China Taiwan Tension

Genie

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There are some pretty big protests go on in China right now over their never ending COVID lockdowns. Could be interesting, the Chinese rarely seem to protest.

My OH has spent much of her working life there and says that we will barely hear any news about the protests but they’re definitely happening on a scale that we’ve not seen before. 
Apparently when an area goes into covid lock-down they literally chain the doors of apartment buildings shut from the outside, locking the inhabitants in. Several people died as a result of this in a block that caught fire and the general populace are very unhappy about it. 
It appears that any foreign reporter who tries to cover the protests are disappearing rather quickly. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

I'm working in China right now. The university I'm on has been in closed loop management for over a month. Teachers and staff have sometimes been allowed out and in but students need special permission to leave if they want to return home, and they can't come back. Despite that, we are still not allowed in classrooms and have to teach online. 

The protests are not that widely known here, although the Xinxinang fire definitely got through more. But I have noticed a big shift in attitude. A few weeks ago, a majority of students would say the restrictions were needed for public safety, that we had to stay strong and fight and pandemic. Now, they are tired, fed up and seriously questioning if this is necessary. 

Stay safe! 

• Thanks 1

micro-blog
Discover new things anytime, anywhere
Open App

Exclusion
2 hours ago
come from
HUAWEI Mate30 Pro 5G
Edited
#Guangdong University of Finance and Economics#
Help expand!!!
Hello, I'm the mother of the girl who fell from a building at Guangdong University of Finance and Economics. My daughter Xu Xiaote was at 9:00 a.m. on November 23.. He died in 32 dormitory buildings. On the 22nd day before, my daughter asked the school to go out for medical treatment and called 120 for emergency. 120 ambulance only helped to measure blood pressure after arriving at the school, but did not pick her up. The school treated this matter coldly, did not continue to follow up her situation, and left the students to fend for themselves.
After the accident on the 23rd, the school did not contact us at the first time. Instead, our family members took the initiative to contact us more than an hour later to know that the child had an accident. Not only that, the school also reduced the impact of this matter by deleting posts, lowering the heat search and other ways at the first time. Faced with the police's inquiry, the school refused to mention that the student had called 120 on the 22nd, trying to downplay the fact that the student asked for help. Later, in the face of the questions raised by our family members, the school frequently prevaricates with the reasons of "everything was normal before the students", "adults", "epidemic prevention and control", and never gives a positive answer.
I am a single mother. I raise my daughter as a cleaner. She is kind, smart and beautiful, which is my pride in my life. I think it is worth working hard. But now the good child suddenly disappeared! Although I am heartbroken, I also want to ask Guangdong University of Finance and Economics for a statement and truth for my daughter who is now lying in the funeral home! Why do good children choose to end their lives in an extreme way? Why didn't you contact your family at the first time of the accident? On the 22nd, the student proposed to go out for medical treatment. He once called 120 for help. Why is the school so indifferent, ignoring this abnormal signal and not following up?
Please help me, the poor mother who lost her daughter, to spread it! be deeply grateful! 

This is a translation of what is currently doing the rounds on my students social media. I doubt it will stay up very long. 

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

• 1 month later...

This is more to do with China than the tension with taiwan so think needs to go here.

What does everyone make of the report today about the crisis China are having with their population? Since they adopted (and recently scrapped the one baby rule) since then 

China's population has fallen for the first time in 60 years, with the national birth rate hitting a record low - 6.77 births per 1,000 people.

The population in 2022 - 1.4118 billion - fell by 850,000 from 2021.

This is going to be massive problem for china maintaining being a super power as they are becoming a gaing population. They are alreading having problems with their manufacturing because of the lack of people from where they once were.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is more to do with China than the tension with taiwan so think needs to go here.

What does everyone make of the report today about the crisis China are having with their population? Since they adopted (and recently scrapped the one baby rule) since then 

China's population has fallen for the first time in 60 years, with the national birth rate hitting a record low - 6.77 births per 1,000 people.

The population in 2022 - 1.4118 billion - fell by 850,000 from 2021.

This is going to be massive problem for china maintaining being a super power as they are becoming a gaing population. They are alreading having problems with their manufacturing because of the lack of people from where they once were.

They could do mass immigration like European nations and the US are doing.

Or we could realize that economic growth predicated on an endlessly growing population (workers/consumers) is a little silly as global population levels off over the next 50 years.

New systems/processes will be figured out, e.g., see Japan, which is doing pretty good with its old and declining population. Much of the scare stories around this are just that. Life if easier when population is growing, while stalling or declining is tricky. Large scale drops are where big problems emerge (e.g., US "rust belt", various post industrial parts of Europe). To be topical, Russia in the 90s, Ukraine now, Syria/Libya/Iraq more recently.

