Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We do, but Liverpool aren’t going to be terrible forever and will probably finish well, then have games in hand as well. And Brighton are quite simply fantastic, and also have games in hand. Whilst we need to focus on ourselves and our own performances, where we finish might not actually be up to us.

Scored 3 goals last 5 all comps and lost to Bournemouth since the Manure 7-0 anomaly. I really really hope Leeds beat them

• Like 1

There is no guarantee Liverpool will go on an amazing run as people seem to think.  Their away form is terrible, Leeds will be a tough game for them tonight, and after Forest at home they have West Ham away, which will also be a tough game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Scored 3 goals last 5 all comps and lost to Bournemouth since the Manure 7-0 anomaly. I really really hope Leeds beat them

If Leeds manage that then that will go a long way to keeping them away from us for the remainder of the season. Any idea who the other game in-hand is against? 

54 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Let's not be disappointed if we end 8th. I still think we're unlikely to get top 7 as Liverpool will go on a run with the easy fixtures they have. 8th but within a few points of the top 6 would be an insane performance

We can definitely finish above Spurs. Their next three games are Newcastle, Man United and Liverpool, and they also have to come to Villa Park. 

You'd expect Brighton to get above us if they keep playing as they are - but their fixtures are starting to pile up and again they have to come to VP. 

Liverpool have good fixtures and could well go on a run but at no time this season have they been remotely consistent because their midfield is pish, and that's not about to change. Again, we play them too, albeit at Anfield.

It's all set up very interestingly but top 6 is absolutely on, but we can't get carried away, one game at a time.

Brentford are fading but they are still a very tough away game and will want to make up for the 4-0, so we'll need to be at our best.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Momentum is crucial here.  If we get 6 points against Brentford and Fulham (which isn't that unrealistic), it'll be panic stations all round from Spurs, Brighton etc 

Spurs yep, De Zerbi and Brighton I don't think so. They are a much better side at the moment than spuds.

25 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

8th??

We have massive momentum. I have my sights on Newcastle and 4th.

6 points is absolutely doable. 

Absolutely.

If it is mathematically possible, I have faith.

Villa are in good form so why not?

Win against Brentford and Fulham and we will be right in the mix for top four!

We need to win all 7 games for top 4 really, but the way we're going... why not, But I can't see us dropping more than 6 or 7 points max. Just feels like we're in a good space. 2 draws, maybe a defeat, but I know I'm getting ahead of myself. 

Brighton are the only side in similarly great form. Newcastle were poor, but they have a few points cushion, likewise, United, lwith their injuries, but a 9 point cushion, Spurs, all over the place with a caretaker manager, Liverpool unpredictable, will obviously pick up wins, but they are going to drop points unexpectedly at least a couple of times. 

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

We need to win all 7 games for top 4 really, but the way we're going... why not, But I can't see us dropping more than 6 or 7 points max. Just feels like we're in a good space. 2 draws, maybe a defeat, but I know I'm getting ahead of myself. 

Brighton are the only side in similarly great form. Newcastle were poor, but they have a few points cushion, likewise, United, lwith their injuries, but a 9 point cushion, Spurs, all over the place with a caretaker manager, Liverpool unpredictable, will obviously pick up wins, but they are going to drop points unexpectedly at least a couple of times. 

Yep, top 4 is only possible if we win our last 7, then it probably won't matter what everyone else does. 71 points here we come 🤣

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Absolutely.

If it is mathematically possible, I have faith.

Villa are in good form so why not?

Win against Brentford and Fulham and we will be right in the mix for top four!

I agree, i know it’s cliched but the next game and that’s it really. Although us as fans can rightly get giddy, i think we’ve a manager that won’t get carried away or let the players do so. Focus on ourselves and we’ll finish were we finish. 

• Like 1

Imagine being worried about playing Brentford and Fulham. 

Get they are having a good season but there is no way we should fear them. We have a better manager and better players. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 3

I’d snap your hand off for a conference league place if you gave it to me now. Considering where we’ve come from. It would be a nice introduction for us back into European competition, get a group that’s not too taxing and doesn’t stretch us whilst getting used to playing Thursday - Sunday. Get experience, retain most of our squad, add to it obviously and kick on then the next season. I wouldn’t want a situation where we qualify for the champions league, can’t handle it and are in the bottom half of the PL next season. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’d snap your hand off for a conference league place if you gave it to me now. Considering where we’ve come from. It would be a nice introduction for us back into European competition, get a group that’s not too taxing and doesn’t stretch us whilst getting used to playing Thursday - Sunday. Get experience, retain most of our squad, add to it obviously and kick on then the next season. I wouldn’t want a situation where we qualify for the champions league, can’t handle it and are in the bottom half of the PL next season. 

Plus, we have the best possible manager in place to actually win a Europa. 

10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

We have a first class manager and wealthy owners. If we did amazingly get top 4 they would ensure we were ready, of that I'd have no doubt.

• Like 1

I don't remember if it was on here, but I saw somebody make the point that we always score at least one goal in every game. So, to beat us, the opposition have to score twice against The Best Goalkeeper In The World. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1