL and Brighton in EL that will surely be detrimental to the PL performances for different reasons. 

So with no European football and momentum behind us from this season anything is possible. Arsenal could be broken by the failure this season (we've seen Liverpool fall off before after a tough PL title fight)

Could also have West Ham in EL if they win the ECL as well.

I don't think many of us were expecting Brighton to pick up three points last night, I know Arteta wasn't.

It's now going to be a shoot out between Spurs and ourselves for a Conference League place. We both have two tough games left, we are the form side, but they have the advantage with goal difference, following that penalty. In our case, Liverpool will be up for it, as they still have an outside chance of stealing a CL spot. Spurs are at home to Brentford and I don't think that's quite the gimme it would have looked until recently. On the last day, they are at Leeds, who will be fighting for their survival and we will be looking for yet another home win and hoping that Brighton haven't anything left to play for, and won't mind too much, if we do the double over them. I suspect this will go to the last day and I wouldn't want to bet against us.  

5 minutes ago, John said:

I don't think many of us were expecting Brighton to pick up three points last night, I know Arteta wasn't.

It's now going to be a shoot out between Spurs and ourselves for a Conference League place. We both have two tough games left, we are the form side, but they have the advantage with goal difference, following that penalty. In our case, Liverpool will be up for it, as they still have an outside chance of stealing a CL spot. Spurs are at home to Brentford and I don't think that's quite the gimme it would have looked until recently. On the last day, they are at Leeds, who will be fighting for their survival and we will be looking for yet another home win and hoping that Brighton haven't anything left to play for, and won't mind too much, if we do the double over them. I suspect this will go to the last day and I wouldn't want to bet against us.  

As unlikey as it may be, a result for Leicester this evening all but ends Liverpool’s hopes of a top 4 place. Tonights result could have a big impact on our trip to Anfield.