Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That final day game at Villa Park could be just absolutely ginormous - I'm going to need an ambulance on standby.

Here's a question for you.

Do you think today that we're more likely to qualify for Europe than we will be next season or less likely?

Yes

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Apparently Wolves are going to turn up against us because Portuguese players really care about a historic Midlands derby 

They will turn up against us. Not because of it being a derby, but because they lost 6-0 last match and their manager won't allow them to put in another abject performance like that. 

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Think we'll finish 8th tbh

i dont know if this is my engrained Villa pessimism, but i tend to agree with you, and depending on how we and Brentford do for our last 4/5 games, we could even be 9th?, im hopeful 8th is the lowest we would go though.

However, i do fully accept that Emery is performing far and above reasonable expectations, so i also wouldnt be surprised if he managed to pull a 7th place out of his hat, but that to me would be more of a "continuation of Emery over-performance", than what i expect.

I'm hopeful for 7th, but i dunno, we may be above Liverpool and Brighton in the table right now, but they have all the cards currently.

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you think today that we're more likely to qualify for Europe than we will be next season or less likely?

I think this heavily depends on our summer signings, will NWSE invest heavily?, and will those signings turn out to be top notch signings?.

Its a pity we started on the back foot post Gerrard, as you wouldnt expect Liverpool and Chelsea to be performing so far below their usual standard, this was probably the best season chance wise to make a European push, i would be very surprised if Liverpool and Chelsea continued the poor form next season, also you have teams like West Ham, will they return to the top 8/10 form next season?, also adding Newcastle next season if they continue their form makes it a real fight for even top 8, assuming all those clubs perform as you might expect, also, will Brighton continue to push on?, or will they get gutted over the summer?

its a tough one, it really is, i think there are a lot of variables/unknowns for next season, but i do think that IF we make 4-5 top quality signings, AND those signings live up to expectations, we could be in with a chance next season.

I dont think the current squad is capable of a European push next season without substantial reinforcements, im not saying the squad is bad, its good, but i think Emery is massively over performing with the current squad, which is great, but i think unsustainable over the long term (with just the squad we have now).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That final day game at Villa Park could be just absolutely ginormous - I'm going to need an ambulance on standby.

Thats a great question. I personally think we'll be in a similar situation/league position at the same time next season. 

5 minutes ago, colhint said:

I don't think Liverpool will be that much better they need three or four £50m players in not sure they have the money

They, Spurs, and Chelsea are downward trending. It happens to teams. There's no reason to think they will get some magic bullet treatment whereas we're on the ascendancy. You can't just throw money at a football team that has deep rooted problems or needs massive overhaul to stay relevant

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think probably better chance next season because Unai will have a full summer window, preseason, and we won't have the disaster of a start we had this season. But then you'd expect Chelsea to be better, you'd expect Liverpool to be better, Newcastle will spend money again to improve their team, Spurs I don't know because Kane leaving will leave a massive void and I could see them going backwards but if they get a good manager they'll be another one to watch. However, I see Brentford and Fulham falling down the table next season, Brighton will depend on which players they keep this summer. Wolves and West Ham could be better next season but I don't think they'll be better than us. A lot will depend on what we do in the transfer window, in my view we need a good 3-4 players to go straight into the first team to be credible top 4/6 challengers next season. 

What I want to see under current ownership and management is not a couple of seasons of flirting with Europe and then drop back into mediocrity like we have done in the past, I'd like to see us regular top 8 finishers for the next 10 years, like we were in the 90s and early 00s. If we can do even better than that and be regular top 4 or top 6 finishers like Tottenham have been the last decade even better. But I want to see consistency over a long period, we never seem to see that with this club and always end up f***ing things up, I don't want to see that play out this time whether Emery stays with us for the long haul or not. 

57 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you think today that Brentford and Brighton are more likely to qualify for Europe than they will be next season or less likely? 

