China Taiwan Tension

Genie

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its been four months since pelosi visited??

No, it's been four months since the thing that was being discussed happened. The cross party Senate delegation visiting Taiwan. Back in April. 

Just now, ml1dch said:

No, it's been four months since the thing that was being discussed happened. The cross party Senate delegation visiting Taiwan. Back in April. 

Yes but this is not as significant as yesterdays event. You can see this has pissed China off

After being so sure that Russia were just posturing for effect, and subsequently being horrified with the invasion, i don’t think you can rule anything out now.

This could well result in some form of military mobilisation from China, and surely it pushes them and Russia closer to forming an official alliance to act as a rival to NATO - this would be very bad in my unqualified opinion. 

Like with most things these days, I just don’t get it, I don’t get the timing, I don’t get the point she’s trying to make with the visit beyond the obvious. Reckless, arrogant, crass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

After being so sure that Russia were just posturing for effect, and subsequently being horrified with the invasion, i don’t think you can rule anything out now.

This could well result in some form of military mobilisation from China, and surely it pushes them and Russia closer to forming an official alliance to act as a rival to NATO - this would be very bad in my unqualified opinion. 

Like with most things these days, I just don’t get it, I don’t get the timing, I don’t get the point she’s trying to make with the visit beyond the obvious. Reckless, arrogant, crass.

I can suggest a possible theory regarding timing. 

China have leadership elections for their president every 5 years. The public aren’t allowed to vote of course but the party elites vote amongst themselves to decide the president of China. 

The presidency was supposed to have a two term limit, like the US does, preventing a dynasty type situation but the current guy had this limit rule abolished to allow him to rule for life. 

However, he still needs to be confirmed every 5 years and the next confirmation to approve his 3rd term as president comes up in the autumn. 

I suspect there is probably a bit of a push to try and prevent it being a smooth decision that his party members have to make. 

Edit: It’s also worth mentioning the US have their own elections in November and being ‘tough on China’ is a vote winner. 

Edited by LondonLax

9 hours ago, Genie said:

64c7a21b-3f60-48a6-987f-917d7fe0e6ae.jpg

Link

Big moments these, does China have the hunger for a war with the USA?

I posted this on the Russia/Ukraine thread. 

Before the Ukraine invasion I wondered if China would consider a Russian military alliance to challenge NATO.  But the Russia armed forces have proven so inept that they could easily be defeated by European NATO plus Canada. 

That would leave China to face USA, Japan, South Korea and Australia.  That's not a conflict that looks like an easy fight. 

It's one hell of a risk for China.   Especially when Chinese weapons are largely unproven in conflict and haven’t been test against NATO equivalents.  Russia thought it had a powerful military. They have now discovered the truth.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

As I said on another thread, I just don’t know what Pelosi was thinking visiting Taiwan right now. 

Pure arrogance from her. 

I can't see China invading. It would lead to consequences with the States and neither country wants that. China can't afford to be sanctioned like Russia were/are. They rely too much on western consumerism. 

Russia was fairly isolated anyway, but China and the west are ingrained financially. 

Again from the Russia thread......

China looks after China first, second and last.  Their best route to becoming even more powerful is to rape Russia of its gas supplies at rock bottom prices.  China is the only viable customer when the EU stops buying. 

We don’t see everything so it’s possible Taiwan or the US had intelligence China were going to try something and the US visit was just a reminder who their good friends are.

Saying that I can’t see China trying to take Taiwan by force. It would be one of those scenarios where everybody loses.

Maybe Russia making their mess and underestimating the Western sanctions is also a reminder of what they’d be getting into. 

Edited by Genie

I remember reading an article suggesting that because Taiwan is such a large producer of the worlds supply of microprocessors and chips that they should operate a scorched earth policy that in the event they were to be invaded by China they would blow up all the mines and factories rendering any further production null and void. 

It's also probably a reason why America are so heavily invested in defending them in the first place as they are also so reliant on stuff produced by Taiwan.

Remember finding it intriguing when reading it at the time.

Edit i found said article.

https://press.armywarcollege.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3089&context=parameters

Edited by AshVilla

• 2 months later...

Could one of the experts on here lay out what would happen to China if in response to an invasion of Taiwan, an allied US and Europe placed an embargo on all Chinese products. Is it feasible? What would it do? Would there be an impact?

On 18/10/2022 at 15:13, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Also quite alarming that China appear to have been recruiting former RAF pilots to gain all intel on how best to understand (defeat) Western tactics. This world is an absolute mess right now

I wonder if people would consider that kind of thing treasonous? 

It definitely doesn’t sit comfortably with me.

• 1 month later...
Â