China Taiwan Tension

Genie

I read earlier that 50% of the worlds semi-conductors come from Taiwan so that’ll be the next thing to go down the shitter if there’s a conflict.

(In terms of the worldwide economy, obviously the loss of life is more serious).

We’re getting closer and closer to all our war.

1. China has begun live fire military drills - its biggest-ever in the region - in the waters around Taiwan
  2. This follows top US Democrat Nancy Pelosi's controversial visit to Taipei in the face of warnings from Beijing
  3. Some of the affected areas are just 12 miles off the island - the closest Beijing's military exercises have ever come
  4. Taiwan says the move, which stops ships and planes from using the space, violates its sovereignty and amounts to a blockade
  5. China sees self-ruled Taiwan - which lies 100 miles from the mainland - as a breakaway province that will eventually be under its control
  6. This comes at a time when US-China tensions have been growing

Link

China - Taiwan

China - USA

Russia - Everyone apart from China.

It really could escalate into China & Russia versus the world if things are not calmed down quickly.

Edited by Genie

USS Ronald Reagan and strike group underway

The US Navy says the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier is heading towards a stretch of ocean that includes waters southeast of Taiwan. 

"USS Ronald Reagan and her strike group are under way in the Philippine Sea continuing normal, scheduled operations as part of her routine patrol in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific," a navy spokesperson said on Thursday.

64c7a21b-3f60-48a6-987f-917d7fe0e6ae.jpg

Link

Big moments these, does China have the hunger for a war with the USA?

Edited by Genie

The world is really going to shit isn't it?

I mentioned to this to my Dad who confidently said that China won't invade. I wouldn't be so confident. Xi Jinping is another authoritarian strongman who has been in power too long and has developed hawkish groupthink like Putin.

As I said on another thread, I just don’t know what Pelosi was thinking visiting Taiwan right now. Spectacularly bad timing that was always going to lead to a response.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

As I said on another thread, I just don’t know what Pelosi was thinking visiting Taiwan right now. Spectacularly bad timing that was always going to lead to a response.

Unless that was the point 

17 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Unless that was the point 

Not even the white house wanted it. It gives China an excuse to be aggressive to Taiwan, and drives them closer to Russia. If that was the intent, there are some grade A morons in power in America.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

There wasn't one in April when a whole bunch of senators turned up.

TAIPEI, Taiwan — U.S. lawmakers visiting Taiwan on Friday made a pointed and public declaration of their support for the self-governing island democracy while also issuing a warning to China.

The six lawmakers met with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen on Friday morning and will also meet with the island's defense minister.

The delegation, led by Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, also includes Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Sen. Robert Portman of Ohio, Sen. Benjamin Sasse of Nebraska and Rep. Ronny Jackson of Texas.

27 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

There wasn't one in April when a whole bunch of senators turned up.

Yeah there was, China threatened 'strong measures' in response to those visits. So then the US does it again. How is that not provocative? 

Look, I'm no fan of China's government, but this was a rash move at entirely the wrong time. A time where they are itching for an excuse that legitimises on the world stage an invasion of Taiwan. 

They will have seen the worldwide response to Russia, and it will have given them pause, but they can sell this as justification to countries that would otherwise have denounced their actions. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And what were those "strong measures" that they then followed through with?

Could they not say they were being 'moderate' by not kicking off militarily then, and now once provoked again, they are exercising force? They are firing ballistic missiles now. It just plays into a 'reluctant use of force' narrative.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

An invasion will cripple the worldwide economy including China and the US. Combined with Russia throttling the gas and oil supplies the short term future could be extremely bleak.

The long term future is already bleak. We needed some sort of global response to climate change years ago and now we are headed towards a minimum of the military industrial machine being the growth priority, or at the worst lots more war. 

This world wide military BS moving borders on maps is the global equivalent of shuffling around the deck chairs on the Titanic. Who gives a crap where the border is when all the crops fail? Can the latest stealth fighter drop a bomb on famine? Can a tank crush pestilence? Bunch of **** idiots in charge all over the world.

• Like 1

Â