It's not going to be a massive problem for China being a "super-power", they are one by default. They have 2-3x the EU population and 3-4x the US population and all those people can buy/sell many many things. It's countries like Portugal/Netherlands/Spain/UK being super-powers that is the anomaly. Countries like Russia/Canada/Australia/Brazil are the weird ones to classify, being huge in size but with relatively small populations. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Africa as Nigeria's population peaks making it somewhere between #3-5 on global level as the century progresses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Or we could realize that economic growth predicated on an endlessly growing population (workers/consumers) is a little silly as global population levels off over the next 50 years.

New systems/processes will be figured out, e.g., see Japan, which is doing pretty good with its old and declining population. Much of the scare stories around this are just that. Life if easier when population is growing, while stalling or declining is tricky. Large scale drops are where big problems emerge (e.g., US "rust belt", various post industrial parts of Europe). To be topical, Russia in the 90s, Ukraine now, Syria/Libya/Iraq more recently.

It's not going to be a massive problem for China being a "super-power", they are one by default. They have 2-3x the EU population and 3-4x the US population and all those people can buy/sell many many things. It's countries like Portugal/Netherlands/Spain/UK being super-powers that is the anomaly. Countries like Russia/Canada/Australia/Brazil are the weird ones to classify, being huge in size but with relatively small populations. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Africa as Nigeria's population peaks making it somewhere between #3-5 on global level as the century progresses.

Japan has also loosened its restrictions on immigration in response to its demographic crisis.

Things will be interesting when the global population starts to decline and there is no longer anywhere left to import young people from. 

Maybe we will have invented robots to do everything for a global population of grey haired retirees by then? 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Maybe we will have invented robots to do everything for a global population of grey haired retirees by then? 

Now you're starting to sound like Aaron Bastani (Fully Automated Luxury Communism)

3 hours ago, villakram said:

I was actually thinking that they will probably look at immigration but cant see many in europe wanting to go there so there may look at it regions closer to them

They may have a massive population but you gotta look at the percentage of how many of those millions are of the older generation in comparison to the young generations. Been trying to obtain the data for this but its hard to find. If i was a betting man i reckon they would have a very old population.

Apparently people in china as well are not having as many kids as they would have liked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I was actually thinking that they will probably look at immigration but cant see many in europe wanting to go there so there may look at it regions closer to them

They may have a massive population but you gotta look at the percentage of how many of those millions are of the older generation in comparison to the young generations. Been trying to obtain the data for this but its hard to find. If i was a betting man i reckon they would have a very old population.

Apparently people in china as well are not having as many kids as they would have liked

They have the advantage of not really being wealthy as a nation for that long, so many of their current old population will be pretty hardened self-sufficient folk and I suspect less likely to be afflicted by the chronic consumption based medical conditions that plague the classical "western" economies.

8 minutes ago, villakram said:

They have the advantage of not really being wealthy as a nation for that long, so many of their current old population will be pretty hardened self-sufficient folk and I suspect less likely to be afflicted by the chronic consumption based medical conditions that plague the classical "western" economies.

I’ve been to China two times, once in the 80s and once in 2014. The change in the amount of overweight people was massive. It is true though, most of the obese people were younger. But when that McDonald’s fat wave hits China in 10-20 years it’ll cripple the big cities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Japan has also loosened its restrictions on immigration in response to its demographic crisis.

Things will be interesting when the global population starts to decline and there is no longer anywhere left to import young people from. 

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I’ve been to China two times, once in the 80s and once in 2014. The change in the amount of overweight people was massive. It is true though, most of the obese people were younger. But when that McDonald’s fat wave hits China in 10-20 years it’ll cripple the big cities.

There a a far fewer overweight people in China than the west. I'm sure the number has risen with McDonald's and KFC everywhere but it's still relatively small. They all do sport at university, and I think I far higher proportion of people here stay physically active through adult life. And while there is plenty of fast food, relatively healthy Chinese food remains king. 

Tobacco is definitely a problem, especially among workers. On the other hand, alcohol consumption is lower. A big proportion of students don't drink at all and much of the beer is around 3% abv (fortunately for me there is still a decent craft beer scene). 

I see China as a really healthy place overall, although that is only based on what I've observed personally. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Yeah i was reading that they have a massive diabetes  probably over there and their healthcare system is not great. 

If all the younger generation are obsese then **** knows how its going to be. I would imagine the ratio of the men to women is enormous 

Edit some data about obesity in china

Here

Edited by Demitri_C

• 11 months later...

Looks like China critical DPP and Lai Ching-Te is winning the Taiwan elections. That might interesting/scary. Wonder how China will react to that.

Tension everywhere at the moment.

Eastern Europe / Russia

China / Taiwan

Isreal, Gaza, Yemen, US, UK.

Hopefully one of these regional conflicts doesn’t spread .

Â