FIFA 23

Straggler

Pitch notes

Career Mode playthroughs have always been a unique part of FIFA, specifically because they require the right mix of being able to get the best results and the desire to progress as fast as possible towards the big matches like finals, six-pointers, or promotion play-offs. That is why we introduced Interactive Simulation to Manager Career two years ago, but even with that addition, we still want to add more to the Career Mode progression toolkit.

Nothing exciting at all in there for me and I only do manager mode careers.  I imagine by FIFA 24 they will have a skip to the end of career button to save you all the hassle of playing the game at all. 

Where is the feature for people who like to get stuck in the lower league and grind games out with talentless players fluffing 1 star skill moves?

Actually I do like having a 3rd kit in create a club. I hope the editor is a bit more flexible too.

Edited by Straggler
Link didn't work

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Another year where they'll have fixed everything and somehow made it less enjoyable to play 

Fixed everything is quite optimistic! 22 is still littered with bugs

Oh, yeah, these things don't get fixed.

Also the trend of removing a feature, and then adding it back in a couple years later and marketing it as a big addition.

I wonder if they've fixed the online seasons bug yet? 

If you play online seasons solo or co-op and choose to play as a 1-4star team. It will consistently match you up against 5 star teams. Which is no fun to play. Even if you turn the matchmaking settings to "restrictive" (which is supposedly meant to match you up against similar rated teams) it's still bugged. This bug has existed in both FIFA21 and FIFA22. Complete garbage. 

Edited by PieFacE

Reading the article, waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Okay, GK kits in Create-A-Club, that's good (and should have been in from the start anyway).  3rd kits a nice-to-have, I guess.  Getting to play as a real manager, finally, happy with that.  More save files is nice (remember when they took the number right down one year, then the next year they put it back up to what it was and harped about that like it was a new feature?) but I'd have preferred a longer-than-15-year career instead.

Ah.  There it is...

"We’ve also removed the toggle between Transfer and Wage Budget as the split did not make any difference to how it affected your funds overall."

...no you cretins, it doesn't affect the overall budget but it's absolutely the difference between being able to eek out enough cash from unused wage budgets to afford better scouts when you're playing as a smaller club. *sigh*  Like, why even take that out?  It's a tiny feature that if the player wanted to ignore, they easily could and it wouldn't impact the flow of gameplay at all.

All the Create-A-Club stuff, whist welcome, is still doesn't have all the functionality of ~5 years ago where they had that Unity Engine-powered web-based app for creating teams you could then download into your game.  You could upload badges and sponsor logos and have a near-perfect facsimile of teams that weren't in the game.  If they'd facilitate user-uploaded images into Create-A-Club like they did with the old app, it'd be such a killer feature.

• Like 2

for me they wont fix the difficulty level meaning that I'll spend the 10 hour trial trying to find the correct balance while being infuriated that on world class EA think making my player unable to kick a football 5 yards makes the game harder rather than making it shitter

they wont fix scouting either

and career mode will have the same hub that its had for about 5 years now

I've been selected to take part in the Beta testing of it on Xbox. Have it downloading now. Until Sept 1 I'll have access to Career Mode, Kick off, Practice Arena, Online seasons and online friendlies.

No idea why I got selected, I only tend to play player career mode, can't be doing with the tantrum babies chucking their toys out the pram in online mode.

• Like 1

Also keen to see how career mode looks.  I usually create a player based on myself and play him at Villa alongside the CPU teammates.  Needed an overhaul from Fifa 22 to make it more realistic though.

Team selections were bizarre at times and no resting/rotation for cup ties etc.. 

34 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Also keen to see how career mode looks.  I usually create a player based on myself and play him at Villa alongside the CPU teammates.  Needed an overhaul from Fifa 22 to make it more realistic though.

Team selections were bizarre at times and no resting/rotation for cup ties etc.. 

I'll let you know how it is once the 44.6gb downloads!

• Thanks 1

So installed Fifa23 Beta, and firstly it takes you to the training centre where you go through playing a game (PSG v Liverpool) and it assesses your skill level and recommends accordingly and changes the level as you play. I've only played 2 games in the Training Centre as full Beta doesn't unlock til 5pm UK time.

First impressions on playing 2 games is that the gameplay is a real improvement on Fifa22 (and especially 21 and 20 which annoyed the hell out of me when it comes to defending). It does feel more fluid and the off the ball movement of your AI team mates and the build up play more realistic and less 'arcadey'.

The kits are still last seasons, though I guess that will update to this season upon the full Beta being unlocked.

First game was PSG v Liverpool. Played as PSG and like I said more fluid play, Liverpool scored agains the run in play but scored 2 to win it. And, for what seems something I never have been good at, scored from a cross to win it.

Second game was what the Training Centre called 'classic match' Villa v Baggies. Which I won 2-0. A goal from Digne ghosting in the far post from a Cash cross and a Watkins strike from a Coutinho through-ball. Again crossing is improved on this and the corner system changed now. A nice touch is showing a flag above a player in an offside position so you don't pass to him. This could all be just for training centre so will say more once the full Beta is unlocked.

Tackling is improved, and playing the Villa game the full backs did bomb on a fair bit, whilst defending wasn't as easy as when I played as PSG (obviously), but you can tell the AI on both the CPU teams and your team is much better than previous Fifa's.

First impressions from playing in the training centre is that it does feel more intuitive.

• Like 2

On 02/08/2022 at 14:14, Straggler said:

Pitch notes

Nothing exciting at all in there for me and I only do manager mode careers.  I imagine by FIFA 24 they will have a skip to the end of career button to save you all the hassle of playing the game at all. 

Where is the feature for people who like to get stuck in the lower league and grind games out with talentless players fluffing 1 star skill moves?

Actually I do like having a 3rd kit in create a club. I hope the editor is a bit more flexible too.

Fifa 24 won't be through EA, so be interesting to see where they go with it.

Now it's on properly and the game modes activated (I have career mode so playing manager mode at Villa). have to say it's great. Far better than FIFA22. It flows so well, your AI teammates actually run into space and offer for the pass.

Signed Dybala and Sangare, turfed el Ghazi, Davis and Traore out. Playing a high oress with width. Just won first preseason 3-0 against Sevilla. 

The difference between even this in Beta and FIFA 22 is like night and day so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jeeze I hope the gameplay has improved a lot.  Career mode is basically identical.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't have the same bugs in 23 too.  Getting a grade for transfers is a waste of programming time.  I don't give a crap if I have hit the algorithm's idea of a good deal and it in no way represents how a real club is run.  I was kinda hoping they were keeping their powder dry for another bigger feature, but it really is a minor reskin.  It really is just third kits and keeper kits, that I like as an option and even then the editor looks identical which is uninspiring.  EA suck.

Â