• Like 1

Being a bit hungover and philosophical this morning and starting to think that no matter where we end this season it has been amazing and the one thing that emery has brought us is hope, which is an incredibly powerful and addictive emotion.

reflecting, over the past ten + years I have genuinely had moments of sheer hopelessness where I genuinely didn’t ever envisage villa doing anything of note ever again in a football sense.

shame on the perp walk of dodgy, disinterested, tight or criminal individuals who had the temerity to be the custodians of this great club and steal hope from an entire fan base.

Regardless of the ultimate destination I will be forever grateful to these owners, this manager and this group of players for giving me back some hope that all is not lost for Aston villa fc 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They, Spurs, and Chelsea are downward trending. It happens to teams. There's no reason to think they will get some magic bullet treatment whereas we're on the ascendancy. You can't just throw money at a football team that has deep rooted problems or needs massive overhaul to stay relevant

I would give you a like but it's match day I can't waste them

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If my auntie had a penis... what's with these constant negative hypotheticals about future events on here? Don't get Europe because bad things might happen. FMD let's just go back to the Championship and have a kickabout

My auntie has a penis

I'm a villa fan, I will not stop expecting bad things to happen.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Brighton look to be getting better and better in spite of having various players poached.

I’m guessing Brighton might drift next season.  There is always a smaller team that does exceptionally well one season but suffer a bit more the following season either through losing key players, other teams figuring how to play them or just not being able to keep at the same level.  Brighton were also good under Potter as well but I still think this is a peak for them.  They might even lose De Zerbi.  I hope they keep it up as long as it doesn’t affect Villa, I like non-sky6 doing well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you think today that Brentford and Brighton are more likely to qualify for Europe than they will be next season or less likely? 

Hmmm, I think Brentford have next to no chance this season and the same next season. 

Brighton are the wildcard - on paper, they don't have a team that should be as good as it is - they've got a great plan and they're where they are to some extent based on being clever in the way they've gone about stuff - clever is great, but the rest of the teams in this league aren't stupid, they'll eat clever and assimilate it into their own plans - I don't think clever is neccessarily sustainable over the long term. I think in the summer they'll lose a couple of players and maybe won't find it quite as easy to keep getting it right - that's essentially their problem, they have to keep getting it right, every single time, in order to maintain their progress. I think they'll fall back a little.

I think it's very likely someone will finish above both of those sides next year and not qualify for Europe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Adman said:

If we get Europe this year, we could easily finish 10th the following season and people will probably want Emery sacked

What concerns me is that we could easily finish 10th without Europe next season and I'd hope people wouldn't get on the managers back if that happened.

As it is, I think Europe will be tough next year, but possible. I think if we invest properly in the squad, our most likely finish would be 8th, but we'd also have a decent chance in the domestic cups and Spurs in particular might get a bit collapse-y. 

I think this month is a massive opportunity and it might take us two or three years to get back here.

20 hours ago, sne said:

Guess the idea of Brighton collapsing after losing the odd game was a bit hopetimistic

They have to play the top 4 in the space of 20 days, and then play us 4 days later. Wolves was probably their easiest game, along with Everton and Southampton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

They have to play the top 4 in the space of 20 days, and then play us 4 days later. Wolves was probably their easiest game, along with Everton and Southampton.

Yup, and now they've added another +6 to their already impressive GD.

I was thinking about Newcastle and the way in which they are developing with all that money - I think they'll finish 4th this season - they might not manage that next season, even with a huge spend - but, the likelihood is that they'll be a more secure, more genuine 5th, a squad that belongs there rather than a well balanced side with a good plan that had a good season.

I think the same might be true for us - we might be 8th next season, but a more secure, more genuine 8th, one that has a separation from the Brentford's and Brighton's, one that is a genuine threat for 7th - a side strong enough to belong - it's kind of what West Ham didn't manage to do, they rode their luck and it ran out.

I think progress might not look like a big diagonal on a graph of league placings and I think we can make big strides next season and finish 8th - but I think if we were to qualify for Europe this season, we can get a big head start on it - winning the Europa Conference might be easier than finishing 6th in the Premier League next season and if we can get in, then it'll be a huge boost for the growth of the club.

I think we're on the edge of an enormous opportunity, that game against Brighton on the last day could yet be something absolutely incredible.